Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you think these mules are out there?
Are they put out there to give us an idea of what the Model-X will look like?
Are they put out there to allow us to interpret Tesla's design decisions?
Are they put out there for Tesla to communicate with us the problems they are having?

Why are so many people interpreting the progress of the vehicle design by these mule shots? Its not rocket science to get door handles, trim and doors to line up. And even if it was, Elon Musk is a rocket scientist. There is a perfectly good reason why the fit and finish isn't there, and Tesla is more concerned about the true reason for these outings (testing, validation, data collection, etc.) rather than providing updates to us. On most of the mules, a lot of the trim is missing because they're trying to do some important work under the covers, not because they can't figure how to attach the trim.

There are hundreds of areas where the Model-X continues to need some tweaking and work, and we are never going to know or see those areas. The obvious things we see are trivial and easily fixed and not likely a concern for Tesla. There are much harder things to fix like Auto-Pilot, maximizing range, aerodynamics, production line quality, cup-holders, etc.

Please, lets get off this kick about the trim/door-handles not lining up or the door not being fully closed. Do you really think that hundreds of really smart engineers can't manage to get a stupid door to close properly? It's insulting. [/rant]

Moderators: This is what snippiness is. Feel free to move this to the Snippy thread, rather than my previous light-hearted post. [/snippiness]

Anyone remember how rough the Model S beta vehicles were? Those were seriously bad in the fit and finish department. I know because I sat in one and noticed all kinds of flaws. Anyhow, the production cars turned out fine so we shouldn't be so nit picky with the Model X. It's quite apparent now with the production candidates coming off the line that the fit and finish is sooo much better than the first mule sightings at the beginning of the year. Model X is going to have some interesting stuff we haven't even seen yet (mostly interior and tech).

NigelM said:
Either that or AR is so naive.

The insults just keep flying.

Why? What's the point.

Eds (who is not me as everyone well knows) referred in the Delay in Model X launch thread? to ongoing design changes, including door opening mechanism change from hydraulic to electric. I mentioned the rumor because it might bear relevance to jdevo2004's nice point:

jdevo2004 said:
I suspect the doors latch into the position we are seeing them in and then an electric solenoid or motor pulls the whole thing properly shut. Seems the final piece of the falcon wing doors is not quite ready yet.

It is just a rumor. As I said, I have no idea if it is accurate at all. But given Eds was right about a few things, I wouldn't automatically throw the rumor out of the window.

Damn it is hard to discuss Model X here sometimes. Wait, what? Always. :)

The continued snarky remarks at AR's expense reflect poorly on those continuing (ad nauseam) to make them. AR's voluminous analysis isn't my cup of tea, so I... don't read those posts. We really don't need folks ganging up to make his continued existence on this forum miserable.

337407.jpg

People are frustrated with Model X delays and taking it out on each other. With little to no news recently, we (TMC as a whole) are fighting over speculation.

Most of this should dissipate upon reveal and product delivery.

If Eds was right we're in trouble then, he said there'd be no Q3 deliveries, no more than 100 cars to customers by year end, and predicted early ones would be severely compromised.

If Eds was right we're in trouble then, he said there'd be no more than 100 cars to customers by year end and predicted early ones would be severely compromised.

It's also possible Eds had some insight into supplier issues and drew his own set of conclusions from them. In that case, some of his points were observations and some were extrapolations. The latter are questionable - "Elon wants to keep the stock price high" or whatever. The former could be more concrete. Assuming there's any validity to begin with.

I appreciate that this video helps give some context to the X's size (as someone who hasn't had the opportunity to see one in-person yet). With the original Pilot in front of it, the X looks to be about the same height, and probably a bit wider and longer than the Pilot (at least wheelbase-wise). I'm still slightly concerned that the sloped rear end will eat too much into cargo capacity (part of the point of having an SUV is being able to transport tall things--the sloped rear end cuts into that quite a bit), but we'll see. With less camo, it's definitely looking better.

View attachment 91710

it is a Crossover Utility Vehicle, not a van or full size SUV. so yeah its not going to haul around tall things.

- - - Updated - - -

New photos from 280 fwy
40d817579e137c816cce48f0ea1dc731.jpg

are they ever going to fix those door handles? this is going to drive all of us OCD'rs insane. its not just the door handle, but the other pieces of chrome too. the entire door looks bad. it actually kind looks like the vehicle is folding in half bending down the middle.

are they ever going to fix those door handles? this is going to drive all of us OCD'rs insane. its not just the door handle, but the other pieces of chrome too. the entire door looks bad. it actually kind looks like the vehicle is folding in half bending down the middle.

They call it "micro-camo". The wacky swirls and circles on the macro-camo doesn't faze people anymore, so now they just use minute shifts to create a rift in your brain. :)