Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that video was filmed on the northbound 280 and the Model X driver exited at Alpine Road which is near the Tesla Palo Alto headquarters office.

I think you mean Page Mill... Alpine doesn't have a dedicated exit lane.

Anyway, my news for today: I was driving home on 280 northbound at 3:30pm this afternoon when suddenly what should pop out from El Monte onto 280 right in front of me... the Model X (looked the same as the last video)! I wasn't going to pull out my phone and film while driving, however the human eyes have better contrast (dealing with differing brightness) than a camera, so I might be able to note things that a camera can't. This is what I noted:

No mirror. There was definitely no center rearview mirror. There was a small plastic lump there, about the size of a mouse. Seemed much smaller than the plastic lump in my Model S. I couldn't see the console or anything as of course I was in my model S and hence lower than the X. What is in that lump in my S? rain detection?
Unusual spoiler At the rear of the car where the spoiler is on my S there were some interesting ridges. This may be for aerodynamic effect, or this may be just to hold the camoflage on.
Wheels. Wheels looked bigger than on my model S. As I was in my S I felt like I had a decent sense of scale, but I may be mistaken on this one.
Driving pattern The driver came on the freeway, accelerated to traffic speed for the right hand lane (65-68mph). Then the brake lights came on and he traveled at around 60-62mph constant speed while appearing to vear slightly to the right (like in the latest video, but a little less obvious). At the bottom of the hill (nearing the exit) he accelerated to 70 or 75mph (not uncommon on 280) and took Page Mill. He was in the right lane the whole time. My take on this is that cruise control (and or autopilot) was likely set to 60mph, and one he had stabilized himself on the freeway he engaged cruise control in order to test either autopilot or lane keeping/warning
The nose: The front of the car looks the same as a model S, except stretched up, and with white covering.
The roof I noted that each rear door takes up about 1/3 of the roof (width) and there is a roof panel taking up around 1/3 of the roof. There would easily be room for a specially designed roof rack for skis. A large roof box wouldn't fit unless it angled or raised with the door, or the door didn't go fully up with such a box. Even the last of these (door doesn't fully raise) actually looked like it could be a workable solution. I'm pretty confident that Tesla can figure something out here.

Anyway, my news for today: I was driving home on 280 northbound at 3:30pm this afternoon when suddenly what should pop out from El Monte onto 280 right in front of me... the Model X (looked the same as the last video)! I wasn't going to pull out my phone and film while driving, however the human eyes have better contrast (dealing with differing brightness) than a camera, so I might be able to note things that a camera can't. This is what I noted:

No mirror. There was definitely no center rearview mirror. There was a small plastic lump there, about the size of a mouse. Seemed much smaller than the plastic lump in my Model S. I couldn't see the console or anything as of course I was in my model S and hence lower than the X. What is in that lump in my S? rain detection?
Unusual spoiler At the rear of the car where the spoiler is on my S there were some interesting ridges. This may be for aerodynamic effect, or this may be just to hold the camoflage on.
Wheels. Wheels looked bigger than on my model S. As I was in my S I felt like I had a decent sense of scale, but I may be mistaken on this one.
Driving pattern The driver came on the freeway, accelerated to traffic speed for the right hand lane (65-68mph). Then the brake lights came on and he traveled at around 60-62mph constant speed while appearing to vear slightly to the right (like in the latest video, but a little less obvious). At the bottom of the hill (nearing the exit) he accelerated to 70 or 75mph (not uncommon on 280) and took Page Mill. He was in the right lane the whole time. My take on this is that cruise control (and or autopilot) was likely set to 60mph, and one he had stabilized himself on the freeway he engaged cruise control in order to test either autopilot or lane keeping/warning
The nose: The front of the car looks the same as a model S, except stretched up, and with white covering.
The roof I noted that each rear door takes up about 1/3 of the roof (width) and there is a roof panel taking up around 1/3 of the roof. There would easily be room for a specially designed roof rack for skis. A large roof box wouldn't fit unless it angled or raised with the door, or the door didn't go fully up with such a box. Even the last of these (door doesn't fully raise) actually looked like it could be a workable solution. I'm pretty confident that Tesla can figure something out here.

Great post cantdecide, thanks for sharing! More support to something odd in the spoiler area and lack of rear-view mirror seem to get confirmation, as does the lane assistance driving pattern... Thank you. For the roof, I still worry the doors - when open - may infringe on the empty space in the middle of the car. But we don't know until we see the final version of course. If these are even anywhere near the final falcons seen on the mule.

The lump is used for rain detection and (in newer Teslas) the forward-looking camera for the autopilot system. I was wondering how they would be able to get around this with Model X, but it seems the answer is they aren't. The camera needs to maintain a clear view of the road ahead, and the best way to do this is by placing it in an area that the wipers clear. It would surprise me if they do in fact leave off the rear-view mirror in the production version since they need to have wiring and a mounting point there anyway.

The lump is used for rain detection and (in newer Teslas) the forward-looking camera for the autopilot system. I was wondering how they would be able to get around this with Model X, but it seems the answer is they aren't. The camera needs to maintain a clear view of the road ahead, and the best way to do this is by placing it in an area that the wipers clear. It would surprise me if they do in fact leave off the rear-view mirror in the production version since they need to have wiring and a mounting point there anyway.

Depending on the hood curvature, they could possibly put the camera in a small bulge in the top of the center dash instead. The lower center area is generally better covered by the wipers anyway, and it would allow the driver an unobstructed view.

I'm not sure what I'd do with parking hang tags, though...

Here in Europe the rear-view mirror needs to be present, by traffic law. Don't think they can remove it without anyone "noticing". :wink:

Presence or lack of an internal mirror in the Model X mule isn't quite interesting as such, because as you correctly point out its presence may change due to regional legislation in production.

It is interesting because it may speak of other things.

Depending on the hood curvature, they could possibly put the camera in a small bulge in the top of the center dash instead. The lower center area is generally better covered by the wipers anyway, and it would allow the driver an unobstructed view.

I'm not sure what I'd do with parking hang tags, though...

Why not put cameras next to and just ahead of the headlights? That way they are protected under the same covering and at night they will be back-lit. Is that why the mules have tape over the headlights? :rolleyes:

@satheesh.net
By EU legislation from 2003, it do not need to be a rear view mirror, can be a indirect vision to get information about car behind you and blind spot.
This convers inside and outside mirrors.
Look like they go futher and want to make it mandatory with blindspot detection, but cant find a legeslation about that. (Not done a large research yet)

The ACT says rearview mirrors and/or the accselerated introduction of new technologi will enlarge the field of indirect vision of drivers of passenger cars, busses....

Look at the or. :)

Så legal to use camera instead of mirrors since 2003. :)
EUR-Lex - l21056 - EN - EUR-Lex

US is slower have not seen it introduced yet. :-(
(Side mirrors replacement)

Last edited:
Interesting idea, but I don't think it can happen, as a single bug splash could completely blind the camera, without the driver even knowing.

Interestingly, the DRIVE PX (if applicable) diagram suggests no windshield forward camera (but front mask/bumper instead):

Model X mule(s) show signs of nVidia Tegra X1 Drive PX platform - no rear mirror!!

That said, it could be just because DRIVE PX is an addition to the camera in the windshield that might operate other systems, or the diagram is simply not representative of all implementation possibilities.

Of course, Model X also might ship without DRIVE PX. So just an anecdote.

But if DRIVE PX were to be in this format in Model X, the stub in the windshield might have the driver monitoring camera plus rain sensor?

Why not put cameras next to and just ahead of the headlights? That way they are protected under the same covering and at night they will be back-lit. Is that why the mules have tape over the headlights? :rolleyes:

Interesting idea, but I don't think it can happen, as a single bug splash could completely blind the camera, without the driver even knowing.

All forward facing cameras have this limitation. Having two reduces the likelihood that both are obscured. Having a wiper blade can help ensure that visibility remains adequate at all times. But, I do agree, this seems unlikely. Maybe some other sensor that would be better suited here.

More support to something odd in the spoiler area ... I still worry the doors - when open - may infringe on the empty space in the middle of the car.

Right, my sense from my memory is that the spoiler area did look like that photo, although a bit more pronounced and all the way across the car. I'm still guessing it is there to help spoil the airflow.
To my memory the pattern on the camoflage on the roof was not consistent with that link to the photo of the doors on the early version... that version seems to have them each occupying half the roof. My view was slightly obstructed, however, by being in an S and lower than the roof height of the X... so I might just not have seen it right, or the camoflage might have been placed not corresponding exactly to the end of the door. We'll have to wait and see...

Oh, and I think he was wearing a white shirt with blue checks :smile:

Right, my sense from my memory is that the spoiler area did look like that photo, although a bit more pronounced and all the way across the car. I'm still guessing it is there to help spoil the airflow.
To my memory the pattern on the camoflage on the roof was not consistent with that link to the photo of the doors on the early version... that version seems to have them each occupying half the roof. My view was slightly obstructed, however, by being in an S and lower than the roof height of the X... so I might just not have seen it right, or the camoflage might have been placed not corresponding exactly to the end of the door. We'll have to wait and see...

Oh, and I think he was wearing a white shirt with blue checks :smile:

Thank you for deciding to post, cantdecide. :)

My guess - it looked like this:

Cargo connection points on Model X mule rear/roof? - Page 2

I believe the mules have shown the doors occupying less of the roof than on the 2012-2013 prototype(s), both in length and in width.

However, I still fear all opened up the doors may hinge over the roof, thus taking away from space for skis etc. like here:

Cargo connection points on Model X mule rear/roof? - Page 2

p.s. Thank you for the all-important shirt data point, we understand a checkered shirt is mandatory to drive a Model X. :) That's why you need DRIVE PX with driver monitoring! The car won't start unless you have a checkered shirt.

- - - Updated - - -

@satheesh.net
By EU legislation from 2003, it do not need to be a rear view mirror, can be a indirect vision to get information about car behind you and blind spot.
This convers inside and outside mirrors.
Look like they go futher and want to make it mandatory with blindspot detection, but cant find a legeslation about that. (Not done a large research eather)

The ACT says rearview mirrors and/or the a accselerated introduction of new technologi will enlarge the Field of indirect vision of driverk of passenger cars, busses....

Lok at the or. :)

Så legal to use camera instead of mirrors since 2003. :)
EUR-Lex - l21056 - EN - EUR-Lex

US is slower have not seen it introduced yet. :-(
(Side mirrors replacement)

sigurdi never fails. :) Thank you, very interesting.

I just saw the same test car doing the same route at about 2:00-10 p.m. local time. I was driving north on I280 and exited at Page Mill alongside it. I spotted it a good 1/4 mile ahead of me and followed it briefly before exiting alongside it, although I didn't get as good a look as Cantdecide. After having read this thread about two hours ago before my lunch break. it is unmistakable in appearance. I also unfortunately was not in a position to take pictures. As the driver exited on Page Mill and came to the sharper curves in the offramp, he appeared to be attempting to swerve the car and the car seemed to be self-correcting and avoiding a crash. What struck me most about the car was the rear. The shape and contours of the rear are quite unique. I also didn't see much in the way of windows in the rear hatch, although this could just be the glass was covered up for test purposes.

The reports just keep coming in.

What is curious to me, why is it this one mule that keeps appearing - all the time seemingly testing a "trivial" seeming feature like an active lane assist on the curb. (By trivial I mean a relatively simple task compared to activity in mid-traffic or between various kinds of lanes.)

Maybe they are having some issues with that particular one and want to test extra. Or maybe it is the first big thing in public testing and more mules will soon follow.

I mean, it would seem kind of cruel to send people to drive "against" the side of the road for extended periods just to tease us here.

Or maybe we are just missing the rest, of course.

That said, maybe they are testing the checkered shirt detection instead. Can't test that too much!

Last edited:
I'd caution generally about anyone thinking it's more support for speculation on this or that feature. It's most likely (and the phots/videos support this) that folks are seeing the same car on the same route, likely for repeated testing or for commuting it between two points.