Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
edit: added pics.

ok, so i have a huge list of issues with mine...have a service appointment july 5th, hopefully they don't **** up the car more.

one thing I noticed is that the plastic trim under the hood has holes that lines up with holes in the steel frame, but there are no clips holding then together? is this normal for tesla? when i picked it up and pointed it out to the SA he told me it's normal and makes sevicing it easier. This is my first tesla so I'm not sure if that's normal.

Also the center screen gets really hot as well. Not sure if it's just because it's the summer or what. Seems to be working though. I put a tempered glass protector on it, should I remove that?

anyway here's a list of issues and some pics of them:

1. Paint chip on trunk passenger side pillar
2. Plastic cover under trunk passenger side pillar is protruding and does not fit correctly
3. Driver door small window, rubber seal inside is not aligned properly
4. A-pillar panel gap with fender panel (driver and passenger side)
5. Passenger side A-pillar does not line up with hood
6. Front hood is raised too high on passenger side
7. Passenger side fender and front bumper alignment is uneven, the fender protrudes out so
they’re not on the same surface
8. Driver side falcon wing door black trim panel (window frame) is protruding out and uneven
9. Driver side falcon wing door panel has black specks within the paint layer.
10. Passenger door black plastic is not fitted properly
11. Passenger side falcon wing door gap between interior trim and car roof center beam. Inside
parts are visible
12. Squeaky and rattling noise from passenger chair and door when driving on highway.
13. Water/condensation on rear screen when rear AC is turned on
IMG_20220618_225109.jpgIMG_20220618_225314.jpgIMG_20220618_225640.jpgIMG_20220618_235152.jpgIMG_20220618_235159.jpgIMG_20220620_012255.jpgIMG_20220613_194346.jpgIMG_20220619_183322.jpg
IMG_20220618_225046.jpg

Last edited:
I took delivery of my MX LR today, seems I am lucky in that I see no issues (so far!) -- I went through the checklist and all seems well.

That said, I'm missing the 14-50 NEMA adapter from the mobile charger, not sure if they stopped including it? I ordered the car a long while ago so figured this would be a part of it.
Your guess is correct. They stopped including it. The Delivery guy recommended we keep the one from our previous X.

I took delivery of my MX LR today, seems I am lucky in that I see no issues (so far!) -- I went through the checklist and all seems well.

That said, I'm missing the 14-50 NEMA adapter from the mobile charger, not sure if they stopped including it? I ordered the car a long while ago so figured this would be a part of it.
I don’t think the 14-50 adapter has been included for a long time (if ever?).
At least it’s pretty inexpensive.

Reactions: ironwill96
I am going to address the scratches, overspray and dings myself (scared to bring it back for service) but I am in shock how HORRIBLE the experience was for a $140k + car. I was 50/50 rejecting the car / taking delivery. That being said, the car is a pleasure to drive, very different and pleasing in driving experience. Looking forward for long EV trips this summer.

Has anyone had any success in return/refund of Tesla vehicles via legal channels?
Sorry to hear about this. You probably should have rejected the car. At this point it's yours. So be as pleasant as you can when dealing with your SC (in my experience they do want to help) and try to get it all sorted. May want to look up any lemon law protections in your state and keep detailed notes including dates and times of when it went into and out of service, who you spoke to, copies of your correspondence, etc. You might also want to opt out of forced arbitration in the case tha tyou do need to take them to court.
Hmmm. Just saw something similar on my 2017. Car was plugged in and already fully charged for the evening. Walked out to car and opened car door with AC and infotainment system coming on as expected. A moment later the wall charger indicated current flow; however, car charge ring which was green, was not pulsating and my app was not showing that I was charging car.

Note, I can't test the problem of it drawing current even if it's not time yet to charge (pre-schedule). At this location, we charge as soon as we plug in and it was already done for today.
Tesla have been drawing from shore power since 2016-ish. The feature was created because back in the day when SCs were sparse, you didn't want the car discharging while you were loading up the family, pre-conditioning the cabin (especially if it was winter), etc.

The TESLA letters will flash if the car is drawing 1A or 32A. Even with HVAC off, it takes some juice to run the computers, lights, doors, etc.

