TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X is ruining my Model S

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Marcus Adolfsson, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Marcus Adolfsson

#1 Marcus Adolfsson, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    The Model X is ruining my Model S... ok totally sarcastic but I drove the S this morning after driving my wife's X all weekend, and it felt claustrophobic. Reminded me of the first time I sat in a Volt. Damn gigantic windshield on the X. No auto-closening doors either :mad: :tongue:

2. Roamer

Roamer Member

It is such a pain to have to reach out and close the dang door. Every time I get in my S I am like, what the heck, why didn't the door close.

3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I realize this was a typo, but I love it.

4. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

5. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I love this thread, how fast can you get spoiled! It is hard to believe that you could make something better than the best.

6. Roamer

Roamer Member

Now I can be a gentleman and open the door for my wife without getting out of the drivers seat. Scoring points.......

7. DougH

DougH Active Member

I feel like that and I don't have an X.

The cabin of the Model S is so cramped.

8. ankitmishra

ankitmishra Member

I also agree with OP and I even dont have a X neither a S.

9. Joel

Joel Active Member

I have not driven another car since I picked up my Model X last Saturday (January 16, 2016) for this very reason.

10. cbin97

cbin97 Member

This is rad. I have wondered if this would happen. Hoping it does, cause I was assuming it was just going to be a bigger S and not SO MUCH better.

11. X Factor

X Factor New Member

If your wife asks why did you open the door for her? Say to her...i opened the door not because you're a lady, it's because i am a gentleman

12. tstafford

tstafford Member

We are about to place an X deposit for the wife. She's seen the 4K video from this thread and is now fully sold (Tesla Model X P90D Review - Part I (4K)). I'm worried that it will spoil my MS so I plan to get a 90D for her so that my car is at least faster (if older)!

13. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

I haven't had the chance to sit in a Model X yet, but I agree that the Model S feels very "closed in". The cabin in the S is wide, but the driver does not seem to have have much leeway between shoulder and door, and the headroom is also very low. While this contributes to the sports car feel of the vehicle, many buyers will prefer more space. My Honda Civic honestly feels more open in the front.

Eventually I expect the Model X to outsell Model S by 3:2 for this very reason.

14. 1208

1208 Active Member

What about the ride height? Was the feeling better in the X than S?

15. CarlK

CarlK Member

Wife is getting a XP90DL and I only have a P85+. At least mine is not going to tell me how to steer.

16. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

They should be able to implement the self closing and opening front doors in the next update to the Model S that we will likely see this year.

17. CarlK

CarlK Member

Would be great for lazy owners like Roamer. :wink:

18. Zextraterrestrial

#18 Zextraterrestrial, Jan 25, 2016
    I drove a tan interior car and it felt much bigger than the black interior, even without a black roof.
    didn't realize how much of a difference interior color makes.

but the X window...ya, can't compete with that!

19. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

I was looking forward to the pop-out door handles but perhaps self closing/opening doors would be more reliable on the S.

20. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

#20 Mark Z, Jan 25, 2016
    I am enjoying both Model S and X. The biggest surprise with Model X is the increased traffic noise when sitting at a busy cross street. It appears that the large windshield allows more traffic noise to enter the cabin. The sound system in Model X has so much more bass, that I turned down the bass response. The extra tint at the rear windows, the same range as a 3 year old Model S P85 and the lack of AM radio are a few Model X features that help me love the S. The large windshield, comfortable seats and higher profile are major Model X positives. The comparisons will continue as the service center improves Model X over time.

Both the SoCal LEAF & EV group and the OC Tesla group got a closeup look on the weekend. Even the Roadster, S and X keys were compared. A couple of Ludicrous rides occurred and all had a great time making their own comparisons.

IMG_2264.JPG IMG_2281.JPG IMG_2293.JPG