Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beautiful shot of the spoiler in the final photo. I think this is the first time I've clearly seen the rear end with no tape all over it.

It's a rather nice adaptive spoiler!

Surprised it was "up" at city driving speeds.

Chroma green sticker is absent this time.

And... this is still a mule, as the rear doors still don't match up right.
Also awesome both drivers recreated the epic chase scene from Bullitt! Now that is mule stalking dedication.

Here's a bad photoshop of the rear with the chrome trim
Model X.jpg

This green light perplexed me, so I figured it required someone with a good imagination to figure it out. :redface: I was half-hoping this was some indicator of the NVDIA Drive PX or equivalent system.

What I know thus far is it is either:
(a) A permanent fixture that will be in the production vehicle or
(b) A sensor used only in testing, and hence not going to be in a production vehicle.

Since this green light is not very visible from behind, I can't imagine it being used to convey any information to surrounding drivers (e.g. Like a brake light would). Therefore, I'm guessing its only for testing purposes, probably the green light from a Logitech WebCam (as seen in earlier mules) using to collect data.

Green light from a webcam is good thinking. Certainly something a testing rig could have - and we have seen those cameras of course on both Model S and X mules.

What is puzzling, it seems to be located inside or outside of the strip of metal or glass between the falcon wings. I wonder if a rear-facing camera (the one to replace the rear-view mirror perhaps, could reside under glass there (and in a testing setup be replaced by a webcam). The angle at which it could see rearwards would seem very limited, so I doubt this would be the case.

Another option is, something placed on the roof, perhaps using green tape to attach it. A sensor? A camera? Merely packaging material left over from a hasty install of a new panel?

That wasn't a test drive... it was an advertisement

Considering this is one of the better mules, painted bumpers, full side trim (windows and wheelwells), spoiler up - an "advertisement" isn't impossible. I guess only the bigger rims are missing.

This is one fairly complete-looking mule. Of course depending on what one believes the final car to be compared to the mule. I have no clue.

attachment.php?attachmentid=86753&d=1436342029.jpg

The shots form behind and above are interesting.

I note there's a little contour in the roofline where the center section between the falcon-wings dips down to a lower height slightly.

It's also interesting that the falcon wing door edges at the roofline are not straight... they are slightly concave.

I would have loved to see the front of that mule...I wonder if there was much camo on this one.

I expect the usual front camo. The front lights seem camo'd as usual. They are hiding the nose for the reveal.

- - - Updated - - -

The mirrors though are the kind of thing that is easy to swap for production, so they might borrow them from Model S even if they have something else in mind for Model X. I have no idea if they do or don't.

The shots form behind and above are interesting.

I note there's a little contour in the roofline where the center section between the falcon-wings dips down to a lower height slightly.

It's also interesting that the falcon wing door edges at the roofline are not straight... they are slightly concave.

The concave edges have been very visible already since the March Left Lane News gallery, by the way. Very little except alignment improvements have visibly changed on the 2015 mules.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering this is one of the better mules, painted bumpers, full side trim (windows and wheelwells), spoiler up - an "advertisement" isn't impossible. I guess only the bigger rims are missing.

This is one fairly complete-looking mule. Of course depending on what one believes the final car to be compared to the mule. I have no clue.

attachment.php?attachmentid=86753&d=1436342029.jpg

I have to say, that car looks absolutely production spec, other than some tape on the trim.

That is true. If this is not the final Model X look, Tesla built-up the mules from rough to near-production-spec for some reason.

Sightings seem to be increasing with near-final production candidates on the road. Less wrap on the cars too, they're still masking out the Tesla on the back to still it on the down-low however.

We'll know soon enough what the deal is on the nose of Model X. Franz has mentioned in the past he wasn't happy with the face so I have a suspicion the nose of Model X will display the new family "look" for Tesla going forward. Model 3 ostensibly would have it and it gives Tesla the opportunity to give Model S a facelift next year. That would tie in the product line nicely.