Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you saying the front doors can't automatically close anymore? That would be a huge bummer as that is one of the advantages of the X. All doors can automatically open and close
No, they still auto close, but under certain circumstances, if the door detects an obstacle or is in a tight spot (like my garage) and the auto open is triggered, but only opens a little (under a 5 inches) the door is so heavy that the actuators lack the momentum to draw the door closed completely or draw the door close enough to have the soft-close mechanism take over to close completely. To replicate, just open the door a few inches and try to use the keyfob or app to close the door and the door will just try and try to close, but can't due to the lack of momentum to overcome the door's weight. If the door is open beyond 6 inches, it'll easily auto close without difficulty.

No, they still auto close, but under certain circumstances, if the door detects an obstacle or is in a tight spot (like my garage) and the auto open is triggered, but only opens a little (under a 5 inches) the door is so heavy that the actuators lack the momentum to draw the door closed completely or draw the door close enough to have the soft-close mechanism take over to close completely. To replicate, just open the door a few inches and try to use the keyfob or app to close the door and the door will just try and try to close, but can't due to the lack of momentum to overcome the door's weight. If the door is open beyond 6 inches, it'll easily auto close without difficulty.
Yes, this seems to be an issue with the new door and actuator design. My 2016 Model X didn't have this problem. Not sure it's fixable without redesigning the doors or using different actuators. I've just gotten used to slamming these new doors or making sure they are open beyond a foot before trying to have the actuators auto-close them.

Reactions: Dyspareunia
A few minor issues so far with my LR.

I found that the passanger door is more difficult to close, even when closing automatically. I checked the weatherstripping and found it was crooked on one area at the bottom of the door. I tried to straighten it, but it appears very firmly attached. I have scheduled a service appointment to address.

The MCU reboots randomly - the first time was when I first picked up the car and drove about 20 feet. I have also found the the XM Radio icon disappears randomly.

The driver's side FWD has a minor alignment issue.

There is a minor squeak coming somewhere behind the front seats while driving. It will take a bit more effort to locate.

Attachments

• 20220201_141048~2.jpg
    20220201_141048~2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 146
Update on what I’ve experienced so far on my Jan 2022 delivered LR X:

- Both FWD need adjusting. Passenger side won’t close without manual hold on screen 50% of the time. Driver side alignment off and rubbing paint in door jamb.
- Passenger Side Dash squeak (occasional)
- Driver Side Dash squeak over rough pavement (hugely annoying on my drive up I-5 from LA to SF today which is the first time I noticed it)
- Driver Side Taillight lense has started to separate from rest of assembly (the one in the fender, not the hatch)
- Dust visible behind instrument panel “glass”
- Trunk catches something (trim?) when opening and makes a snapping noise when opening
- Passenger side middle-row captains chair seatbelt not aligned with opening in seat (hard to connect seatbelt into seatbelt opening in chair)

Also from delivery:
- Missing 22” wheel inserts

Hoping service can button up the list next week when it goes in.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Frunk does?
Update on what I’ve experienced so far on my Jan 2022 delivered LR X:

- Both FWD need adjusting. Passenger side won’t close without manual hold on screen 50% of the time. Driver side alignment off and rubbing paint in door jamb.
- Passenger Side Dash squeak (occasional)
- Driver Side Dash squeak over rough pavement (hugely annoying on my drive up I-5 from LA to SF today which is the first time I noticed it)
- Driver Side Taillight lense has started to separate from rest of assembly (the one in the fender, not the hatch)
- Dust visible behind instrument panel “glass”
- Trunk catches something (trim?) when opening and makes a snapping noise when opening
- Passenger side middle-row captains chair seatbelt not aligned with opening in seat (hard to connect seatbelt into seatbelt opening in chair)

Also from delivery:
- Missing 22” wheel inserts

Hoping service can button up the list next week when it goes in.
I also have the driver side dashboard squeak over rough pavement. Nothing on the passenger side. Otherwise rattle and squeak free.

I have a lot of condensation in my driver side tail light that is still there after 10 days.

I have an SC appointment on 2/15, will update.

A few minor issues so far with my LR.

I found that the passanger door is more difficult to close, even when closing automatically. I checked the weatherstripping and found it was crooked on one area at the bottom of the door. I tried to straighten it, but it appears very firmly attached. I have scheduled a service appointment to address.

The MCU reboots randomly - the first time was when I first picked up the car and drove about 20 feet. I have also found the the XM Radio icon disappears randomly.

The driver's side FWD has a minor alignment issue.

