Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X mules show signs of a new spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some great new shots of the adaptive spoiler/airfoil at work.

Including one that shows its open underneath:

model_x_spoiler_2.jpg

Testing spoiler in the hills of San Francisco... could that speak of downforce or other special aero needs?

The sort of speed you can reasonably achieve on the streets in SF are unlikely to be high enough for that spoiler to have any effect at all. More likely this is the same "spoiler" mule we saw previously, and the spoiler is permanently up.

The sort of speed you can reasonably achieve on the streets in SF are unlikely to be high enough for that spoiler to have any effect at all. More likely this is the same "spoiler" mule we saw previously, and the spoiler is permanently up.

By permanent you suggest a fixed spoiler? Or just adaptive but permanently up for testing? Latter is possible of course, former I don't think is supportable by what we've seen.

Interestingly, this close-up shows something underneath the spoiler not seen in the above image. Is there a second flap underneath the spoiler that adjusts as the car moves? In effect transitioning from spoiler to airfoil as need be?

It would make more sense to just change the angle of the spoiler for that, but of course we don't know if it can change angle.

model_x_spoiler_3.jpg

model_x_spoiler_4.jpg

By permanent you suggest a fixed spoiler? Or just adaptive but permanently up for testing? Latter is possible of course, former I don't think is supportable by what we've seen.

Interestingly, this close-up shows something underneath the spoiler not seen in the above image. Is there a second flap underneath the spoiler that adjusts as the car moves? In effect transitioning from spoiler to airfoil as need be?

It would make more sense to just change the angle of the spoiler for that, but of course we don't know if it can change angle.

Definitely an adaptive spoiler, but I am thinking that this mule has it fixed in the "open" position for whatever reason.

Very much doubt that it is a dual spoiler, but wouldn't be hugely surprised if the open position was variable and speed-sensitive.

The shape reminds me of the spoiler on the Audi RS7.

On the contrary, I don't think we've seen any evidence that this is an adaptive spoiler. We've seen vehicles where the spoiler is up, vehicles where there is a flat piece where the spoiler would be, and vehicles with taped over attachment points. There has not been a single series of photos that shows consecutive shots of the same vehicle with the spoiler in obviously different positions. What we do have is evidence that the spoiler stays up even in stop and go city driving where it serves no aerodynamic benefit.

This leaves the following potential conclusions besides it being an adaptive spoiler:
1. Model X has an optional fixed spoiler. On vehicles with the option, it is fixed in an upright position. On vehicles without it, there is a flat piece of trim over the mounting points.
2. Model X has a standard fixed spoiler, but it was a late addition to the test vehicle fleet. Earlier test vehicles had masking or a flat piece covering it, but what we see now is what the production vehicles will have.

I do think the spoiler greatly enhances the look of the Model X's rear end and would select it even if it provides no aerodynamic benefit, assuming it's not outrageously priced or Performance-only.

On the contrary, I don't think we've seen any evidence that this is an adaptive spoiler. We've seen vehicles where the spoiler is up, vehicles where there is a flat piece where the spoiler would be, and vehicles with taped over attachment points. There has not been a single series of photos that shows consecutive shots of the same vehicle with the spoiler in obviously different positions. What we do have is evidence that the spoiler stays up even in stop and go city driving where it serves no aerodynamic benefit.

This leaves the following potential conclusions besides it being an adaptive spoiler:
1. Model X has an optional fixed spoiler. On vehicles with the option, it is fixed in an upright position. On vehicles without it, there is a flat piece of trim over the mounting points.
2. Model X has a standard fixed spoiler, but it was a late addition to the test vehicle fleet. Earlier test vehicles had masking or a flat piece covering it, but what we see now is what the production vehicles will have.

I do think the spoiler greatly enhances the look of the Model X's rear end and would select it even if it provides no aerodynamic benefit, assuming it's not outrageously priced or Performance-only.

I find that terribly unlikely. It is not a very attractive spoiler for a fixed spoiler - and the supposed panel on non-spoiler cars isn't attractive either. Why not just put sheetmetal and add-on spoiler if the spoiler was a fixed option, like on Model S?

As shown in pictures earlier in this thread (when few believed in the spoiler), this area looks very much like the Porsche Panamera rear-window adaptive spoiler. Adaptive (or at least electric on/off) spoiler seems to me the likeliest scenario.

It is absolutely there for aerodynamic gain. The hatch of the roofline has too severe of a downward slope to keep the laminar streamline attached to the body all the way to the rear. This will cause separation from the body and cause a larger low pressure wake increasing aerodynamic drag. The spoiler will help to fill in this wake and reduce the low pressure wake. An ideal bodyline can be found on the eco modder site here.

Here is a quick view of the profile with the ideal body line laid on top:
x_profile_eco_modder_profile.jpg

The picture foreshortens the rear a bit so I don't think the bodyline departs quite as severely as the image suggests.

It is absolutely there for aerodynamic gain. The hatch of the roofline has too severe of a downward slope to keep the laminar streamline attached to the body all the way to the rear. This will cause separation from the body and cause a larger low pressure wake increasing aerodynamic drag. The spoiler will help to fill in this wake and reduce the low pressure wake. An ideal bodyline can be found on the eco modder site here.

Here is a quick view of the profile with the ideal body line laid on top:
View attachment 86877

The picture foreshortens the rear a bit so I don't think the bodyline departs quite as severely as the image suggests.

I wouldn't have minded a higher roofline at the back. More room for the dogs and cargo!

Yeah, but a higher roof-line would lead to an Aztek-like profile. Not very attractive. I'm guessing they had to make a compromise, and the spoiler helps offset some of the aerodynamic drag from the compromise.

I'm just used to my 1997 CR-V. Very boxy and tons more room than most current CUVs and SUVs out there. When the 3rd generation CR-V came out, many complained because they could no longer fit dog crates due to the sloped roof. I'm guessing there won't be many dog crates in an X. At least not with the seats up. lol.

I'm just used to my 1997 CR-V. Very boxy and tons more room than most current CUVs and SUVs out there. When the 3rd generation CR-V came out, many complained because they could no longer fit dog crates due to the sloped roof. I'm guessing there won't be many dog crates in an X. At least not with the seats up. lol.

The 1st gen CRV is a fantastic small SUV design. The cargo space shape, trunk doors, folded seat configuration was flawless. It is interesting how a friend with the Land Rover Freelander had more trouble fitting things in his small-SUV than in the CRV. The Aztek played with that in-between roof line -not too high, not too low- for a worse effect.
IMG_7499 3.JPG

And it got about 20 mpg, on a car way smaller and less powerful than the Model X. Really, really bad aerodynamics, but they didn't care much about those things back then.

And it got about 20 mpg, on a car way smaller and less powerful than the Model X. Really, really bad aerodynamics, but they didn't care much about those things back then.

193,000 miles and counting and I've averaged 26.9 mpg since purchase. Of course YMMV.

Unfortunately, Fuelly didn't exist back in the late 90s but I tracked every fill-up in Excel. Over the past 47 fill-ups, I'm still averaging over 25.6 mpg...including yet another tank over 30 mpg last August. I think my lowest MPG of all time was 21.49 MPG.

Last edited: