Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
April 22 produced plaid X delivered. My observations:

1. the drivers seat leather is puckered at the top. I normally don't care about stuff like that, and normally wouldn't notice but people on here complain about it a lot, and now it bugs me :(
2. during the delivery the pax FWD door wouldn't fully close, or fully open unless you hold down on the screen to force close for about 40% of the time. Now after the update it seems totally fine, but they will still check it out.
3. Noticing a slight vibration in the steering wheel at about 60+mph and worse at about 70. Maybe just a tire balance issue.
4. can't get the key fobs to register on the wireless charging

Otherwise the paint and interior and trim alignment and microphone and speakers all seemed perfect (whereas all these items had some issues with the model s plaid last year).

My dad got on the road this morning in his new X to drive from Oregon to Ohio, he just supercharged, is in the middle of Idaho, and his X is going completely bonkers. GPS location is all over the place, he's getting dozens of warnings in the UI while driving from low tire pressure warnings to pull over immediately, and the car isn't making a cellular connection. Having him call roadside assistance it's a complete mess.

Has anybody experienced these kinds of issues with their refreshed X?

Here's the original post about his GPS issues:

My dad got on the road this morning in his new X to drive from Oregon to Ohio, he just supercharged, is in the middle of Idaho, and his X is going completely bonkers. GPS location is all over the place, he's getting dozens of warnings in the UI while driving from low tire pressure warnings to pull over immediately, and the car isn't making a cellular connection. Having him call roadside assistance it's a complete mess.

Has anybody experienced these kinds of issues with their refreshed X?

Here's the original post about his GPS issues:
There are a few, some of which are discussed in this, somewhat over the top, thread: Refreshed Tesla Model X issues: frozen camera, brake fault, high voltage system fault, etc.

It appears that the errors can be cleared by restarting the car, and people are reporting that Tesla is replacing the car computer to resolve the issue.

Reactions: fpb600
passenger window doesn't go up or down automatically without holding the button (other windows all work fine) - anybody else have this issue with 1 of the windows?
That usually means that it needs recalibrated. i.e hold the button in each position for a few seconds after it has reached the fully open/closed position. (I think it is like 10 seconds but I don't recall. I thought it was in the manual but couldn't find it on a quick search of the current manual.)

That usually means that it needs recalibrated. i.e hold the button in each position for a few seconds after it has reached the fully open/closed position. (I think it is like 10 seconds but I don't recall. I thought it was in the manual but couldn't find it on a quick search of the current manual.)
thanks i tried these steps from the Y manual and it worked!

Capture.JPG

"Steering assist reduced" (UI_a020) error message.

I started receiving the above error message just after I updated to 2022.12.1 two weeks ago. I immediately scheduled a service appointment - in which there was a 30-day wait for the next available appointment. The error msg would pop up periodically even after the last few software updates and numerous full power-off reboots, but the power steering continued to operate.

When driving the vehicle today, the error msg popped back up again, but unlike the previous occurrences, the vehicle lost all power steering. I am having the vehicle towed to the local SC for (immediate?) service.

If I got something as serious as power steering failure, I'd just pull over and have the car towed to the service center. No need to wait a month and they won't make you wait if you tow it in because every day that the power steering is not functioning correctly is a day that you can't drive it and a day towards the magnuson moss 30 day odometer.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
3. Noticing a slight vibration in the steering wheel at about 60+mph and worse at about 70. Maybe just a tire balance issue.

Have you by any chance acceleration hard from a stop or a slow speed on anything other than the lowest suspension setting? If so, you may have warped the CV ball channels in the joint or bent the half shaft just a little which will cause continual vibration worse within range and the sympathetic speed depending on the level of warpage/bendage.

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
Have you by any chance acceleration hard from a stop or a slow speed on anything other than the lowest suspension setting? If so, you may have warped the CV ball channels in the joint or bent the half shaft just a little which will cause continual vibration worse within range and the sympathetic speed depending on the level of warpage/bendage.
Are refreshed Plaid X ever subject to anything like the old "jackshaft" issues of the original S & X's?? Sounds like you're saying they are?

Expecting mine in a couple weeks...

Are refreshed Plaid X ever subject to anything like the old "jackshaft" issues of the original S & X's?? Sounds like you're saying they are?

Expecting mine in a couple weeks...

This is still a bit of a mystery. We've had two reports from LR refresh X's that claim they have the problem and those aren't even Plaids. The part numbers for the half shafts are identical to Raven, so from that standpoint, they haven't revised or replaced the defective design. I haven't experienced it yet in my Plaid X and I'm very familiar with the issue as I had my half shafts replaced 4 times in my P85DL for the same problem.

1. My steering vibration :The Model X has low setting and I leave it there for all driving. I put it in very low a few times and seems to come back to Low. I haven't done a full launch from a stop at all, but have done some spirited highway testing but it would have been from at least 40 or so. The vibration is very very slight and oddly sometimes hard to reproduce I could see it vibrating just barely, and took a phone videoe of it, and couldn't even tell on the video, very odd. And now it seems worse at about 70-80.

2. No bass. With my model S Plaid I had a similar issue: no sub, no bass, no rear speakers, and the microphones didn't work. A mobile tech fiddled with some connections and then it all worked.

Any update on this?

My 1 week old MXP started doing this today.

Not the charger, as it opens the door on my MY every time.

My door opens from app. Opens from touchscreen. Opens when manually pressed. Just won’t open from pushing button on charging wand.

I tried pointing wand at just about every area of the side of the car, including trunk window. Even opened trunk and tried pointing to back of charging port.

I also reset car as well as a complete power down and restart.

Anyone else seen this?
Yes mine just started doing this after working fine with the wand for a month. Any updates on a fix or software update?

This is still a bit of a mystery. We've had two reports from LR refresh X's that claim they have the problem and those aren't even Plaids. The part numbers for the half shafts are identical to Raven, so from that standpoint, they haven't revised or replaced the defective design. I haven't experienced it yet in my Plaid X and I'm very familiar with the issue as I had my half shafts replaced 4 times in my P85DL for the same problem.
But I believe they did redesign the suspension in the Refresh cars? They could (hopefully) have adjusted the geometry to decrease the forces that caused the failures.

Reactions: croman