Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A cyclist driving on roads, has to look in the direction he/she is cycling.

Legally it is your fault, not the cyclist's. If you leave the door open and another vehicle or cyclist crushes into it you are responsible in all countries I have checked so far. I checked a few countries including the US, Australia and UK and in all of them that is the case. You might not like the law but if your MX door injures a cyclists you would end up paying a lot of money for personal injury claims if your insurance doesn't cover that.

Here are some links:
The laws of car doors | UK Cycle Rules - information on cycling law in England and Wales
Bicycle Accidents - WhoAndres & Berger
My open car door was hit by another vehicle. Who is at fault? | Membership | RACQ

Thinking along the same lines, I wonder whether it is technically possible for a delivery truck to hit the door considering that it sticks out a little and the side of a delivery truck is totally vertical. It would hit anything that sticks out at any height. As the MX driver not only would you be responsible for the accident but it would be also very dangerous to people inside the car.

The top of the doors are only a small amount out of the car and you want to hit them?
Check these pictures. It's not a small amount.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadt...ide/36539023/tesla-model-x-front-exterior.jpg
http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadt...ride/36539101/tesla-model-x-rear-exterior.jpg

Yes, like them or not Elon has made it very clear that the falcon doors are here to stay for the Model X. I think we should give the talented engineers at Tesla the benefit of doubt and see what they come up with as a final product before all the criticisms start. I, for one, look forward to enjoying this new feature of the car. As many have said already earlier, Tesla has innovated many new aspects of car design, manufacturing, purchasing, and service. Why not a new type of door as well? All the talk about fingerless children and decapitated cyclists just strikes me as wasted energy on low probability events which may never happen.

The impact surface is very small which makes the impact more deadly. To understand how deadly this is you could try this experiment. Pick a regular cutlery knife from your cutlery set. Lay it on the table and punch down to it with your fist. This won't hurt. Now leave the knife on the table but turn it 90 degrees so that the sharp edge faces the table and the unsharp but thin side faces up. Try to hit it now and see the difference. Because the impact surface is much smaller it will hurt a lot more. Seriously I would expect a cyclist to die immediately who hits that sharp blade.

I just tried this to better understand where you are coming from. You never told me how hard to punch! There is blood EVERYWHERE and I still have no idea how this could remotely be a legitimate concern.

I believe the purchase of a recumbent bicycle would really put your fears to rest.

As a cyclist I can tell you I am far more concerned with people opening their front doors than with the falcon door.

Why Door Zone Cycle Lanes are Dangerous - YouTube

I couldn't agree with you more. As an avid cyclist I am far more worried about regular doors, wet roads, sand and low hanging branches.
Oh and how about moving cars that I can't even see coming up behind me. :smile:

My years were in Boulder - must be a difference between rural and North Boulder. My experience was that a side of the car would freeze if it had snow on it, warmed during the day, then froze at night - but only the side that didn't completely heat in the sun.
Have you had problems with the model s hatchback freezing shut?
Sorry for the delay in responding--spent the day doing farm chores while cyclists were being decapidated on the forum. But, frozen doors will prove much less of a threat to all those Boulder cyclists that are on the road when it's 10 below. City Council is now reducing the number of required parking spaces for new businesses and apartments since they are so sure that everyone will trade in their car for a bike when they move to town...but, I digress; back to your questions:

The S gets to sleep in the garage, and since it's still my special baby, it rarely goes out when salt and gravel is down, or is expected. But I do have this problem with the Audi and SLK trunks. The conditions you describe do occasionally occur with all of my cars, particularly now that we are now experiencing Kansas City weather (freezing drizzle). More common is water getting on the sealing face of a door (or trunk) seal (you know, when the car is warm after a slow drive into town, and that snow on the roof lands in your lap when you open the door, some of it also lands on the door seal). Come back after dark and that door just isn't going to open willingly.

Something tells me we are done with the cycling talk.

I suspect you are correct.
Oops, sorry for the transgression. There sure is a lot of hilarious content on the past 10 or so pages. Bonnie is really in full swing today.

Last edited:
I suggest TM to use the follwing images in their Model-X marketing campaign :wink:

111891d1130069467-headless-horseman-bike-img_0048.jpg

headless-rider1.jpg

Wow, when you have months to wait, even years look what happens. We really need the design studio and a model x to drive to get us back on track.

I'm just grateful you didn't say a moderator to get us back on track. Because that's me. And I helped find the shark that we all jumped. :)

Seriously, it was time to just get silly. We've beat this topic into the ground.