Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm I the only one thinking that the Falcon doors will be in the rear and there will be two "regular" doors in the front? It'd be crazy if the only doors on the vehicle were falcon doors but I wouldn't put it past Tesla.
I agree that, from the pic, it looks like the front doors will be the normal variety, and the "falcon" doors will provide access to the rear two rows.

tesla-model-x.top.jpg

Tesla unveils its Model X plug-in SUV with 'falcon wings' - Feb. 9, 2012

Elon is, what, 6'3"? What do you make the required vertical clearance for those falcon doors, open, to be? Looks to be at least 8'. That could be a problem in some parking garages and home garages.
Looks less than 8'. I've seen very few garages or parking structures that weren't 8' ceilings. They exist, but it's definitely not the norm (at least on the west coast).

This is pretty much one of the two concepts I had in my mind, the other being doors that rotated back as well as folded up like bird wings. Anyway, I was hoping the real falcon doors would fold flatter than these. Maybe have the lower section fold under more? Count me as "not impressed." They should have stuck with normal swing or sliding doors.

They never said, but... can you open the doors manually? I'd hate to be in a parking garage with low ceilings only to have the door motor happily go crashing the door into the ceiling.
The rear of my current SUV has a "3/4" setting that is user adjustable. You can open up "fully" or to your preset 3/4 mark -- designed for avoiding garage conflict.

Presumably/hopefully Tesla will do something similar with the falcon doors.

Elon is, what, 6'3"? What do you make the required vertical clearance for those falcon doors, open, to be? Looks to be at least 8'. That could be a problem in some parking garages and home garages.

Heh, this time I was faster. I wrote this at 8:12 pm in another thread:

Isn't Elon 6'4 or something? Those must be some wheels. Difficult to tell how large it is. Would be interested to see a Model S next to it.

Elon is like 6' 1" or 6' 2", Franz is 6' 4", 6'5" with the hair.

The Falcon Doors are adjustable so that you can set the maximum height (like the Audi Q7) so if your garage is only 7' tall (like mine) you can still fit.

Model X is taller than the S but still not very tall relative to minivans or SUV's.

The Falcon Doors are adjustable so that you can set the maximum height (like the Audi Q7) so if your garage is only 7' tall (like mine) you can still fit.

How do you know this?

I hope they may put ultrasonic sensors along the door each side to give confidence that you won't hit the car next to you, the wall you parked next to or the roof above you. Automating that would be a huge reassurance - especially when you think of it as a family car and your five-year-old may be pressing the door open button in the back.

Last edited:
I hope they may put ultrasonic sensors along the door each side to give confidence that you won't hot the car next to you, the wall you parked next to or the roof above you. Automating that would be a hug reassurance - especially when you think of it as a family car and your five-year-old may be pressing the door open button in the back.
I, for one, prefer hug reassurance when I hot the car next to me.

I must say the "falcon" effect is less than I was expecting, and it looks as if it might only take 6 inches or less off the arc. I guess that's enough to make it worth while, but I'm still trying to decide if this design is worth the complexity over a conventional door, especially considering the height issues in many places. I could not fully open those doors in my parent's garage, which means they'd probably be hanging down in the way for a nice head bashing if not careful. Plus some parking garages.

I haven't taken the time to read all 18 pages of this thread, so forgive me if anything I say has already been stated...

Just saw the Model X pics today, and I have to say the Falcon doors are ridiculous. I can't imagine they will make it to production. I also can't see how having the door fold midway takes any more than about a few inches off of the overall opened height. What it will do is make it much easier to hit your head on the opened door when getting in or out. Compare a picture of an opened SLS door versus this thing and tell me which gives you more clearance. And even that car takes some learning to get in or out of without hitting your head (I've read).

I understand that the bifold theory is to provide a smaller swing arc, but really even considering such a design element on this type of vehicle is stupid. Also consider that an SUV is going to get use in the type of weather that will have rain and slush and whatnot dripping down off of the open door and through the bifold crease onto whomever exits or enters the rear seat area.

Sorry but this door design is stupid, frivolous and unnecessary. It's not a two-seat limited use exotic. But if the intent was to get people's attention, mission accomplished. Which is why I believe they won't be on the production vehicle.

If they're such a great idea, how come the front doors don't open the same way?

Last edited:
How do you know this?

I hope they may put ultrasonic sensors along the door each side to give confidence that you won't hit the car next to you, the wall you parked next to or the roof above you. Automating that would be a huge reassurance - especially when you think of it as a family car and your five-year-old may be pressing the door open button in the back.

The Tesla folks said this at the event last night.

Also said the doors will have sensors closing and opening in case the door hits something.