It should show the draw on the driver's screen in the form of X/32A where X will be 1 or 2.
I often wonder how many buyers have a good experience with no problems. Obviously a thread like this is to talk about issues one is experiencing and not necessarily "no issue" reports, but it's encouraging to hear that someone got a car with no problems.

This X will be my second Tesla and my S had a bumpy start but once the issues were resolved it has been a splendid car. The best I have ever owned and I have had some very good cars.

What percentage of buyers have issues overall, I wonder?
Well, Tesla ranks dead last in the JD Power quality survey with 250 reported defects per 100 cars. I think @Incomingplaid's reference to the movie Gung Ho is apropos. Cars seem to be either great or basket cases - seems to depend on what was happening on the line that day or some transport mishap. Mine was great despite being an EOQ car. The PRND strip on the console was scratched on the backside so you could still see half of the N when it wasn't illuminated. When my car was in service for that, they fixed a very minor right FWD alignment. I didn't even put it on my service request as I was nervous about them making it worse. When I got there I asked them to look at it and give me their opinion on whether they would try to fix it or just live with it. Luckily Tulsa is a small SC and having owned a Roadster I am known there. The service advisor called the lead tech over for his opinion. Shockingly it was fixed not by moving the FWD (this made me happy as it works perfectly with no seal or paint rubbing). Instead they lowered the hatch a little and the front passenger door a little and now everything lines up.

All that to say, unless you desperately need a car right then, do not be afraid to reject a car that has issues. You will be paying a crazy amount of money and living with the car for a long time. You should love it.

ack tesla service said the computer replacement and body panel adjustments require the service center and can’t be done mobile. I’m having them see if it still even needs to be done. I’m not driving 2.5 hours each way and then being stuck in Charlotte for potentially days to get work done.

Really need a LOT more service centers if they can’t do most things with mobile service. There has to be 100s of teslas in Greenville SC area now so it’s not like we are a tiny market.
An awesome tech named Anthony is headed to Charlotte....highly recommend. Owns a MX.

Reactions: ironwill96
Tesla have been drawing from shore power since 2016-ish. The feature was created because back in the day when SCs were sparse, you didn't want the car discharging while you were loading up the family, pre-conditioning the cabin (especially if it was winter), etc.

The TESLA letters will flash if the car is drawing 1A or 32A. Even with HVAC off, it takes some juice to run the computers, lights, doors, etc.

It should show the draw on the driver's screen in the form of X/32A where X will be 1 or 2.
Went back and looked - You are 100% correct in terms of the 2017 X. If you want to avoid drawing ANY power during peak periods, you have to unplug the car from the wall. Setting a schedule to avoid peak periods does not stop the car from supplying operating power (HVAC, doors, etc...) from the charger.

• Informative
Reactions: strider
I will be picking up my model X Plaid in the next few days and wanted to read the forums on what to look out for before I get it. I already have a model S plaid now and we sold our model Y plaid last week to make room in the garage. We got our VIN on Friday and paid for the car yesterday. Driving it directly to have it wrapped in a chalk white gloss wrap and give it a tint. I already picked up all of the accessories that I thought were a must and they arrive soon.

Does it sound like we are excited?

This is my first post in the issues thread, so forgive me if this has already been discussed! I spent some time searching and didn't see anything, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Long story, but I had orders on two MXP's. I took delivery on the first one and decided I wanted the second one (different color). Sold the first and just took delivery on the second. On the first one, the auto present doors worked nearly perfectly with the phone key. Unfortunately, on the second car, the phone key is hit or miss in terms of whether or not the driver door automatically opens.

I don't know if the issue is due to specifically to the phone key or something else. I have not had the car long enough to test whether or not it is also flakey with the key fob. I will plan to do that and watch, but I am wondering if anyone else had issues with the phone key's ability to invoke the door auto present? I am not sure if this warrants a service call, or if it falls into the "it's common" category?

This is my first post in the issues thread, so forgive me if this has already been discussed! I spent some time searching and didn't see anything, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Long story, but I had orders on two MXP's. I took delivery on the first one and decided I wanted the second one (different color). Sold the first and just took delivery on the second. On the first one, the auto present doors worked nearly perfectly with the phone key. Unfortunately, on the second car, the phone key is hit or miss in terms of whether or not the driver door automatically opens.

