Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not so sure. you remember suicide doors were wacky just a few years ago, notably suicidale until mazda solved the inherent problems and came out with the rx8 and then the mini clubman and suddenly they are common place......... anything can happen as long as the manufacturing and safety processes and concerns are delt with and met then we could well see "falcon" doors a couple of years down the road.

I'd take that bet.

I really can't see Tesla making a huge deal about the doors and then not putting them in the production version. The extendable handles are in the S, even though many said they were impractical.

I've said it before: Tesla cant afford to be one of those car makers to lure people in with crazy stuff in a prototype that doesn't make it to production. Other than the blue light pipes on the front, I can't think of anything significant that didn't make it into the S.

If there is a backlash against the doors then I think Tesla could easily just replace them with traditional doors BUT I think they are very proud of these doors and excited about them and they are headed for production (barring a backlash).

In general I think the people at Tesla are pretty level headed. I doubt they would be excited about something that is entirely unworkable. They must believe that the positive benefits of the doors vis-a-vis traditional doors outweigh any negatives.

We have to remember that you've got a massive battery and you can place tiny electrical motors in places that other automakers can't (Exhibit A: The Panoramic Roof). So there's no doubt these doors will be fully electrically operated (like sliding minivan doors) so reach is not an issue.

In case of an accident they might completely "tear away" like an airplane exit hatch.

And Tesla might simply make them an option (like the Pano roof) for people that want them and have traditional doors for those that don't.

Last edited:
I worry a bit that Tesla is off to the races, placing a concept car into production without the usual time to let wiser heads prevail. We'll see soon....

Hasn't the design been fairly worked out since June-ish of last year (when Elon said he thinks it's time to reveal it)? If so, they've had a while to actual work out the details and produce a prototype.

And Tesla might simply make them an option (like the Pano roof) for people that want them and have traditional doors for those that don't.

I hadn't considered that. Plausible, especially if there isn't a huge structural difference either way.

there probably would be quite a structural difference since with sliding doors and that large of a vehicle the doors would probably be too long to slide from front to back. for conventional doors you need a B-pillar or suicide doors. so in the end I think it's either a full montey or nothing.................... I bet the falcon doors make it to production. they've figured out how and as WK said they can easily make them electrified for convenience.

Hasn't the design been fairly worked out since June-ish of last year (when Elon said he thinks it's time to reveal it)? If so, they've had a while to actual work out the details and produce a prototype.
And they're not shipping for another 20+ months (end of 2013). There's time for adjustments. Think of where the Model S was 20 months ago.

Yes but they are revealing a fully functioning near production advanced prototype. So I am pretty sure that it will be "what you see is what you get" and that will be about 90-95% true.
Yea, well, I'll take it with a few grains of salt :). They said much the same thing about the prototype Model S. It might be a bit of semantics though, they could changes the doors and do quite a bit of styling detail and still be 90% the same. The biggest thing is they've got the skateboard and presumably a lot of the inner frame work stays the same or close to it (like crumple zone, pillars, etc) so there is a lot of "guts" level stuff that's finished.

Yes but they are revealing a fully functioning near production advanced prototype. So I am pretty sure that it will be "what you see is what you get" and that will be about 90-95% true.

Perhaps that means interior/dashboard too. Might provide clues as to how the Model S final dash might look. I'll be curious to see their implementation of the screen on the X as well.

This from an article today on www.autoblog.com:

So, what are falcon doors? Having seen photos of the Model X, Theo O'Neill of Wunderlich Securities explains that they "lift up and fold – like the wing of a bird," pivoting from the top. Apparently, this will help the Model X achieve its "functionality of a minivan" mandate, allowing easy access to attend to child car seats and such.

tesla-model-x-falcon-628.jpg

Yea, well, I'll take it with a few grains of salt :). They said much the same thing about the prototype Model S. It might be a bit of semantics though, they could changes the doors and do quite a bit of styling detail and still be 90% the same. The biggest thing is they've got the skateboard and presumably a lot of the inner frame work stays the same or close to it (like crumple zone, pillars, etc) so there is a lot of "guts" level stuff that's finished.

Flip side is that not really much changed on the Model S either. Yes some minor cosmetic stuff but generally it is as released at that time. I personally think that the Model X is not really that far behind the Model S in production. I think what we will be seeing Thursday will be considered an Alpha stage not a prototype. And quite possibly it will be a Beta stage.

If there is a backlash against the doors then I think Tesla could easily just replace them with traditional doors BUT I think they are very proud of these doors and excited about them and they are headed for production (barring a backlash).

Elon's latest tweet more or less confirms that:

Yes, we will unveil a fully functional advanced prototype of the Model X -- almost identical to production.