Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The shots of the nose make pretty clear that the "gap" that we've been seeing is a missing trim piece, and that it is the trim piece that has the Tesla "T" on it. Or maybe the "real" car has an Edsel grill on it.

Playing around with the calculator, the (roughly) equivalent sizes for 245/45 R 20 in 21 may be 255 40 21, which is 1 percent bigger. 255 35 22 is also 1 percent bigger. Either of those could, in theory, be the optional tire.

The base 20s might make a nice upgrade for the Model S, though, particularly if lots of people are going to be taking them off.

EDIT: Neither 255 35 22 or 255 40 21 have many options on Tirerack; the former only has one, while the latter has 3.

Last edited:
Oh c'mon, don't be such a wet blanket, Nigel! :) Why wouldn't they leave the final production version of the X parked outside, where anyone could walk up with a really good camera and take multiple shots with much finer detail .... hey, waaaaait a minute ...

Parking the car outside in broad daylight.....Maybe it was a deliberate leak to throw us off the scent? It's plausible. :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

Are you implying that Engineers are too dumb to find their cars when not parked in special areas? :eek:
Oooh trying to get me in trouble with Tesla Engineers, that's sneaky.

No, it's a big car park...."Hey Joe, where'd you park mule #38?" "In the south lot!" "Dude, there's like 800* cars out there..."

*This number may have been exaggerated for demonstration purposes, and to mollify any upset Tesla Engineers.....

One other thing that just occurred to me staring at the wheels--maybe others have noticed this before, and it's a fairly minor thing, but it looks like the lug nuts on the 20" wheel are not going to be visible; it appears there is a (missing) plastic cap that will cover the center of the wheel.

That's not particularly big news, but it's kind of interesting in that it's not something Tesla has done before.

One other thing that just occurred to me staring at the wheels--maybe others have noticed this before, and it's a fairly minor thing, but it looks like the lug nuts on the 20" wheel are not going to be visible; it appears there is a (missing) plastic cap that will cover the center of the wheel.

That's not particularly big news, but it's kind of interesting in that it's not something Tesla has done before.

I collected some pics in a post here: Model X mules - is the nose cone gone? - Page 5

Looking through them, it's clear that there are at least three distinct styles of wheel we are seeing. There's what we can assume is the "base" wheel, which we now know is 20". There's another wheel that is turbine-style, but doesn't look any bigger than the "base" wheel--I am guessing that this is also a 20" wheel. And then there's a turbine-style wheel that is substantially larger than the "base" wheel. It looks bigger than a 21, too, though that's just conjecture at this point. Maybe 22?

Maybe the hounds were approaching...

imagegif

Last edited:
The tires are still Continental CrossContact LX Sport as previously noted on the test vehicle with the grey turbine wheels. TireRack shows them costing nearly $400 each in this size, which seems like a poor choice given the reviews they have received. There's not a whole lot to choose from in SUV tires in this size unfortunately.

Why specify "SUV tires"? It isn't an SUV. Tire Rack shows 39 tires in that size. I didn't check the speed rating and load capacity on all of them, but all of the ones I checked were at least as high as the Conti's in the picture. The Cross Contact LX Sport is the most expensive offered, but there are several options below $150.

I'm good with this range of options.

If the 20" wheel is the base choice, it is likely for a functional reason. Such as the brakes were needed to be enlarged in order to bring towing capacity to a certain level.

Maybe. But it seems just as likely to me that it was done for aesthetic reasons. I can imagine that 19" wheels might look a little small with the bulked up proportions of the Model X. They are already kind of small on the Model S.

Can anyone find a Load Range capacity for those Contis? Somehow, I doubt it's going to be "E", but it would be nice if it were a "D", so as at least to come close to being appropriate for hauling that dump trailer shown a week or so ago.

If the 20" wheel is the base choice, it is likely for a functional reason. Such as the brakes were needed to be enlarged in order to bring towing capacity to a certain level.

Road clearance as well, perhaps, and maybe load capacity?

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone find a Load Range capacity for those Contis? Somehow, I doubt it's going to be "E", but it would be nice if it were a "D", so as at least to come close to being appropriate for hauling that dump trailer shown a week or so ago.

What has load range to do with towing? A proper trailer will exert little tongue weight.