Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure we've gotten official numbers (though I thought we did), but it was pretty much settled that it didn't open high enough to worry about garage door openers. The hatch also has adjustable opening height, so perhaps the falcon doors do too.

Lastly, consider that the X really isn't as tall as other SuVs. Think Toyota Venza.

Lots of posts regarding the door height/clearance. Here are the 3 measurements I'd like to see Tesla provide.

I've seen lots of posts concerned with garage door opener height. Since the garage door opener (lowest part of the door opening assembly) is either directly in the middle, or off to the side, I don't necessarily see this as the biggest problem. My garage door is 7'9" from the floor, so those having estimated 7'1" and up to 7'6" shouldn't have a concern if those measurements end up to be true.

But, I'd still really like to know measurements A and B for garage door concerns/peace of mind. Those with parking deck concerns would really want to know C.

These may also be moot points if there is an adjustable maximum height that can be set.

View attachment 4267

I posted this a while back. As long as we can get these measurements, for the most part (in the US anyway), should answer everyone's questions. EU is different since their parking is tradtionally smaller.

The Falcon doors reach 7' when opened. They are power moved. It doesn't matter if a kid presses the button.
I speculated that the car can learn the available height at every location he ever visited to stop the doors short of dinging. Other suggested this will work using e.g. ultra sonic distance sensors (=parking sensors if applied horizontally). We'll see with what clever solution Tesla will come up.

Couldn't Tesla just allow for the Model X to open both how it normally opens and allow it to open like this.

Sure the doors would open really wide, but you'd only do that when you have something on your roof. Otherwise it would just open normally.

The roof rack could even have a hinge so that when nothing is on the roof, it can still open normally. But when something is on the roof, it would open the way I show below.

Attachments

• Roof Rack Capable Model X.JPG
    Roof Rack Capable Model X.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,533
GeorgeB dangled a fat one in front of me at this weekend's Get Amped event in Fremont. He told me that they're doing some new things with the Falcon doors that are quite exciting. Then he just grinned.

Anyway, it's causing me to go nuts speculating about it and I thought that I'd share the anguish with you guys! ;)

My theory ... remember those station wagon back doors that hinged on both the top and side so you could open from either direction? Yep, that's my theory. Depending on what you need (complete access to the back or traditional opening w/roof rack), you can have it.

Just a theory. I have no reason to believe this is true. But that would be awesome.

My theory ... remember those station wagon back doors that hinged on both the top and side so you could open from either direction? Yep, that's my theory. Depending on what you need (complete access to the back or traditional opening w/roof rack), you can have it.

Just a theory. I have no reason to believe this is true. But that would be awesome.

It might be cheaper to engineer this ^^^ than to engineer a fancy motorized roof rack that moves out of the way so the doors can open. Also has the added benefit of capturing those people that think the falcon doors are just too fancy.

Thanks Lyon... Can't wait to see what creative solution they have come up with for the falcon doors ! Personally I like the falcon doors for the rear, may have hesitated a bit if they were also for the front doors .

Obviously I agree:
What I suggest, though, (and this would take some engineering, but nothing that hasn't been done before) would be to make the doors capable of both side opening and fold-up falcon-wing.

Basically like those side-opening and fold-down tailgates:
2010_honda_ridgeline_tailgate_standard_open.jpg

2010_honda_ridgeline_tailgate_side_open.jpg

I grabbed a shot of the inside of the falcon door that I'm not sure I've seen anywhere before.

2012-06-30 18.07.45.jpg
2012-06-30 18.07.49.jpg
2012-06-30 18.07.58.jpg
2012-06-30 18.08.06.jpg

Overall, there seems to be more interior storage options (inside the doors particularly) than in the S. Hopefully this makes it to production.