I don't know if the issue is due to specifically to the phone key or something else. I have not had the car long enough to test whether or not it is also flakey with the key fob. I will plan to do that and watch, but I am wondering if anyone else had issues with the phone key's ability to invoke the door auto present? I am not sure if this warrants a service call, or if it falls into the "it's common" category?
Common I think. It’s always been the case that the fob works much faster for auto presenting.

Honestly I ended up turning off auto present because it was annoying every time I walked by the car in the garage with my phone in my pocket to carry out trash or go outside with the kids.

When I did have it turned on the phone key would be inconsistent for auto presenting, I think sometimes the car is in a deeper sleep than other times and it has to wake up before it sees the Bluetooth.

Reactions: jbrowdy
Another issue: my Homelink works, but it won't automatically open or close the garage door. This feature worked fine on my previous Tesla's, but it does not seem to work on my brand new MX Plaid.

I am wondering if it could have something to do with navigation? I noticed the other day that when I was driving down my street, the map suggested I was in an odd area. If navigation is off a bit, this could possibly affect the automatic garage door if the commands are based on GPS location?

If my theory is correct, how the heck do I recalibrate navigation?

I have an ongoing issue with my GPS drifting that has effectively rendered my navigation, autopilot, etc., completely useless. I've googled the issue and seems other Tesla owners have had similar issues over the years, but no real solution in sight. I've attempted to reset the car by holding the two buttons on my steering wheel down, and 'powered off' the car using the service menu. Nada.

Pictures of the issue below, but any idea what is going on and more important, how to fix?

View attachment 780569 View attachment 780570
View attachment 780571 View attachment 780572

This issue is driving me nuts. I just got the car Feb 14th. The issue seems to have started after I had tint installed at OCDetailing, not sure if that's just a coincidence or if a signal is getting blocked, or something was damaged in installation?
Did you happen to find a solution to this? I may have a similar issue. I have only had the car a few days, but I noticed that while driving on my street, navigation showed my car as being off my street - kind of like what you are showing in these images.

I would expect it to be an antenna issue - since it's working some of the time. The MX GPS antenna, from what I can tell, is located under the upper drivers-side glass of the rear trunk. Do you know what type of tint that was applied to your windows? Some tints can block cellphone and GPS signals - but I would not think that tint would have been applied to the glass on the upper section of the trunk as it is hidden behind the trunk trim.

I would guess that during the tint installation that the inside trim pieces, that surround the trunk glass, were removed, and that the GPS antenna, which looks like a small square puck, may have been dislodged such that it no longer is positioned correctly?

I expect that the Tesla navigation system can still determine the vehicles position if the GPS signal is lost (similar to when driving through a tunnel or in an underground garage), but the position will "drift" (become less accurate) the longer the system is without a GPS signal, and probably even quicker if the vehicle is changing directions (turning). This is probably what you are noticing with your system - it starts with an accurate GPS position, but as you drive, it displayed position gets further away (drift) for the actual position.

Great to see that you finally received your MX!
I think my GPS is drifting and I have not made any modifications to my vehicle. Do you have any recommendations on troubleshooting this outside of a service center appointment?

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
I think my GPS is drifting and I have not made any modifications to my vehicle. Do you have any recommendations on troubleshooting this outside of a service center appointment?
Consider your location when it fails. If you are in a downtown urban canyon, it is not uncommon to lose accuracy (drifting). If your GPS is consistently unreliable even in suburban/rural environs, a service center appointment is the solution.

I noticed my GPS hasn’t been centered on the road ever since I got it. I thought it would improve over time but now that you mention the problem I notice my maps are still showing the car location as to the side of the road instead of in the road. I will bring this up at my service appt.

• Informative
Reactions: jbrowdy
Consider your location when it fails. If you are in a downtown urban canyon, it is not uncommon to lose accuracy (drifting). If your GPS is consistently unreliable even in suburban/rural environs, a service center appointment is the solution.
It's on my street near my home. Have never had this issue in other Tesla's. Yep, made a service appointment. Unfortunately, it's in a month!