Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh??? Mules like this don't have VINs.

It might. It could be a prototype / alpha / beta, not a "mule". Also, many mules have a "donor car" with the VIN from the original car that got gutted and re-purposed.

This old Roadster mule had a weird prototype VIN:
393807104_238519d1da.jpg

mule2-vin2.png

1T9RE11A15P829M02 - Car VIN number history report
mule2-vin.png

This old Model S VIN decoder showed a VIN sequence for "beta" prototypes...
attachment.php?attachmentid=8805&stc=1&d=1344762436.png

Some other VIN info showing prototypes have VINs:
t-vin-1.png

Last edited:
It might. It could be a prototype / alpha / beta, not a "mule". Also, many mules have a "donor car" with the VIN from the original car that got gutted and re-purposed.

This old Roadster mule had a Lotus Elise VIN plate:
393807104_238519d1da.jpg

But none of that applies to the MX mule, which is my point. Reading the VIN on the Lotus car wouldn't tell you anything about the Tesla mule anyway. so my point stands.. It's not like any MX mule / alpha / beta car is going to have a VIN that reveals anything about the mule. VINs are assigned to production cars.

Trailer is visible. Right side of mirror reflection.

Agreed, at least something that looks like one. I talked this through with the OP in another thread yesterday (see quote below). My working theory is that they were returning the mules from testing in Michigan, seeing how banged up they are and assuming the story about the Michigan plates is accurate.

Fair enough, I think I see the trailer in your side window showing... the black thing? Unfortunate timing on it now showing on the mirrors for context. Looks like a lonely abandoned Model X in the middle of the road. ;)

I do think it is a Model X, though.

And in whatever it is, thank you to anyone - always - for posting Tesla mule sightings. :) So, thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

While I do think this is the an X mule, why would Tesla not have a 3-sized skateboard chassis in test already?

They might, but would it be in a state to drive on the roads?

If it were, I would guess they'd prefer to do what most car companies do when testing platform mules, disguise it as an already-released car (Model S in their case) not to attract unwanted attention? After all, they are punching out tons of metal for the Model S already, scavenging that parts bin for Model 3 mule parts seems more likely than using another already in-development car (Model X) as a source. I guess the only way that would make sense if Model 3 and Model X are somehow uniquely alike and Model S is the oddball out...

So, I agree with you this is an X mule. I also doubt Tesla would test Model 3 disguised as a Model X at this point anyway.

Audi, for example, was testing the current Audi A6 originally using the previous Audi A6 sheetmetal. Only by looking at the weird hemline were those mules discernible. :)

If it were, I would guess they'd prefer to do what most car companies do when testing platform mules, disguise it as an already-released car (Model S in their case) not to attract unwanted attention? After all, they are punching out tons of metal for the Model S already, scavenging that parts bin for Model 3 mule parts seems more likely than using another already in-development car (Model X) as a source. I guess the only way that would make sense if Model 3 and Model X are somehow uniquely alike and Model S is the oddball out...

Just a data point that probably doesn't mean anything, but I'll throw it out there, anyway: I live in Ann Arbor, MI, and not quite two months ago, I saw what looked like a black Model S 85 with a Michigan manufacturer plate -- I thought that was odd, since Tesla is all but banned from the state. I didn't think too much of it, though, since I see manufacturer plates all the time. Now, I'm wondering if it was some sort of test vehicle...

That car was way smaller than something like the Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV. It was also shorter in length than something like the Subaru Forester. Maybe all the Model X sightings are really model 3 ones. I drove by on my way home yesterday around 8 pm and the parking lots looked half full, which isn't normal that time of day.

Why are people obsessed with the Michigan plates? Truckers and especially transport trucks could be registered in their "home" state but operate nationwide. The only thing the Michigan plates tell us is where the truck was registered--and nothing to do with where the cargo came from.

I might be misremembering, but I thought Jersey Girl said the car itself had Michigan plates as well?

Michigan plates: I'd speculate that the vehicles are going to one of the Michigan proving grounds (several car companies have big track areas and test roads there)

I'm pretty sure I've heard around here that pretty much all auto manufacturers use Michigan dealer plates for test vehicles regardless of where the vehicles are actually being tested. I don't remember the reason, but just because it has Michigan plates doesn't mean it will ever be driven in Michigan.

Everything about this screams Model X to me. Don't have the time right now, but when I get home I will try to examine all the details. I would hope the Model 3 is not just a smaller Model X. The X has that styling to accommodate a third row and for a taller ride (CUV), but if the Model 3 has the same that would be disappointing.

There was also that leak previously of what was presumably a Model X testing at Alameda and a bunch of people back then also said it was too small to be a Model X.

That car was way smaller than something like the Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV. It was also shorter in length than something like the Subaru Forester. Maybe all the Model X sightings are really model 3 ones. I drove by on my way home yesterday around 8 pm and the parking lots looked half full, which isn't normal that time of day.

So kind of Subaru CrossTrek sized?

The human visual system is often easily misled. Angles, colors, lighting, perspective, context, etc. And I agree it looks small. But don't trust your eyes!

Here... I've taken the Model X image from Tesla's own web site, flipped it, skewed it a bit (to more closely match your perspective) and overlaid it (with transparency) over your image:
model-x-overlay.jpg

It's the Model X.

Let me see if this forum will allow an animated gif:

model-x-overlay.gif

Last edited:
The human visual system is often easily misled. Angles, colors, lighting, perspective, context, etc. And I agree it looks small. But don't trust your eyes!

Here... I've overlaid the image of the Model X from Tesla's web site on to your image and adjusted Tesla's image to account for the difference in perspective:
View attachment 82458

It's the Model X.

Nice going