Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X First Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do NOT believe everything I read but I've talked to several friends now that have the Model X and they ALL have had problems with their doors. Again, I really love Tesla and have had the Model S for 3+ years. I'm not one of the bashers but I really think that Model X wasn't ready for prime time and it's way over engineered.
Part of what I like about the Model X is the fact that there is nothing close to this SUV in technology and design. I have not had mine very long but so far amazing!

Motorweek review was for the most part positive. Complained about comfortability of the first row seats, the second row seats being noisy when moving them, lack of feel from the steering. Liked the FWD's.

The short flashback segment of the episode was a review off the EV-1 btw. Not sure when the episode will go up online to stream.

Last edited:
Motorweek review was for the most part positive. Complained about comfortability of the first row seats, the second row seats being noisy when moving them, lack of feel from the steering. Liked the FWD's.

The short flashback segment of the episode was a review off the EV-1 btw. Not sure when the episode will go up online to stream.
Wow, I think the first row seat are really comfortable much better than my Model S and Mercedes.

Attachments

• IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2019.JPG
    IMG_2019.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2161.JPG
    IMG_2161.JPG
    454.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Very detailed and professional videography.
I think this is my favorite Model X video to date:

Nicely filmed and edited.

I didn't watch all of it, but from what I saw they could have benefited from additional Tesla and Model X knowledge. Eg how the white seats are artificial leather, that the trunk well cover can be set at a higher level and thus create a flush cargo floor, that there is a P90D step between 90D and Ludicrous, and that regenerative braking is entirely on the "go" pedal for one-pedal driving.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
A very thorough video, but still missed a few minor things, in addition to what @PeterK mentioned. I would would have shown the pop-out 2nd row cup holders while pointing out the USB charging ports, the 3rd row cup holders and USB charging port, and the front door storage spaces.

Also they showed the CHADEMO adapter but called it the charging cable.

Last edited:
For a full review of the Model X from 10K miles driven over the past 6 months you can visit my Blog. The review is done in full disclosure mode. Kent Godfrey

Also includes many little known secretes.

Enjoy!

Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed and realistic review. I actually enjoy reading blogs/posts where people talk about the issues/problems they have been having. Like you, I'm somewhat of an early adopter and got my Model S back in mid 2013. I'm hoping many of the issues you had with it were because it was one of the earlier Model X's and they have improved drastically on build quality.

Like you, a bunch of people I met had problems with the doors or other issues that you complained of. I purposely held off a while. I was going to wait a few more months but I figure they will keep drastically improving. I had to take my Model S P85 in several times. Annoying but still easily the best car I've ever owned.

Thanks again for sharing.

Absolutely no comparison between the comfort of the X v the S. I'm 6'3" and this was the main reason I did not buy the S and held out for the X. Tesla delivered on this promise. The ease of getting in and getting out along with the roominess and seat comfort are spectacular!! Even the panoramic glass makes a huge difference!

On a different note how do you guys all feel about having to pay $20K for the new battery pack v new buyers only paying $10K? To me it's a sharp stick in the eye for all I've been through pioneering this new car. Ouch!!

On a different note how do you guys all feel about having to pay $20K for the new battery pack v new buyers only paying $10K? To me it's a sharp stick in the eye for all I've been through pioneering this new car. Ouch!!

There's a cost to having to recycle the old pack per Tesla. Also, there's a possibility that some retrofitting has to happen when the pack is upgraded, as well maybe some firmware adjustments, and of course there's the general labor charges. Is all that worth an additional 10K? Dunno, but Tesla has always encouraged the purchase of new vehicles vs upgrading/retrofitting when they've done their pricing. They charge more for upgrading to Supercharging after the fact, then when you option it from the start. There are a number of examples of that, so no different in this instance. Tesla wants to accelerate the adoptions of EVs; thus giving price breaks when optioning a new vehicle makes sense.

Point accepted but... I took delivery of the X in March (5 months ago). No indication at that time there would be a larger battery pack offered. In the 5 months I've had the car I've reported 55 problems complete with date and time stamp (critical to help them debug through the log files), detailed descriptions and pictures. The car has been at Tesla service for 6 weeks of the 5 months. Love the service teams I've dealt with!! they're under enormous pressure and do a great job!! Committed to getting everything right. Seems to me asking $20K for the battery upgrade is just simply not right. Just my opinion...

Again, you can see my most recent blog posts for details: Kent Godfrey

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowby
Absolutely no comparison between the comfort of the X v the S. I'm 6'3" and this was the main reason I did not buy the S and held out for the X. Tesla delivered on this promise. The ease of getting in and getting out along with the roominess and seat comfort are spectacular!!
I witnessed a person that had a paper plated S the other day struggle to get in and out of it. They clearly had some physical challenges. The X would have been so much better for them.

I echo Kent's thoughts. Tesla could have grand fathered existing Model X 90 users for $10K upgrade while retaining $20k upgrade price for new customers who end buying 90D today and later decide to upgrade to 100D..after the delivery.

There is a difference between folks who buy or reserve a product without knowing when an upgrade will come and how much will it cost, and the ones who buy now who have the choice. and know the price.

These small things actually help many folks who are on the fence to jump in knowing that Tesla will not let them down.

The case of AP though is different where there is an extensive retrofit needed, as opposed to a battery swap.