Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're hell bent on taking advantage of FUSC then that's contradictory...
Time saved from gas stations < Time spent at superchargers

If we REALLY wanted to nitpick though then you'd have to break down each state; the incentives. Plus if you're assuming I'm not paying for electricity, you should probably take into account the cost of my solar system and the associated incentives with that...

Of course that is correct. Most folks use a combination of FUSC and home charging. My point was the calculator does not provide including the convenience factor. I have not been out of town in months (covid days), and do not have to visit a communal fueling station. How much is THAT worth? ;)

Odyssey is definitely the more practical car if you are trying to comfortably carry a lot of people. The sliding doors are also much more practical than the falcon wing doors. However, the Model X is also practical for carrying people. The FWD are very useful, especially for buckling kids in, just showy or really cool depending on your take. After 3 years, I still find the FWD super cool, and the X is just a joy to drive. Safe and comfortable, can still fit up to 7, yet fast and fun to drive.

I think potential savings on maintenance between electric vs gas cars is outweighed by the fact the X goes through tires much faster. I had to replace my first set at just 22k miles, so I'm changing tires every 2 years instead of 4ish when I had a Camry (guessing Odyssey is similar). Tires for this car aren't cheap -- $900 for the first I choose.

Insurance: check multiple carriers, I was on Allstate when we had a 8 year old accord and 15 year old Camry and now on Progressive with a 3 and X, paying only $200 more every 6 months ($850 every 6 months).

Electricity: totally worth it. Especially now in Covid era, so glad we don't have to go to the gas station. Yes for longer trips you have to stop and charge, but the break is a wonderful coffee break and the time you spend there I think is balanced by the time the rest of the year you don't spend going to a gas station. We have solar panels that generate enough electricity for both cars, so that's awesome too from cost perspective.

Our 5 Odysseys have only lasted 3 years each so we've never had to change the tires. We've gotten a new Odyssey ever 93k-98k miles because the transmission clunks out after 100k. Replacing the transmission at that mileage isn't worth it compared to the car's value.

I'm definitely looking for my future MX to last longer than my previous Odysseys.

Wow! That is terrible. Original range for a P90 MX was 250 miles. So you're at 56% of the original range? Is your battery still under warranty?
That's not rated range, that's actual highway range. It's been a while since I checked the actual displayed range (keep it in percentage), but it was around 230 when I first got it a bit over a year ago. Lately I've been making a 140 mile round trip (highway ~70) and I'm usually down to about 12% when I get back home (start at 90%; 22" wheels as well).

For clarification, if I'm generous and add an additional 25% to my residual range from this trip, the total highway range would be an underwhelming 175 miles.

That's not rated range, that's actual highway range. It's been a while since I checked the actual displayed range (keep it in percentage), but it was around 230 when I first got it a bit over a year ago. Lately I've been making a 140 mile round trip (highway ~70) and I'm usually down to about 12% when I get back home (start at 90%; 22" wheels as well).

For clarification, if I'm generous and add an additional 25% to my residual range from this trip, the total highway range would be an underwhelming 175 miles.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm so glad I have 20" wheels. :)

2020 Model X LR+ purchased Dec 2019. My first quote from Safeco was $4000/yr. After I told my agent I'd shop around, the price suddenly lowered to $2469.10/yr. After I said again that I'd continue to shop around, the price lowered to $1679.90/yr. This is for $2,000 comprehensive deductible. I then added a zero-deductable glass waiver (since the windshield is so expensive to replace) and that raised the premium to $2035/yr.

Our 5 Odysseys have only lasted 3 years each so we've never had to change the tires. We've gotten a new Odyssey ever 93k-98k miles because the transmission clunks out after 100k. Replacing the transmission at that mileage isn't worth it compared to the car's value.

I'm definitely looking for my future MX to last longer than my previous Odysseys.
I’m not following.... you’ve had 5 Odyssey’s, keeping each 3 years, putting 93k to 98k miles on each, but never having to change the tires?! If I’m understanding that correctly, that is pretty high annual mileage, and obscenely long tire wear.

Our 2017 Model X replaced our 2005 Honda Odyssey (which our son has and it’s still going strong). The Model X feels bigger to me when driving, but smaller when I’m putting things in it. When the seats are down, the height inside is much less that the mini van, and sometimes that is limiting. The Model X third row is also less spacious. I also felt comfortable driving the Honda to any neighborhood and leaving it anywhere overnight. I’m much more cautious with the model X. Those are the practicalities. But the way the model X drives and its technology - there is no comparison and I would never go back.

