Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X first day feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Totally in love with X. I have and had several high end European cars and SUVs. It really makes them a thing in the past. For real.
I've never owned a high end car, but agree I am in love with the X!

2. Overall, it is quiet. But not as quiet as for a 7 or a S. Acceptable.
Mine is quiet like my LEAF, way more quiet than the Accord we sold.

3. Premium sound: I personally believe it is a must have. Because it is still an average system, as it's not very premium. Any Bose system would easily beat this upgrade.
Don't really care about premium sound, only option other than 22" wheels that we didn't order

4. Window tint: loving it so far. It is darker and cooler than my aftermarket tints. I have not done real hot day test yet.
Agree with the rear window tinting for our 1 year old son. Getting the front windows tinted to 32 this week

5. Car smell: the new car smell makes my wife and I felt sick. I felt like I want to pass out with all window closed. It is a poison.
We haven't noticed that at all

6. The whole car sealed very nicely, which all the new car smell was able to lock in and trying to kill us.
Again no new car smell for us

7. AC, I put AC on 5 bars, still weak, which again, the new car smell doesn't go away.
Still no issue

6. seats: not as good as good as AUDI, Porsche, Maserati, and a distance behind BMW and Mercs. I am 6 ft, and I felt the driver seat "leg rest" area is short.
I am very comfortable in the seats and the ingress / egress. We had a small paint chip and have a loaner Model S while it's being fixed and that thing is a pain to get in and out of.

7. spaces: good, but not great. I wish for more leg room left to right direction <---> to be more. As I am seating in the passenger side, it is not roomie enough.
My wife is able to sit in the passenger seat with her giant baby purse as well with no issue. And I mean giant, that thing carries everything.

8. Back seats: I have the 6 seats and which I believe I made the right decision. I have 2 kids, all 4 rear seats for them. They loved it so much and wished they could sleep in it. I am OK middle 2 seats, and I am not even going for the rear 2 seats.
We have 7 seats with our little one in the middle seat second row. We can fold down the third row and still seat 2 more adults (AKA in-laws). The rear seats are a bit claustrophobic with the 7 seats but we don't intend on people sitting back there for long road trips.

9. Spoiler: It appear to be in fix position at all time even when lock. I will follow up with more professional test with some help from iGAGING angle reading gauges. DS informed me, it would flat when lock. But, so fat, it is not happening. I am OK with it either way. Good thing is, we all have a spoiler, which makes the car looks that much better.
Ours is active the same as P90Ds

10.1 Panoramic windshield: Loved it. Make the X a thing from the future.
First thing I noticed when getting in to our loaner S was it did NOT have a panoramic windshield. Felt very claustrophobic in comparison.

10.2 Panoramic windshield: double vision at night. Anyone knows if there is an ultimate solution? Thank you.
Haven't noticed this at all and we took an 1,800 mile road trip just after delivery with a good bit of night driving.

11. FWD: Coolest feature ever. Kids loved it. They tested out for at least 20~30 mins, open..close..open..close and so on. Not a single issue. My house was built in 2003, the garage was tail enough to handle as it's full opening. I had little room for both sides, but it managed to open without any issue or touch anything.
Love the FWDs. x1000

12. 90D: Even with 90D, it felt so fast, so powerful, so.... what's another word for it... FAST. I didn't have the money for the P, but very happy with just the 90D.
Agree, took some friends on test rides and they were blown away

13. interface: played around all afternoon, had not had any issue.
Agree, it is solid

Overall, X is a great car. However: it is somewhat overpriced. Still have built issues here or there. Pre-owing customer service was BAD.
Overpriced is hard to judge because there is no other car like it. Our pre-owning service was mediocre, but we managed to take delivery in April of a 90D and it seems like not many others outside California did that so we're happy.

14. Autopilot: I am having an issue with it, which I believe Tesla is playing me again. See my thread here:Tesla Autopolit upgrade option removed from Tesla site
Autopilot has been good, maybe 5-10 times I've had to take over because it was going to do something crazy

15. At a supermarket parking lot, people are eyeing on the FWD. Great.
Yup

16. I showed my friends with X, the first common was: "So many issues with it, ... ... right?" I was speechless for a second. And replied as: "Those were early built". The point is: Tesla, you make a name for yourself. I cannot and will not help you on this. Sorry, but I am not sorry!
Haven't had too many people ask about issues. Mostly how much range does it get and how long does it take to recharge.

If I missed something you want to know, let me know. Or if you wish to see something, let me know.

My comments in red ...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
An update on the fixed spoiler. I taped an iGAGING AngleCube on the spoiler and connected with a data output cable to a computer. I tested every 10 miles from 0 to 80. I doesn't show angle change much (angle reading only in the tenth due to road variation).

• Helpful
Reactions: pchan and BrettH
View attachment 176790 View attachment 176791 View attachment 176792 An update on the fixed spoiler. I taped an iGAGING AngleCube on the spoiler and connected with a data output cable to a computer. I tested every 10 miles from 0 to 80. I doesn't show angle change much (angle reading only in the tenth due to road variation).

Looks like you are doing some serious testing :)

I guess that means I will have a "fixed" spoiler and it is not like I sacrificing a active spoiler for better build quality since yours still has that double-vision problem

Trailer head extend it out more than 2inch, which is somewhat unacceptable. It should hide right under the bumper.
That is quite a ways out, but given that Tesla expects you to remove the entire receiver when not in use, isn't entirely surprising. As a comparison, the receiver on my '08 Chrysler Aspen is ~1" out from the bumper, with no way to conceal or remove it (sorry, my measuring tools -- just walking out to the garage and eyeing it -- are not nearly as accurate as yours!).

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamZ
View attachment 176790 View attachment 176791 View attachment 176792 An update on the fixed spoiler. I taped an iGAGING AngleCube on the spoiler and connected with a data output cable to a computer. I tested every 10 miles from 0 to 80. I doesn't show angle change much (angle reading only in the tenth due to road variation).

@WilliamZ , your fixed spoiler looks a lot more horizontal than mine. Hmm. If you look in the settings under Controls > Settings > Service & Reset > Spoiler, do you see Spoiler? I have it on mine with the option for "Automatic" or "Extended", but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

View media item 115022View media item 115023View media item 115024View media item 115025View media item 115026View media item 115027

@WilliamZ , your fixed spoiler looks a lot more horizontal than mine. Hmm. If you look in the settings under Controls > Settings > Service & Reset > Spoiler, do you see Spoiler? I have it on mine with the option for "Automatic" or "Extended", but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

View media item 115022View media item 115023View media item 115024View media item 115025View media item 115026View media item 115027
Mine is fixed. If you check my photo, the spoiler base is totally fixed. And, I don't have it in setting. Yours doesn't seem to be in the up right position.

Reactions: BrettH

Brett yours appears to be a non-fixed (i.e. dynamic) spoiler that's just broken. The fixed ones look different from yours and it's pretty obvious that they can't move.

I think I would have the service center look at yours, they can probably repair it and it will be dynamic.

Reactions: BrettH
Thanks, guys. I thought it looked like the active one when I picked up the car. But my DS assumed it was fixed because he had heard the new 90D's were coming out with fixed spoilers. I'll call my service center and have them look at it. I just thought maybe they are installing the fixed spoilers in the aerodynamic position. I guess that doesn't make a lot of sense because it definitely block visibility out of the back window.