There is a minor squeak coming somewhere behind the front seats while driving. It will take a bit more effort to locate.
I have the same reboot and SXM icon issues. I am currently working through some troubleshooting efforts with Service on the reboot issue. None of the attempts have worked thus far (format USB drive and remove USB drive).

Not sure if this is related but today I got into the LR after work to find a full factory reset on the OS. All driver profiles, app settings, trip stats, homelink lost. A real pain to set it all back up again and hoping this is a one time deal. We shall see if the reboot issue persists...

I ordered 4/21 for 11/21 delivery. Each month starting in Oct 21, "estimated" delivery date is pushed out a month. Now at April 2022. Notice Plaid X's have been delivered and that many were on speculation because they are being offered for sale at highly marked up prices. Question is what games are taking played at Tesla in terms of Model prioritization and why can't they provide reasonable estimate of delivery date. This is not all chip shortage. At some point, good will turns to ill will and customers have long memories. At some point, competition will provide alternatives and folks will start to bail. $100 reservation fee encourages speculation and is not conducive to a rational market.

I ordered 4/21 for 11/21 delivery. Each month starting in Oct 21, "estimated" delivery date is pushed out a month. Now at April 2022. Notice Plaid X's have been delivered and that many were on speculation because they are being offered for sale at highly marked up prices. Question is what games are taking played at Tesla in terms of Model prioritization and why can't they provide reasonable estimate of delivery date. This is not all chip shortage. At some point, good will turns to ill will and customers have long memories. At some point, competition will provide alternatives and folks will start to bail. $100 reservation fee encourages speculation and is not conducive to a rational market.
I see you are new. Not sure if you have started to wade through the now 1100 pages of posts over in the refresh Model X waiting room. You are most certainly not alone.

I agree with everything you have said. I have been following along on the forum for months, and I do not see any rhyme or reason as to how Tesla prioritizes their orders. I consider myself very fortunate. I ordered a LR in May, 2021. I ordered a Plaid in August after seeing how the Model S Plaid deliveries were being heavily prioritized.

I took delivery of the Plaid at the end of January. There are many Plaid orders on the forum older than mine still without cars. I really wanted the LR, so I decided to keep the order, thinking it would be many months before there was any action on the order.

About a week ago, I got an EDD range, and today got a VIN and invitation to schedule a delivery date 2/21-2/23. There are many, MANY people on the forum with older LR orders and no sign of a car. To make a long story short, I decided to cancel the LR order and keep the Plaid.

So, while I feel I have received very fair treatment from Tesla, I have seen many other people that have been jerked around in countless ways. I just don’t see any good reason as to why some people have received good treatment in spite of the huge supply chain challenges, and why some people have been treated so poorly. I hope you get your car soon.

• Informative
Reactions: JAG and studioloft
I have the same reboot and SXM icon issues. I am currently working through some troubleshooting efforts with Service on the reboot issue. None of the attempts have worked thus far (format USB drive and remove USB drive).

Not sure if this is related but today I got into the LR after work to find a full factory reset on the OS. All driver profiles, app settings, trip stats, homelink lost. A real pain to set it all back up again and hoping this is a one time deal. We shall see if the reboot issue persists...
Turns out Service pushed through the factory reset. They also asked me to 'forget my device' for my phone and reconnect without syncing contacts. Neither of these resolved the reboot issue.

According to Service there may be a patch in development with Engineering (v2022.8) to resolve the issue...

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
I updated the spreadsheet as it already has the front bumper dent, paint chips, scratches and issues found at delivery on 2/4/22 but added a new one . . .
The front windshield now has a crack! The car was only driven on 2/4, 2/5 & 2/8. On 2/10 upon pulling it out of the garage the windshield crack was noticed.
It’s been added to the service appointment already scheduled on 2/22/22.

UGH

Reactions: JAG
I updated the spreadsheet as it already has the front bumper dent, paint chips, scratches and issues found at delivery on 2/4/22 but added a new one . . .
The front windshield now has a crack! The car was only driven on 2/4, 2/5 & 2/8. On 2/10 upon pulling it out of the garage the windshield crack was noticed.
It’s been added to the service appointment already scheduled on 2/22/22.

UGH
It might be worth a trip to the SC to have someone look at your windshield, rather than just wait. The SCs are known to push back on windshield cracks and not approve warranty. If there is any possibility it was caused by something hitting the windshield, it is on you ~$1,600. I am on my third (replaced twice). First one covered by warranty, second one I had to pay, because they found a tiny chip along the crack line, therefore external damage was ruled the cause.

Reactions: FLScubaLife