Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X redesign: What's the chance of it having no FWDs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All Tesla needs to do is make the Cybertruck rear solar panel transparent and voilà - you have a cyberSUV.
Not really - would prefer to have complete access to the bed area in the back without such a sharp downward angle towards the back for headroom. Definitely a different vehicle. If Elon could make the rear seats fold down and have complete access to the rear that might be close enough.
Problem for us is:
1) Model Y is the right form factor, just too small
2) Model X is the right form just don't want to deal with falcon wing doors
3) Cybertruck is good but would rather have access to the back through the cabin and have more headroom in the back

Was hoping Tesla would announce a CyberSUV with the Cybertruck - that would've been sweet.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I had an S previously, and I would pay extra for a FWD Delete.
Loved using my back seat, and utilized it daily in the S.
In my year of X ownership, I've used the back seat maybe 3 times. I use the trunk instead which is often not ideal.
But...will not go back to the S strictly for the ride height.

It would be like taking the gull wings of a GullWing Mercedes.
Gullwing_merc.jpg

It would not be the same car.

No FWD, no fun!

BTW i see you have an S, have you ever had an X to say FWD is a no no?
I'm coming from an S too and was not certain about the FWD, but so far i have had no issues with them.
Yes. I had a fully loaded P100D for several days back when Tesla used to give loaners (consistently) when your car was being serviced. I parked it in the garage, hit the button to open up the doors, and they opened drooping downward (not fully upward) because the sensors thought they would hit the roof when they had plenty of room. I'm 6'3" and ducking under a droopy FWD or forcing it to open each time sucks. I think they later added a SW update to make the car "remember" when you wanted them to open fully, but since this was loaner, I didn't want to risk that SW setting being "sticky" and them opening up in an area where they really didn't have the clearance they needed.

To me they're slow to open, slow to close, gaudy, and a perfect example of over engineering. Now that it's VERY difficult to get service to fix anything well (or get an appointment or a loaner) I would never would to have anything that could be a high maintenance item on my car... and these are definitely that.

Many items on the model S can be serviced with basic know-how.. but I wouldn't want to touch the doors on the MX ever... which means you're at the mercy of the terrible Tesla service whenever they need to be tweaked or repaired.... and with the moving parts and complexity, I would imagine that will be more often than just normal doors had they gone with a normal door design.

The X is an aspirational vehicle. The falcon wing doors are part of the allure. It would be foolish of Tesla to get rid of them. In fact, one could question whether it would be worth even making the X at that point. Financially speaking. Just one in a field of many.
Elon said himself they were foolish to put on the car. LOL. He all but said in retrospect, if he were to do it again the MX would not have them.