Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X price cuts- yet again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used refresh MXPs used to hover north of 100k, and recently in the 90’s. Nobody is going to buy the same exact car, with 10-20k miles and less tech for more money then a brand new one. A new MXP (equipped like my $147k plaid) is 97k.

How does residual value not get impacted?
Right. Just ask me. I bought a used 2017 MX 75D a year ago (for $70k) and with these latest cuts (what is it $18,500 less now NOT including the tax credit?) I'm so glad I sold our used MX a couple weeks ago! I sold it at a massive loss, but some dealers were only offering 25k for it. I did better than that, but still had to eat a lot of $. It also needed even more repairs and updates that were going to cost me another $7.5k and I probably dumped $5k in repairs into it since last summer already. I liked the MX, but I was DONE throwing $ at it.

So, if my residual values were not affected, someone needs to send me a check for $20k (not including tax & fee losses!).

Reactions: micaluzzo83
Right. Just ask me. I bought a used 2017 MX 75D a year ago (for $70k) and with these latest cuts (what is it $18,500 less now NOT including the tax credit?) I'm so glad I sold our used MX a couple weeks ago! I sold it at a massive loss, but some dealers were only offering 25k for it. I did better than that, but still had to eat a lot of $. It also needed even more repairs and updates that were going to cost me another $7.5k and I probably dumped $5k in repairs into it since last summer already. I liked the MX, but I was DONE throwing $ at it.

So, if my residual values were not affected, someone needs to send me a check for $20k (not including tax & fee losses!).
Exactly.

I have no love for used car dealers, but all of them who had model X sitting on their lot just lost a lot of value overnight. None of them will be able to make profits on them any more. This will prevent them from buying model Xs at auctions and driving their used value down even further. Teslas are depreciating faster than fords now. Rough. That being said if I can get close to 30k for my LR M3, I’d sell it and upgrade to a Y

Reactions: matj1285
See historic prices below. The lowest price for the Standard Range version was $81,000. A January 2024 price below $80,000 is indeed possible for the Standard Range X.

View attachment 965192

Link to data and references. I am amazed that there was a $40,000 premium from a 100D to P100DL in 2018.
Consider inflation is 18% in the last 3 years, this chart is not accurate. Need one that is inflation adjusted.

Going to be an awful lot of standard wheels, round steering wheel, black interior with 5 seats heading out the door. Amazing that just a year ago people had been waiting a year or more and paying in the 120's for the same non Plaid X. Now they can get it for $72,500. Elon is crushing the resale values on his cars. I own a Y and an X but they will be the last Teslas I ever purchase
I’m betting the price will eventually include different interior colors, maybe even seat arrangement. Otherwise they’re stuck with big inventory that won’t sell.

Going to be an awful lot of standard wheels, round steering wheel, black interior with 5 seats heading out the door. Amazing that just a year ago people had been waiting a year or more and paying in the 120's for the same non Plaid X. Now they can get it for $72,500. Elon is crushing the resale values on his cars. I own a Y and an X but they will be the last Teslas I ever purchase

Goging forward, Tesla should keep prices low so this "bummer" doesn't happen to others. Some greedy d-bags are suggesting to rip off first CT buyers as well:

Reactions: MrKashima
They needed to do this in order to price the CT accordingly, above $80k
Would be cool if the pricing has nothing to do with the Cybertruck and instead Tesla was waiting for Lucid to show its hand with the Sapphire. Now here comes the Plaid+ with 500 miles range, 8.8 1/4 mile, 0-60 in 1.8 all for $124,450. Faster with more range than the Sapphire for half the price. The LR and the Plaid had to drop in price to make room for the Plaid+. One can dream!

The goal of the cybertruck was to be cheaper than the Y. If they come in as the highest price vehicle, I guarantee it’ll flop

There’s no market for 2 million $100k+ trucks. 1/2 to 2/3rd of the reservations were made at $50k and under.

It will not flop, it will just screw over (resales value and otherwise) those who get the bleeding edge quality couple first year runs, when they are eventually forced to get down to real world prices. Same as what is happening with S/X with early (and persisting) quality issues and dropping prices to sell past early adopters. Tesla should not worry about black market and price it low regardless this way they protect their brand perception better (high black market value actually improves brand perception).

If the CT comes in below the X it's RIP for the X.

No reason to get a more expensive X over a better more utilitarian CT. Although I will say the recent online pictures of the CT make it look really cheap in quality, like a low $40k truck.

If the CT comes in below the X it's RIP for the X.

No reason to get a more expensive X over a better more utilitarian CT. Although I will say the recent online pictures of the CT make it look really cheap in quality, like a low $40k truck.
You assume everyone would be cross shopping the 2. There is zero chance I would buy a CT over an X - regardless of price. I have a 2020 X with free life time super charging and FSD. To pull me from that, Tesla would have to offer me to transfer those benefits to a new X.