Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X insurance coverage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am taking delivery of my X 100D on Saturday. Super Happy!
But I just called my insurance to get this vehicle added to our policy. After +30min on the phone with Mercury asking questions such as, if it has 1 or 2 airbags?!, antilock brakes on a 2 or 4 wheels??, and so on (they could not pull up the WIN#), they came up with a $280/mo price!
(vehicle invoice is $133K, good driving record, So Cal location ect...)

I would appreciate referrals, with broker's contact details in a So Cal location.
I am switching over my 3 cars to somebody else.
Thank you for the tips!

Had to relay this one.... Took the wife's vehicle in for some body repairs and picked up a rental car for a week.
As we are driving back to the rental car place, she asks what kind of car I'm interest in... I jokingly say a Model 3.
response...
'Ughh, Teslas are just awful to repair'
me(playing dumb) 'I hear that it takes a long time, is that true?'
'You have no idea, we have a client with a Model X who has been without his suv for 3 months, it's just sitting on a lot waiting to be repaired'
'he was fighting with the insurance co because he only gets a covered rental for 30 days... so his wife takes him to work and he gets a rental car on weekends.'

:confused:

Check out Wawanesa insurance. Their rates aren't as awesome as they used to be, but they're still going to beat the big companies (that spend $O MUCH on advertising)! Wawanesa also delivered 100% on a pretty big claim a few years ago; I was pleasantly surprised.

Rich

Check out Wawanesa insurance. Their rates aren't as awesome as they used to be, but they're still going to beat the big companies (that spend $O MUCH on advertising)! Wawanesa also delivered 100% on a pretty big claim a few years ago; I was pleasantly surprised.

Rich
Tesla plans to do away with insurance companies and allow you to buy insurance directly from the manufacturer.

• Funny
Reactions: Peteybabes and rw99

Rich
i just got a quote from wawanesa and they were the cheapest compared to ameriprise, geico, statefarm for the same coverage. Thanks!

Reactions: rw99
Mine is with State Farm. I have my house and other car with them. My X (75D) is $82/month including uninsured driver coverage. But I have been with them 10+ years and never filed a claim. And my deductible is $1K.

I'm not sure if it's a good deal though.

Insurance cost varies person to person, region to region, car to car (different MSRPs) etc. 280$/mo is excessive for where you are. Since we are close to each other my data point might be more relevant. I am in Rancho Palos Verdes (close to redondo beach) and it's $550/6 months, $1k deductible with State Farm. I think it's reasonable. Granted we do have various discounts which might not be applicable to you. If you are interested I am happy to share our agent's info. We like him because he'd spend the time to put our family members on different cars for different rates to find which combo is the cheapest. Some agents are very lazy and would not spend the time to do that kind of stuff.

Insurance cost varies person to person, region to region, car to car (different MSRPs) etc. 280$/mo is excessive for where you are. Since we are close to each other my data point might be more relevant. I am in Rancho Palos Verdes (close to redondo beach) and it's $550/6 months, $1k deductible with State Farm. I think it's reasonable. Granted we do have various discounts which might not be applicable to you. If you are interested I am happy to share our agent's info. We like him because he'd spend the time to put our family members on different cars for different rates to find which combo is the cheapest. Some agents are very lazy and would not spend the time to do that kind of stuff.

Outie. I am in Redondo Beach as well. I sure wouldn't mind your referral.
I am taking delivery of my car in a couple of hours, and have it currently insured with my current expensive insurance.
$550/6mo sounds like a deal. But like you said, you may have associated additional discounts bundle with this. In any case, feel free to PM me. Thx.

Insurance rates, claims, rights, laws, etc. are determined on a state, then local basis, so the variance between coverage in NYC and a small Midwestern town will likely be huge.

I've been with Amica for years, home and auto, and highly recommend them, though they say they only take good drivers. They pay claims in a time when many other insurance companies are looking for any possible way to not pay claims. Since I wouldn't make a claim unless it was legit and serious, this fact alone is hugely in favor of Amica. My rates went up quite a bit moving from a GMC Acadia to a MX - of course bc moving from a $40k to $100K car. Upon renewal a month ago, my rates went up again all the way to $175 a month. When I asked, they said the claims history with Tesla has forced them to go up. They said that parts are extremely expensive and repairs are taking a long time. They also said Tesla drivers are getting in higher numbers of crashes.

Now, all of that is 3rd hand to you at this point and I was on the phone with the agent - not someone in underwriting, so take it with a grain of salt. However, some of those things we know to be true - parts are expensive relative to other cars and repairs are taking a while. I suspect there is some truth to their being more claims as well. Many of us aren't experienced at driving a high performance vehicle, some likely are taking advantage of the thrill aspects of the car, the people around us are probably not used to cars that do what these do and may react poorly to the unexpected speeds, handling, etc, and there is probably some funneling effect of people who love a fast car get this car, drive it fast and speed is a significant factor in crashes. Put together those factors and probably others and you have more wrecks, more expensive repairs and rising insurance rates. That's my take.

i went with Progressive, easy as pie no questions asked...my rates are the cheapest i've ever paid on a vehicle @ $117/month (i'm 25 years old, and i've seen people report less than $100/month)

i would avoid Mercury based on @zackmilo horrible experience with them when he needed them most after an accident.

waiting for when Tesla can provide their own insurance policy like they do in China so it makes it one easy payment every month. :D

• Helpful
Reactions: MrTomP