Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for including that picture! The Model X appears nearly identical, even down to the HVAC vents. I noticed under the left vent (left of the dashboard), there is nothing but flat trim, looks like the old lacewood in this picture. (RIP) I see a similar flat panel in the Model X video... I was expecting to see more complexity regarding mirrors, but perhaps this car has nothing because they are not driving "mirrorless" cars around out in the open yet to keep that feature a secret. Or, perhaps, the whole mirror thing has become legendary and they are not now doing anything different with mirrors. Which would be disappointing, as Elon continually repeats that he intends for Tesla's production cars to exceed the quality and functionality of the prototypes in every way (yet here, we see a production car with conventional mirrors). The simple explanation is that the mirrorless, uh, mirrors, are an option you have to pay for, and the base car, which they're driving, has conventional mirrors.

Uh, this a picture of an S, re-read the original post.

- - - Updated - - -

My comment was a bit in jest, but there definitely are two separate pieces of glass there... For whatever reason.
Looks like a trip strip, an aerodynamic device that reduces drag on the vehicles rear, the prius has one.

Back to the interior picture, the screen and the dash look like almost in the Model S. It's a mule, they won't play with that so late or?

The only clear difference I see is a flat bottom of the steering wheel, like Audi uses in their S-Line or Sports versions.

Thanks for including that picture! The Model X appears nearly identical, even down to the HVAC vents. I noticed under the left vent (left of the dashboard), there is nothing but flat trim, looks like the old lacewood in this picture. (RIP) I see a similar flat panel in the Model X video... I was expecting to see more complexity regarding mirrors, but perhaps this car has nothing because they are not driving "mirrorless" cars around out in the open yet to keep that feature a secret. Or, perhaps, the whole mirror thing has become legendary and they are not now doing anything different with mirrors. Which would be disappointing, as Elon continually repeats that he intends for Tesla's production cars to exceed the quality and functionality of the prototypes in every way (yet here, we see a production car with conventional mirrors). The simple explanation is that the mirrorless, uh, mirrors, are an option you have to pay for, and the base car, which they're driving, has conventional mirrors.

If the production Model-X has mirrors, its because of regulations and not because Elon failed to exceed the functionality of the prototypes. Elon definitely wants mirrorless cars and I believe he'll do whatever is possible to achieve that. If the final production model has mirrors, its because he couldn't find a way around the regulations.

Do you really think the entry level Model X will be priced at $70K when a 70D starts at $75K?

My mistake. I am so used to using the UK studio I went to check the US one for the 85d in dollars but only looked at the top price without reading the "after incentive etc".

As I think the price will be comparable to the 85d I should have said $85k.

On another note I agree with others that they seem to be using the same dashboard as the S, perhaps to speed up production and reduce cost.

Back to the interior picture, the screen and the dash look like almost in the Model S. It's a mule, they won't play with that so late or?

The only clear difference I see is a flat bottom of the steering wheel, like Audi uses in their S-Line or Sports versions.

Model S also has a flat-bottomed steering wheel.

See image comparisons e.g. here: Model X mules - Do they have an extra tall dash screen?

I agree, it looks very much like Model S interior. We don't, of course, know if the mule has final production interior at all.

You imply a price reduction over all battery sizes?

Why would they increase European S prizes by small percentages 2 month before a big overall lowering is on the schedule?

Feels like they still need all margin they can get, for now.

The S70D is $75,000 + delivery + taxes. I'm saying the X70D will be $79,900 + delivery + taxes.

Prices in Euros will still convert pretty well after the rise, since right now, the conversion to dollars from Euros is shrinking their profit.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh, this a picture of an S, re-read the original post.

I knew that, LOL :)

It is helpful to see a similar angle of the Model S to illustrate the similarities between the two cars.

- - - Updated - - -

If the production Model-X has mirrors, its because of regulations and not because Elon failed to exceed the functionality of the prototypes. Elon definitely wants mirrorless cars and I believe he'll do whatever is possible to achieve that. If the final production model has mirrors, its because he couldn't find a way around the regulations.

Agreed.

While I liked the prototype Model X touch screen treatment it is in Teslas best interest to the keep the dashes similar. It keeps a familial look and feel to the cars. The one thing that has changed quite a bit with the Model S prototype was the interior and Model X shouldn't be any different. The exteriors of both cars differ very little from the shown prototypes.

Agreed, thank you for sharing that even though it seems to be an older Model S interior?

I edited the Model S and Model X dash images together and I agree, the dashboards and screen-size seems pretty much identical.

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that they're the same size screen. What would be the rationale for a different size that would justify increased cost/decreased economies of scale, more complex future software engineering, etc? There may be a need for a change when the vehicle cost comes down significantly, but for Model X? I would approximate the chance at about 0%.

I absolutely agree that it seems against the best interests of Tesla to carry two sizes of screens for both X and S. Unified software GUI, along with all of the other things that Zaxxon mentioned. In addition, I don't see any real benefit in a larger screen than what I have on the S. In some ways, I think it would be more unwieldy.

As I mentioned in AnxietyRanger's other thread. The proportion of the model S dash could be an issue in a taller SUV. Seems like stretching the dash vertically would be a correct move while maintaining the overall design aesthetic.

There are going to be many things that are different from the S on the X, why would they keep the screen the same? Even Elon mentioned on the earnings call that they started out with the model s but diverged greatly during design for the model X.

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that they're the same size screen. What would be the rationale for a different size that would justify increased cost/decreased economies of scale, more complex future software engineering, etc? There may be a need for a change when the vehicle cost comes down significantly, but for Model X? I would approximate the chance at about 0%.

I guess one reason would be Elon Musk saying final cars will be as good or better than prototypes - the Model X prototype had a larger 19" screen. :)

There's no reason to believe a 19" screen is better than a 17" one. Have you heard anybody complain about the screen in Model S? It's universally loved and considered the best system of any car.

If Model X interior ends up being just a rehash of Model S, the Model X prototype dash becomes a "concept car" interior-wise for Tesla since the bolder interior didn't get implemented but production practicalities won the day. Not unlike big auto and their concepts... It isn't really about the inches but the fact will Model X get its own interior. If it just recycles Model S it is harder to argue "better than prototype"...

We shall see of course. It is not out yet. :)

I am realy happy as a consumer if X and S have common parts like the screens, mirrors....
Both cars is prodused in "smal" numbers and spare parts prices will also be high just because of that.
Common parts as screen makes it less exspensive in 5-6 years if it gets broken and I have to replace it.
Larger numbers of units on the road gives more use of spare parts and lower cost for me (consumer).
The screen have spare part price around $3000-4000 if I remember right, sine it is prodused in a smal number and dubble or trippel the volume gives lower prices.

I am realy happy as a consumer if X and S have common parts like the screens, mirrors....
Both cars is prodused in "smal" numbers and spare parts prices will also be high just because of that.
Common parts as screen makes it less exspensive in 5-6 years if it gets broken and I have to replace it.
Larger numbers of units on the road gives more use of spare parts and lower cost for me (consumer).
The screen have spare part price around $3000-4000 if I remember right, sine it is prodused in a smal number and dubble or trippel the volume gives lower prices.

Totally with you on this, sigurdi.

One of the value propositions early-on was that different vehicles would be built on the same platform, reducing costs and increasing efficiency. Model S and Model X have always been pitched as being on the same platform - next new platform will be Model 3, with presumably a smaller SUV version, perhaps the next Roadster iteration, etc.

Having parts in common within the same platform family is an easy win for Tesla. It lowers inventory costs, reduces probability of problems with a new vehicle, doesn't require the same level of verification activities (no First Article because no new part), already has a history in the field for reliability, etc.

Smart move by a new company. It's one of the many things they're doing right.