Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are a few high resolution photos that I took today ... many details are now clear on the front and rear views.

IMG_3611.JPG

IMG_3612.JPG

Thanks for the photos, FlatSix911!
Looks to my untrained eye like there is still some kind of camouflage on the rear door and nose, but the spoiler area and back look very cool.
We are almost as thirsty for news as your lawns are out there!
Our state fair starts this week, I was hoping to be able to tell my friends that will be visiting from out of town that I had heard something or show them a good picture of the final design. :-/

Good shots, FlatSix911. Thank you for sharing.

However, I would recommend nobody take a better resolution as adding confirmation to anything. This is not confirmation of a new nose or what it will look like. It is very unlikely that is an uncamoed, or even the final nose. Just because we get a better look at it due to quality photography doesn't mean it is any more final than an earlier potato camera shot of the same. :) Those images, while great, offer nothing new that I can see from a sighting point of view, this is what the mules have looked like (gradually getting better) since January - but are great to watch of course despite that. Also, it doesn't seem like the latest of the mules from the quality/fit, but that could naturally depend on what they have been doing with it.

I did find Local host's quote interesting too - and would add some credence to the idea that nose is the most biggest certain unknown after the interior of the Model X:

The photos aren't worth going over to look at. Just 8 bit blocks. What is most interesting is the posters description:

"I went to the Fremont Supercharger by way of the test track and saw what I believe are release candidate Model X. There was a black one and a white one, without camo or disguise, so I believe they are the release candidates or validation releases that are now rolling off the line. I can say that they look true to the concept design, unlike the mules we've been seeing. The front definitely does not have the pointy look, but more of the full front fascia. They look beautiful. The falcon-wing glass top looked clear, so I wonder if they have the electrochromic tinting feature. The hinges looked curved."

Emphasis mine.

New nose cone confirmed!:smile:

I think you missed the camo, and the fact that half the front end is still missing. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Whoa, three different warning stickers with green dots on them! Could these be indications that this car drives autonomously? And the funny little antenna on the roof where the previous green light was seen....
IMG_3611.JPG
:eek:

- - - Updated - - -

But what's with the Engineering cars only marking on the tarmac? Where the cars there for certification purposes?

That looks like the car park at the Deer Creek offices. The spaces reserved for "Engineering" are just so they can find the cars when they are taking them in and out for testing.

Mfg tags are good for how long? This expires in Oct - may be a way of telling how long it has been in existence.

- - - Updated - - -

Same plate as posting 1344

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry.... 1338

The plates are issued to Tesla and usable on any vehicle in their fleet. The expiration date is of no significance to the test program. Also, this plate is clearly MFG 63277 75H and while post 1338 is too grainy to be legible, the last 3 digits do not appear to be 75H. It was definitely a different vehicle (wheels and taillights don't match).

The headlights are still partially camoed and this one has a wire running from the headlights into the front door. I don't recall much/any discussion yet on the headlights and what Tesla could possibly do to improve them (and why they feel it necessary to put camouflage on them). Now that there is a sensor in the headlights, I'm even more curious what Tesla might be doing. Things I can think of:
- motorized steering tracking
- auto high-beam adjustment
- additional camera/sensor(s) in the headlight assembly
- laser beam guidance lines to help driver distinguish corners of vehicle

Here are a few high resolution photos that I took today ... many details are now clear on the front and rear views.
View attachment 90130

I think you missed the camo, and the fact that half the front end is still missing. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Whoa, three different warning stickers with green dots on them! Could these be indications that this car drives autonomously? And the funny little antenna on the roof where the previous green light was seen....
View attachment 90147:eek:

So do tell me, does patronizing ever get old? ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with AR, I see nothing new in those two photos. That is not a production car. There is still the odd gap below the front edge of the hood and the Falcon door is not aligned correctly. There is some camp taping on that car. No way to confidently visualize what the production version will look like.

Agreed. One thing even I missed, though, but others were sharp-eyed enough to note is that you can (almost) see the tire size... if that is indicative of anything. That is new (as far as sightings go), I have tried before with previous sightings but never managed even close to see it.

If the poster of the latest photos could post full-res crops of the tires?

That looks like the car park at the Deer Creek offices. The spaces reserved for "Engineering" are just so they can find the cars when they are taking them in and out for testing.

Oh c'mon, don't be such a wet blanket, Nigel! :) Why wouldn't they leave the final production version of the X parked outside, where anyone could walk up with a really good camera and take multiple shots with much finer detail .... hey, waaaaait a minute ...

The tires are still Continental CrossContact LX Sport as previously noted on the test vehicle with the grey turbine wheels. TireRack shows them costing nearly $400 each in this size, which seems like a poor choice given the reviews they have received. There's not a whole lot to choose from in SUV tires in this size unfortunately.