Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody in the Volkswagen enthusiast group posted some photos of Model X mule, interestingly enough, in the same line of traffic behind a LEAF.

http://insideevs.com/spotted-tesla-model-x-next-nissan-leaf/

A perfect example of how perspective is everything. In the first picture it looks like the Model X mule is only slightly larger than the Leaf. In the other pictures you can see it is a lot more large.

- - - Updated - - -

If they had Michigan plates, I wonder if they are back from a testing round there?

The mule indeed looks quite banged up... Did a quick lens and perspective adjust on the thing and I'd say in the photo the car looks so big because the camera lens had magnified the nose and made the rear look tiny in comparison.

View attachment 82381

I see no reason to think this is not a Model X. Especially if they were testing in Michigan... considering the Model 3 roadmap, it is hard to see why they'd have taken Model 3 mules there this yearly.

Here too, I think it is clear that these are the same car just a slight change in perspective. Look at the guys arm and see it is almost the same size as the door handle.

20150529_165334.jpg
20150529_165245.jpg
20150529_165142.jpg
20150529_165137.jpg
20150529_165129.jpg

I think I saw a Model X getting loaded on my way home today. I tried to get close up snaps but the interior came out dark. The guy ratcheting down the car screamed at me lol. This hauler had Arizona plates. There was nothing I could see in the back except wiring & aluminum foil. It sort of sucks being short :-/

I think I saw a Model X getting loaded on my way home today. I tried to get close up snaps but the interior came out dark. The guy ratcheting down the car screamed at me lol. This hauler had Arizona plates. There was nothing I could see in the back except wiring & aluminum foil. It sort of sucks being short :-/
Good find. Maybe you should get a selfie stick so you can see inside next time! ;)

Thanks for pics of the X!

Last edited:

Great pictures, nonetheless.

Am I wrong, or do the door handles look like they match up really, really well? The whole falcon wing door fit and finish looks more or less perfect. Better than any prior videos and photos of other Model X's that I've seen, so far, anyway. It's a white car so it can been scrutinised a lot more closely, too.

I call it the Hermoine purse effect. The Model X is simply bigger on the inside than the outside. When I was at the original reveal event, and standing right next to the car, I could not believe it could hold seven adults and luggage. Then I climbed inside myself, into the third row, and sat there amazed!

"the Hermoine purse effect" I like that. My wife is a big Harry Potter fan. Now with this purse effect information maybe I can get her interested in Tesla. So far no luck, she just wonders why I spend so much time on the forum!

I tried to get close up snaps but the interior came out dark. The guy ratcheting down the car screamed at me lol. This hauler had Arizona plates. There was nothing I could see in the back except wiring & aluminum foil. It sort of sucks being short :-/

Well done! The thing that stands out to me is the amount of greasy fingerprints all over the chrome and paint. This thing is being heavily used.

- - - Updated - - -

Also.. what is that interior frame I'm seeing? Almost as if there's a window on the interior that is not the same as the one on the shell. Does anyone else see that?

Nice work Jersey Girl! I see you are getting less fearful of the big truck drivers. :rolleyes: What I find interesting is the rectangular panel in the trailer near the ceiling. It has something like 26 big gauge wires going out from it. Anyone know what this is for? You don't think that they use this to charge the cars while they're in tow, do you?

What I find interesting is the rectangular panel in the trailer near the ceiling. It has something like 26 big gauge wires going out from it. Anyone know what this is for? You don't think that they use this to charge the cars while they're in tow, do you?

That's the hydraulics system for loading cars, there are two levels inside the covered transporter just like on the open ones.

He screamed at you!! LoL! I love it!!

My new theory, based on those few photos: the car is skinned on the exterior. That's a possible reason we're seeing misalignment on the panels and such - those are actually just false panels. I'm not saying this applies to all of the exterior, and this whole idea is definitely over the conspiracy line for me (AR, have you subconsciously infected me? :smile:), but something looks weird there. It could be that the eventual trim pieces clean the look up and when the doors close they cover that whole pillar, but.. there's a lot of overlap there, isn't there?

View attachment 82501View attachment 82502View attachment 82503View attachment 82504View attachment 82505

I lightened the the first picture and clearly no rear view mirror.
image.jpg

I call it the Hermoine purse effect. The Model X is simply bigger on the inside than the outside. When I was at the original reveal event, and standing right next to the car, I could not believe it could hold seven adults and luggage. Then I climbed inside myself, into the third row, and sat there amazed!

Which is a rip off of Mary Poppins' bag. :smile: