Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might be worth a trip to the SC to have someone look at your windshield, rather than just wait. The SCs are known to push back on windshield cracks and not approve warranty. If there is any possibility it was caused by something hitting the windshield, it is on you ~$1,600. I am on my third (replaced twice). First one covered by warranty, second one I had to pay, because they found a tiny chip along the crack line, therefore external damage was ruled the cause.
The crack is on the inside of the windshield. I uploaded pics to the app for the service appointment yesterday. No external windshield issues at all. You think they’ll still try to get out of warranty coverage?

Attachments

• 0C864987-EA1A-4C23-B967-78855EA92AA6.jpeg
    0C864987-EA1A-4C23-B967-78855EA92AA6.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 8ED301A8-D88C-4F6C-BBC5-7F8DD9B4F6E5.jpeg
    8ED301A8-D88C-4F6C-BBC5-7F8DD9B4F6E5.jpeg
    456.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Informative
Reactions: JAG and croman
I'm not necessarily impatient about getting a luxury car, but I'm curious if anyone thinks there's a perverse incentive to deliver a car ordered 1 year ago at a price $20K lower than what they sell the car for today. I guess they can raise the price whenever they want on my contract. My assumption is that they don't have enough cars to go around to do that part with any type of efficiency.

The crack is on the inside of the windshield. I uploaded pics to the app for the service appointment yesterday. No external windshield issues at all. You think they’ll still try to get out of warranty coverage?
I can't tell from the pix you sent. They do carefully look at the windshield to determine cause. Cracks like this seem to propagate and get much worse quickly. If you could get them to at least take a look at it and make a judgment, even if they cannot schedule an immediate replacement. My local service center keeps X windshields in stock, as they break quite frequently.

I'm not necessarily impatient about getting a luxury car, but I'm curious if anyone thinks there's a perverse incentive to deliver a car ordered 1 year ago at a price $20K lower than what they sell the car for today. I guess they can raise the price whenever they want on my contract. My assumption is that they don't have enough cars to go around to do that part with any type of efficiency.
My friend had a Model S long range on order for 79k. And there were many who had ordered their model S long range after him for a much higher price get theirs earlier than him. And we’re both in the Bay Area near the factory. So I suspect it’s quite easy for Tesla to prioritize higher margin vehicles. I myself ordered a plaid X last summer about 6 months ago and am taking (hopefully) delivery tomorrow. There are many people who ordered way before me still waiting.

Indeed that’s quite a possibility as my pre price increase Feb 8 order today went from a Feb 21-March 4 delivery window to just plain APRIL! I really don’t care as now I have my used 2018 Model X 75D for however long it takes and maybe they will add new features and improve build quality too. Others of you I hope will get your X sooner to get you out of your sadness and misery!

They should build and deliver the CUSTOMER cars in the order that they were ordered by, not the order price of the car. STOCKHOLDERS would prefer only new price orders to be filled as they have higher margin.

Eventually, once Giga Texas and Berlin catch up on the backlog Customer Satisfaction will begin to have an impact. Regular customers switching to an EV will not be as forgiving as Fanboys have become. The idea of taking delivery then having to have all the issues from delivery (paint, gaps, interior issue) be addressed in a few weeks during a service call has been normalized by by fanboys. Regular customers will not tolerate a poor customer experience. This seems to be a known fact at most companies besides Tesla.

I have been waiting for my 2020 order Model X Long Range with white exterior, black interior, 20” wheels and NO FSD. I ordered before the refresh announcement yet since they began production in the fall of 2021 and are delivering cars, no one at Tesla can tell me when my order will be filled.
Had I not already purchased Tesla Solar and Powrwalls plus had a wall connector installed, I would have canceled my Model X order months ago and ordered a Rivian RS1.

Reactions: JAG and DelPhonic1
Is anyone else experiencing a vibration sound/feeling in their plaid X at the beginning of every drive? Air compressor powering up or maybe heat pumps? It lasts for about 30 seconds or so then goes away.. or is something wrong with mine?

They should build and deliver the CUSTOMER cars in the order that they were ordered by, not the order price of the car. STOCKHOLDERS would prefer only new price orders to be filled as they have higher margin.

Eventually, once Giga Texas and Berlin catch up on the backlog Customer Satisfaction will begin to have an impact. Regular customers switching to an EV will not be as forgiving as Fanboys have become. The idea of taking delivery then having to have all the issues from delivery (paint, gaps, interior issue) be addressed in a few weeks during a service call has been normalized by by fanboys. Regular customers will not tolerate a poor customer experience. This seems to be a known fact at most companies besides Tesla.

I have been waiting for my 2020 order Model X Long Range with white exterior, black interior, 20” wheels and NO FSD. I ordered before the refresh announcement yet since they began production in the fall of 2021 and are delivering cars, no one at Tesla can tell me when my order will be filled.
Had I not already purchased Tesla Solar and Powrwalls plus had a wall connector installed, I would have canceled my Model X order months ago and ordered a Rivian RS1.
What is your Reservation Number, RN**** ?

Is anyone else experiencing a vibration sound/feeling in their plaid X at the beginning of every drive? Air compressor powering up or maybe heat pumps? It lasts for about 30 seconds or so then goes away.. or is something wrong with mine?
I have this too. At first I thought it was the tires rumbling on rough pavement, but it does seem to happen on all surfaces right after starting the car so I assume it's the air compressor filling up the air tank.

Reactions: Cutch26
Nope, definitely from the upper seat area. You can even use your hands when not sitting in the seat and make it creak by pushing it. It almost seems to be in the area where the speakers/mics for the noise canceling hardware may be.
Just to follow up on my previous thread, I had the mobile service guy come out and look at the driver's seat creaking and center console issues. They are just going to order a new driver's seat and entire center console as they don't think they'd be able to take the seat apart to figure out what's causing the creaking. They pushed out the replacement appointment to March 16th so I'll have to live with the creaking for another month.

has anyone else noticed a line across the trunk door about an inch before the bottom edge? It’s only noticeable in sun light and at angles. I looked at another plaid MX (white) and it also had it. The delivery attendant said to have it checked but we not saw it on another X. Again very hard to see unless I’m sunlight and at particular angles off to the side.

Attachments

• 03531B7A-0B88-4294-9C61-D9006B3A856E.jpeg
    03531B7A-0B88-4294-9C61-D9006B3A856E.jpeg
    488.6 KB · Views: 122
Mine is going in on Friday for some post-delivery touch up items. Car is 99% perfect.

SC is (hopefully) going to address the following:
- Driver door alignment off. Because this door is slightly off, drivers side FWD off a bit. No issues on passenger side.
- rear passenger FWD trim loose
- interior second row seat cover loose
- stitching on instrument cluster fraying

D14438C7-BBAE-40EB-88F5-DA61147D2552.jpeg
F7448790-CF8F-4AB4-B54F-435650F24BFE.jpeg
EADCBFA3-5318-4978-BCB9-DBA119AD5EBC.jpeg
2E0C5014-836C-4AE7-9696-41F465DB3083.jpeg
A55D5211-4AFA-4062-AAF3-4DF1EBB29DD1.jpeg
B7DEB4E6-C3B4-4E14-A378-2F97CED037C9.jpeg

Just to follow up on my previous thread, I had the mobile service guy come out and look at the driver's seat creaking and center console issues. They are just going to order a new driver's seat and entire center console as they don't think they'd be able to take the seat apart to figure out what's causing the creaking. They pushed out the replacement appointment to March 16th so I'll have to live with the creaking for another month.
I did read that one new owner stated that the back cover of the front seats was loose. Creaking could be coming from plastic on upholstery..

I did read that one new owner stated that the back cover of the front seats was loose. Creaking could be coming from plastic on upholstery..
The mobile service guy thought that too and tried to remove (unsuccessfully) the back cover. He also tried to make sure it was banged in as tightly as possible. This didn't fix the creaking at all. It really seems like it is something inside to upper portion of the seat.

Does it do it if you preheat the car prior to driving? That might tell us if it's the heat pump since it would have run for a while before driving.

Mine is going in on Friday for some post-delivery touch up items. Car is 99% perfect.

SC is (hopefully) going to address the following:
- Driver door alignment off. Because this door is slightly off, drivers side FWD off a bit. No issues on passenger side.
- rear passenger FWD trim loose
- interior second row seat cover loose
- stitching on instrument cluster fraying

View attachment 768687View attachment 768688View attachment 768689View attachment 768690

When I went to pick up my car, it had the misaligned door issue on driver's side also. The driver's door is higher than the trim in front of the mirror just like your photo. My Driver's FWD also was low near the rear hatch, so it was misaligned near the wheel arch and roof. Does anyone know how long it takes to realign these things?

The center console cover did not operate smoothly. It kind of "sputtered" as it tried to close. There's also a wear mark in the center of the cubby, like a track is rubbing against the center. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of this. I asked the SC to fix this before I take delivery. Does anyone else's refresh have a wear mark in the center of the sliding door? It seems strange to have this on a brand new car.

Last edited: