Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that the Model X | Tesla Motors page was built using images (photoshopped in part) of the brown roller that we saw offstage at the event.

After our jokes about the floating X in Elon's garage (yes, let's take credit for this!), they've replaced it with a pic of the real prototype (more greenish gray in color) photoshopped (with landscaping and all) into the garage.

You can see the differences between the brown roller and the gray prototype - the wheels in particular for sure.

I hope they'd update all the images on the website with the real proto's pics. The brown roller wasn't as pretty and the pics on the website don't do justice to the X as unveiled...

Exactly. I forgot the name of the dark one (it was on the board), but the lighter one is titanium and is a far better color. I don't even know why they use the turd one on the site -- makes it look like one of the Mazda crossovers and hides much of the lines.

It appears that the Model X | Tesla Motors page was built using images (photoshopped in part) of the brown roller that we saw offstage at the event.

After our jokes about the floating X in Elon's garage (yes, let's take credit for this!), they've replaced it with a pic of the real prototype (more greenish gray in color) photoshopped (with landscaping and all) into the garage.

You can see the differences between the brown roller and the gray prototype - the wheels in particular for sure.

I hope they'd update all the images on the website with the real proto's pics. The brown roller wasn't as pretty and the pics on the website don't do justice to the X as unveiled...

The other thing that I noticed about the new pic in the garage is that the lowest piece of trim looks a little like carbon fiber. Is that how it was on the prototype?

I'm late to the party . . . but anyway . . .

Model S is a beautiful vehicle which hides its innovation under the hood - quite literally in the case of the frunk. It's an excellent example of "no other manufacturer offers this".

With the Falcon doors, Tesla have produced an unecessarily polarising/contentious design statement. Other manufacturers could offer this, but very few choose to and the examples which do exist tend to be at the "no kids" end of the market.

I would much prefer Model X to feature a full set of conventional doors, but to offer a range of more radical interior configurations/options.

For example, the 2nd row seats could be rear-facing and/or could move closer together/further apart to help improve 3rd row access when needed. When it comes to packing the kids/shopping/luggage/sports equipment, there are lots of possible solutions; it doesn't have to be just about where you put the door hinges.

Come on Tesla: put the fun on the inside and get the owners involved. Continue from Model S, allowing greater customer choice/opportunity to play around with the interior rather than a designer-knows-best single fixed solution.

For one thing, this will provide more opportunities to sell accessories - third party Tesla-branded folding bicycles, anyone?

Seems to me the polarizing design feature at the Model S debut was the rear facing child seats. Elon promised to keep them, and he kept that promise, though they became optional. Perhaps the Falcon Doors will be an option as well. (Though, at this point I'm still betting on dual function.)

I think the dual-mode doors, while interesting, would be too expensive to implement at this point. The vehicle has to be pretty much "as is" to make the production schedule. While the doors were admittedly a bit of a shocker for many, Tesla has almost two years to help normalize the concept for potential buyers and sooth concerns about fitting in garages, snow falling inside in winter and all the other worries that have been voiced.

Just one thing, they better freakin' work well in practice.

Typos can sometimes teach you things. Didn't know 'wether' meant until I looked it up.

I think most people will like the falcon doors once they get used to them and see them. It may be a little odd but most people will be using the driver or regular passenger doors for most of their trips unless they're moving people around of course which is kind of the point of this car.