Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I grabbed a shot of the inside of the falcon door that I'm not sure I've seen anywhere before.

View attachment 7282

Overall, there seems to be more interior storage options (inside the doors particularly) than in the S. Hopefully this makes it to production.

How about they put cup holders in the falcon wing doors? That way if you didn't have time to shower before leaving, you're set.

According to this interview of Elon
In deep with Tesla CEO Elon Musk: Financials, Falcon doors and finding faults in the Model S

they apparently did evaluate having part of the door slide under

There are a few ways to accomplish that. One is to do the double-hinge and the other is to do a double door, so you have part of it go down. It may have been Franz who came up with the double-hinge approach, I'm not sure, but the double-hinge one work better than the double opening. And so when I was shown the options, I said let's do that one.

I imagined a la TEG's Jatech post Model X Falcon Doors - Page 3

My theory ... remember those station wagon back doors that hinged on both the top and side so you could open from either direction? Yep, that's my theory. Depending on what you need (complete access to the back or traditional opening w/roof rack), you can have it...

I was reading an old magazine and noticed this old advetisement:
xuv1.jpg

xuv2.jpg

(As mentioned in another thread "@Lutz: The answer to a question nobody asked.")

those falcon doors will definitely not open in most garages

Just FYI: There's plenty of that discussion up-thread. This was a calculation I did way back....

Try this.....Assuming the Tesla webpage is to scale (and they would be pretty stupid if it isn't!) they show a Model S and a Model X side by side and we know they have stated that the Model S will be 56.5" high. Just some simple measuring and multiplying suggests that the Model X will have a maximum open doors height of 84.75":

View attachment 4220
The arrows and inches are my additions to this pic!

A report on Facebook owners' forum from the shareholder meeting:

Says model X gullwing door will have pinch and proximity sensors to prevent pinching a child's finger or hitting the car/wall next to u. Seems like they are putting lots of thought into it.

Also added:

Elon say model x all wheel drive will have millisecond response time. Compare to the latency of conventional all wheel.

When American people start discussing about garage size, the model X never make its way to Japan :) many Japanese mechanical parkings have height limit to 79 or 81 inches. Why is Tesla making cars so big?

Right now Tesla needs cars with a high profit margin. Bigger car = higher profit margin. The smaller cars will come. ローマは一日にしてならず。石の上に三年。

@bonnie1194: yes I read that. It may help some cases but may not some. For example some parkings might not be designed to work with Model X; for example some might have side bars that limit the side movement of doors, and some might trip the height sensor of the parking and it might not reset after you close the doors and lowers the height. Who knows... I would like Tesla to succeed and though Japan is small with 3.4m annual new cars, there might be similar parking issues in other countries.

@jerry33: I understand. Tesla could actually be able to boost sales here by going smaller by only 2-3 inches I guess.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta