Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in fatal wrong way driver crash today in Phoenix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lack of training has something to do with it. If the reflectors on the road are red STOP!!!.

The backside of freeway reflectors have been red for many decades. This warns you that you are going in the wrong direction

Except that around here the reflectors seem to migrate over the road surface so you occasionally see a red reflector when you are going the correct way. Also over time they get dull, which wouldn't be an issue with proper road maintenance. What happens where I live is that roads are only repainted and markers refreshed when paving occurs. So most of the line markings are barely visible during the day except on newly paved roads.

Why not a dashed line here?
Looking at the picture, it appears that the road markings are almost worn away in the areas where they are needed most, and probably invisible at night. It would be the same with the markings to keep the cars out of the wrong lanes. I think it would be a good idea, but only if the markings were repainted frequently. What would probably be better is to have a line of red reflector modules where the pedestrian crossing markings are. Three rows of red reflectors would show up very well, and don't have the maintenance requirements of the dashed lines.

Statistically, most wrong-way driving collisions happen very early in the morning. (bars closing , etc.) Also, most wrong-way drivers drive in the fast lane of the highways they are on. They stay far "right" on their trajectory. It is suggested that if you are driving very early in the morning to stay OUT of the fast lane.:eek:

The interesting thing here is that the Model X was in the far left lane (HOV) it seems from the pics. The wrong-way driver was driving in what he would consider the "slow" lane here in the States. With @AudubonB 's post, it would seem he may not even had his lights on at midnight.

More pics and details (bears repeating)

DPS IDs wrong-way driver killed in crash on SB Loop 101

Looking at the picture, it appears that the road markings are almost worn away in the areas where they are needed most, and probably invisible at night. It would be the same with the markings to keep the cars out of the wrong lanes. I think it would be a good idea, but only if the markings were repainted frequently. What would probably be better is to have a line of red reflector modules where the pedestrian crossing markings are. Three rows of red reflectors would show up very well, and don't have the maintenance requirements of the dashed lines.

I really like the idea of reflectors. When sketching the lines, there were all sorts of concerns about confusing the traffic going the other way. Reflectors solve that as the are directional. A lot more possibilities work with reflectors.

In the interest of full disclosure, I neither said nor suggested anything regarding headlights on, off or sideways.

This is the internet, after all, and I look unfavorably on others placing out there for all eternity words in my mouth.

That is all -

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
So based on recent information on how well the Model X driver did after the crash, can we assume the model X will ace the IIHS offset crash test (Small overlap frontal crash test)?

Not the same thing. This was a nearly head-on hit, where softness of the crumple zone is the main driver.

With small overlap, you have to bring the crash energy across the structure rather than letting the other car roll up the fender and than smash into the cabin.

I think that's why some EVs kinda look like they have an ICE even though they don't - cars like the Bolt and Leaf are using the front motor structure to stiffen up the car for small overlap, like modern FWD cars use the ICE.

That isn't to say I expect Tesla to fail the small overlap - just that the two aren't quite the same. :)

I took a look at the pictures from the OP's link:

14442446_G.jpg

From the impact angles and tire marks, I'm speculating that the Model X was traveling the correct direction (southbound), and the other vehicle was the wrong-way driver, traveling northbound. Impact was offset to the driver's side of both vehicles, looks like the Model X would have been traveling away from the viewer in this picture, impacted the other vehicle very much towards the left near the concrete divider, then spun counter-clockwise about 150 degrees (see the curved tire mark leading to the left front wheel).

Model X damage appears limited to the frunk and fenders, passenger cabin appears nearly intact. Other vehicle has severe damage to the passenger cabin.

If this analysis is correct, it's consistent with the news report that the accident was fatal for the other vehicle (wrong-way driver), while the Model X driver was taken to the hospital in an unknown condition.

Again, all of this is my speculation, nothing officially reported from the news media yet.

The fact that the X can be involved in a catastrophic head on collision at highway speeds (at least likely for the other car, as it's been stated that the X's AEB was triggered), is sitting there with it's front windshield entirely still intact is amazing.

In the interest of full disclosure, I neither said nor suggested anything regarding headlights on, off or sideways.

This is the internet, after all, and I look unfavorably on others placing out there for all eternity words in my mouth.

That is all -

Sorry, I figured with the paraphrase "I saw nothing..." that the wrong-way driver at midnight (12:30) must have not had his lights on. Otherwise the X driver would have said "I saw the headlights..."

Quote from the article:

A wrong-way driver, ..... is dead and another driver is hospitalized after an overnight collision on Loop 101.

The fatal wrong-way crash happened just before 12:30 a.m. on southbound Loop 101 in-between Cactus Road and Thunderbird Road.

End quote.

Not the same thing. This was a nearly head-on hit, where softness of the crumple zone is the main driver.

With small overlap, you have to bring the crash energy across the structure rather than letting the other car roll up the fender and than smash into the cabin.

I think that's why some EVs kinda look like they have an ICE even though they don't - cars like the Bolt and Leaf are using the front motor structure to stiffen up the car for small overlap, like modern FWD cars use the ICE.

That isn't to say I expect Tesla to fail the small overlap - just that the two aren't quite the same. :)

Thanks for the clarification!

Reflectors don't work in all states. In CO, snowplows would simply remove them many times per year.

In Oregon and Washington most mountain passes have the reflectors recessed into the road surface. That does prevent snow plows taking them out, but they collect water when it rains and aren't as visible as the above ground reflectors.

The interesting thing here is that the Model X was in the far left lane (HOV) it seems from the pics. The wrong-way driver was driving in what he would consider the "slow" lane here in the States. With @AudubonB 's post, it would seem he may not even had his lights on at midnight.

More pics and details (bears repeating)

DPS IDs wrong-way driver killed in crash on SB Loop 101
Exactly. Wrong way drivers would usually (not always) stay far "right" believing they were in the slow lane and out of most traffic but, they are actually driving in the fast lane of oncoming traffic.

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Statistically, most wrong-way driving collisions happen very early in the morning. (bars closing , etc.) Also, most wrong-way drivers drive in the fast lane of the highways they are on. They stay far "right" on their trajectory. It is suggested that if you are driving very early in the morning to stay OUT of the fast lane.:eek:
This is something that I was taught decades ago. There were drunk drivers back then as well. It's sad when it happens, but play the statistics and let someone else gamble with their life. I learned the IPTY process when learning to drive. I don't remember what the 'ell it means anymore, but IDENTIFY and PREDICT were the first two. I've used it daily since then, and so far, knock on wood, it's worked.

• Informative
Reactions: teddytoons