Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X First Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No! People don't want any of those. People want functional doors that don't keep hitting the ceilings and other objects. I will feel safer with a 16 year boy at the wheels. He can at least spot the trucks. They want a roof that protects their heads from the sun and lets them put their bikes and skis on top; just to name a few. I tried my Leaf's acceleration once, and my kids said "no more". FWDs are from the past, not future!

ROTFLOL! Who are these guys? Another one trying to make a name for themselves by associating with the Tesla name?
You sir, are the definition of a troll. Good day.

No! People don't want any of those. People want functional doors that don't keep hitting the ceilings and other objects. I will feel safer with a 16 year boy at the wheels. He can at least spot the trucks. They want a roof that protects their heads from the sun and lets them put their bikes and skis on top; just to name a few. I tried my Leaf's acceleration once, and my kids said "no more". FWDs are from the past, not future!

ROTFLOL! Who are these guys? Another one trying to make a name for themselves by associating with the Tesla name?
If value is what you are desperately seeking, stay clear of the cutting edge. Value is found closer to the dried scab that falls off two weeks later.

Yesterday I had our youngest daughter in the car while picking up her two older sisters. It was pouring rain and while we waited for them to emerge, she sat in her car seat, completely dry and protected from the rain by the open falcon wing door overhead. Every day I appreciate the doors when ferrying them and their friends around, and when cleaning or loading/unloading. It's amazing how much fits under the monopost seats.

We did a 500 mile round trip to the mountains Memorial Day weekend. The view out the front is stunning, and autopilot made the long drive less tiring. And putting things on the roof kills aerodynamics. I put bikes on a trailer hitch that's easier to load than a roof rack.

The reason for slower reservation to order conversion rate is the stories of initial quality problems, etc., which go from the forums to news sites because they generate clicks. My car had a few mainly cosmetic issues but Tesla took care of them. Also keep in mind that the 30,000 are worldwide, and Tesla is still working through country sales processes. Model X is currently being delivered in I think three countries - US, Canada and China.

You Sir/Madam, are the epitome of blindness :) Let's look at the numbers:
When Model X was truly an "X" (unknown): 30,000 reservations.
Once it is known & released: 5000 deliveries and Tesla is already fulfilling new orders.

Pretty sure you're worried about your short position, since the stock rose today. Your last post was about the features of the car people don't want, and this one is about reservation numbers. Now I'll stop feeding the troll...

You Sir/Madam, are the epitome of blindness :) Let's look at the numbers:
When Model X was truly an "X" (unknown): 30,000 reservations.
Once it is known & released: 5000 deliveries and Tesla is already fulfilling new orders.

OK. I'll take the bait one time only. I saw production VIN 8282 in the Seaside, CA Store on Sat. June 18th. I was told they have already built more than 10,000 X's. Many people understandably wanted test drives before they ordered, and it took awhile to fully ramp up production. Many also didn't want one of the first X (pun intended) produced so any early issues would be resolved. Personally, I didn't care about that because I'd already waited 4 years, and I business leased for 36 months.

The X is the first "viral" CUV/SUV in the sense that the Falcon Wing Doors attract attention wherever they are deployed. For example, mine was in a Memorial Day parade behind a red S and in front of a blue X. Both of our X's had wings deployed in the parade with the approval of the local police. This was in an upscale Bay Area community. What amazed me was the young children knew what it was -- talk about Tesla branding for the future! The adults reacted extremely positively to it, also.

My X will also appear in a 2-hour EV documentary produced by KBS, the Korean Broadcasting System (like PBS for S. Korea). They shot it at Stanford, and with GoPros and follow cars to and at the San Mateo SC. A fellow club member brought his S, too, and other club members were at Stanford that day to be interviewed about their EV experiences. The producer told me that after S. Koreans see what the X can do, he thinks they will demand their government to lower protective barriers so Tesla can enter that market. I shot some video of the KBS camera crew at work. If I find the time, I'll share it on Youtube.

Tesla fulfilling new orders is just a testament to the viral nature of the product.

If you are short TSLA, then I respectfully suggest that you consider closing out your position when the BREXIT over-reaction appears to have run it's course next week. Every time TSLA spikes down for whatever reason, I add to my long position that I started after I attended the Model S factory reveal event in Fall, 2011. I've learned over the years to bet with geniuses like Elon, Jeff Bezos, Larry Ellison, and the late Steve Jobs -- never against them.

Elon in particular has extraordinary long term vision. He mentioned in passing during the call about the proposed SCTY acquisition that there are products in the TSLA pipeline that he obviously can't talk about yet. I think they may be a key (besides one stop EV transport, charging, solar panels and storage shopping) to why he wants to add solar panels to TSLA's product portfolio. Time will tell...

I love my Model S but I'm going to wait until the issues are all solved. I was one of those that pre-ordered the Model X back in mid 2013. It was supposed to arrive by October 2014. Then it kept getting delayed and I cancelled it as we needed a larger vehicle (had another child). I'm really glad that I cancelled it.

Sounds like lots of problems. Tesla Just Settled This Lawsuit Over Alleged Flaws in the Model X

Tesla’s Model X Has Bigger Problems Than Faulty Falcon Doors

I test drove one here in San Diego a few weeks ago and several things didn't work. The chairs from the second row moving up didn't work right both in the showroom and also the Model X that I test drove. Also, the front door popped open and hit another car next to it (not hard but still was surprised that it would hit another car next to it).

A few people in my neighborhood have taken delivery of theirs and having some issues with doors. Before the test drive I was going to order the X but I think I'll wait until they fix some of the bugs. When I got my Model S back in mid 2013 I had to take it in a few times. Nothing major but I see some posts like Crunch! Falcon Wing Doors fail to sense obstacle and it makes me want to wait.

• Helpful
Reactions: X Yes?
The Model X seems to be revolutionary however, being a so called SUV, it actually has less cargo capacity, especially for long pelican cases etc, than the Model S.
I can store lots of gear into my Model S but with the non flat folding immediate rear seats on the X, that cuts down tremendously on cargo capacity.

The Model X is not for me or anyone who really needs cargo capacity in an SUV.
However, it is a great 7 passenger people car and to lots of folks, that's what they need as opposed to cargo.
Still happy with my sleek looking Model S though.

The Model X seems to be revolutionary however, being a so called SUV, it actually has less cargo capacity, especially for long pelican cases etc, than the Model S.
I can store lots of gear into my Model S but with the non flat folding immediate rear seats on the X, that cuts down tremendously on cargo capacity.

The Model X is not for me or anyone who really needs cargo capacity in an SUV.
However, it is a great 7 passenger people car and to lots of folks, that's what they need as opposed to cargo.
Still happy with my sleek looking Model S though.

If you need room for long items get the six seat version.

Everything is a trade off. I wish they could fold, but I'd rather have safe, comfortable seats that don't fold than uncomfortable ones that do. The seats spend far more of the time up than down in my S, and the kids like the X seating much more than the S.

I love my Model S but I'm going to wait until the issues are all solved. I was one of those that pre-ordered the Model X back in mid 2013. It was supposed to arrive by October 2014. Then it kept getting delayed and I cancelled it as we needed a larger vehicle (had another child). I'm really glad that I cancelled it.

Sounds like lots of problems. Tesla Just Settled This Lawsuit Over Alleged Flaws in the Model X

Tesla’s Model X Has Bigger Problems Than Faulty Falcon Doors

I test drove one here in San Diego a few weeks ago and several things didn't work. The chairs from the second row moving up didn't work right both in the showroom and also the Model X that I test drove. Also, the front door popped open and hit another car next to it (not hard but still was surprised that it would hit another car next to it).

A few people in my neighborhood have taken delivery of theirs and having some issues with doors. Before the test drive I was going to order the X but I think I'll wait until they fix some of the bugs. When I got my Model S back in mid 2013 I had to take it in a few times. Nothing major but I see some posts like Crunch! Falcon Wing Doors fail to sense obstacle and it makes me want to wait.

Don't believe everything you read. Yes there have been many problems in very early cars and my March delivery X needed some fixes, but volume and quality are much higher recently. So for every negative poster there are probably dozens just out enjoying their cars. And test drive cars get a lot of abuse, plus some may be rejected cars.

Remember that people post a lot more about negative than positive experiences, and the media inflates anything to do with Tesla for click-throughs, especially negative points. On top of this you have people with financial interests to knock Tesla. I would guess that pretty much every model of every car has had one or more lemon law buybacks, but you never read about them because they're not considered newsworthy.

That said, if you want to wait that's your choice. Many experts advise against buying any new car in its first year. But then I would have missed nearly a year of enjoying my X.

Don't believe everything you read. Yes there have been many problems in very early cars and my March delivery X needed some fixes, but volume and quality are much higher recently. So for every negative poster there are probably dozens just out enjoying their cars. And test drive cars get a lot of abuse, plus some may be rejected cars.

Remember that people post a lot more about negative than positive experiences, and the media inflates anything to do with Tesla for click-throughs, especially negative points. On top of this you have people with financial interests to knock Tesla. I would guess that pretty much every model of every car has had one or more lemon law buybacks, but you never read about them because they're not considered newsworthy.

That said, if you want to wait that's your choice. Many experts advise against buying any new car in its first year. But then I would have missed nearly a year of enjoying my X.
ThIs post is very encouraging, I'm still waiting for my MX to go into production and all I keep reading on this forum is all the problems and quality issues with it. After reading all of these things almost daily on here it really has made me paranoid and I start to think what have I gotten myself into and I talked my wife into the MX. So hearing this is somewhat refreshing.

Exellent points.
My wife and I drove her new MX 900 + miles the first 3 days after taking delivery with no issues and absolutely love the car. Having owned numerous SUV s over the years with our 4 kids growing up, it is clear the much talked about falcon wing doors,would have been a dream to have during those days. Now with grand kids and our not so nimble backs, the MX design is just Awesome
We too read about all the early issues but I have to credit my wife for sticking with it for the 987 days she patiently waited. She loves it
(not a shareholder)

I do NOT believe everything I read but I've talked to several friends now that have the Model X and they ALL have had problems with their doors. Again, I really love Tesla and have had the Model S for 3+ years. I'm not one of the bashers but I really think that Model X wasn't ready for prime time and it's way over engineered.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and X Yes?
I really think that Model X wasn't ready for prime time and it's way over engineered.
Other than the Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?:)

I agree. I would only recommend the car to those who are going to be enthusiastic for it and willing to put up with it's ideosynchocies. If you want something stable the Toyota's and the Koreans can probably do a better job for a lot less money. For me the car is great. Nothing significant has happened to my car and while it is not without its occasional characteristics, it way over exceeds my needs and expectations. Perhaps after a year and some dummying down of the technology, it might be good for the masses too.

Anyone catch the Model X review piece on the new Top Gear? Pretty entertaining and overall accurate. I enjoyed it!
I did (finally), also the Extra Gear show which had some behind the scenes footage. For those that didn't catch it, there's a Youtube here (likely to be pulled down at some point, the link drops you at the start of the review), and the photo version here. I think it's worth mentioning the closing thoughts from Rory Reid:

"Everything changes right now. The Model X pushes the reset button. Forget cylinders and super unleaded. The future is cells and super capacitors. There's no point in trying to fight it, you can't stop it. The future is here. And it's electric."

Very cool.

Reactions: hiroshiy and Saxena