I think my model X insurance costs about double what I was paying for the Odyssey. But I was going forward 12 model years and about 10 times the value of the car. I think it is reasonable.

For electricity, a good rough estimate is that you will use 0.4 kWh/mile. If you are driving over 30,000 miles a year, that will be 12,000 kWh.

We bought our model X with sights on keeping it a decade. We are 2.5 years into it, and the biggest reason we might not keep it that long is that we are likely to want technology improvements. While over-the-air updates keep it fresher than any other aging car, we will be tempted as range of new Teslas hit the 400 to 500 mile mark. No, I don’t need to drive 400 miles without stopping. But I generally go from 90% to 20% state of charge, I don’t get 100% efficiency, and sometimes superchargers are not exactly where you want them.

Try www.tesla.com/insurance login with your Tesla account information. Then add your Tesla(s) and configure the quote to match your existing insurance coverage so you can compare apples to apples. Ours equated to approximately. $100 per Tesla per month. We just switched over, wish we did this sooner. You can call 844-34-TESLA to talk to a rep. Super friendly and helpful.

Try www.tesla.com/insurance login with your Tesla account information. Then add your Tesla(s) and configure the quote to match your existing insurance coverage so you can compare apples to apples. Ours equated to approximately. $100 per Tesla per month. We just switched over, wish we did this sooner. You can call 844-34-TESLA to talk to a rep. Super friendly and helpful.

According to Tesla Insurance Tesla insurance is currently only available in California.

Any insurance recommendations in California for Tesla (I am picking up a new model x this week). I have Geico, which was ok when I was hit and totaled my model 3 last year. But I know they don't pay full Tesla rates so there are issues getting quality repairs done.

Tesla insurance is more expensive than Geico. I will try all state and state farm. Any others I should quote?

Any insurance recommendations in California for Tesla (I am picking up a new model x this week). I have Geico, which was ok when I was hit and totaled my model 3 last year. But I know they don't pay full Tesla rates so there are issues getting quality repairs done.

Tesla insurance is more expensive than Geico. I will try all state and state farm. Any others I should quote?

I am in California too and currently have Progressive. They were the cheapest by far for me. Also try Costco Ameriprise.

• Informative
Reactions: BM3B
If you are in California, Tesla's own insurance should always be the cheapest. I was using Geico, got a quote for $350 a month for my model X. Asked Tesla insurance for quote for same coverage, got a quote for $115 a month which no other insurance providers could beat.

• Informative
Reactions: BM3B
If you are in California, Tesla's own insurance should always be the cheapest. I was using Geico, got a quote for $350 a month for my model X. Asked Tesla insurance for quote for same coverage, got a quote for $115 a month which no other insurance providers could beat.

Has anyone actually used Tesla insurance? With insurance, it’s not about your monthly payment, but it’s about how are you going to be treated when you need it. Yeah, you can save a couple of bucks but God forbid there is something major, you do want a good insurance company backing you up. Tesla insurance is too new and too unproven for me.

Has anyone actually used Tesla insurance? With insurance, it’s not about your monthly payment, but it’s about how are you going to be treated when you need it. Yeah, you can save a couple of bucks but God forbid there is something major, you do want a good insurance company backing you up. Tesla insurance is too new and too unproven for me.

I think I would trust the insurance provided by the maker of the cars more considering they will be the one fixing the car if it gets into an accident. Kind of like how I would trust AppleCare+ more for fixing my iphone than some random bestbuy insurance.

It's also backed by an actual insurance company for liability insurance. Tesla is just in charge of the comprehensive part.

We found the best rates with Progressive for our Model X

I think I would trust the insurance provided by the maker of the cars more considering they will be the one fixing the car if it gets into an accident. Kind of like how I would trust AppleCare+ more for fixing my iphone than some random bestbuy insurance.

It's also backed by an actual insurance company for liability insurance. Tesla is just in charge of the comprehensive part.

Not so worried about fixing my car. More worried about liability of damaging someone or someone’s property. For example, I read that Tesla insurance only covers the driver and provides no coverage for anyone else, even if it’s a spouse (not industry standard)

Last edited:
Not so worried about fixing my car. More worried about liability of damaging someone or someone’s property. For example, I read that Tesla insurance only covers the driver and provides no coverage for anyone else, even if it’s a spouse (not industry standard)

Liability is definitely covered. It's not legal to have no liability coverage. Liability part is provided by a traditional insurance company that Tesla uses.

You can add spouse or any other person to your insurance as well, same as every other insurance I have used.