Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to the SC today to check up on the car and saw the same tow guy who recognized me and waved, towing in a brand new Y that’s also completely dead. So apparently whatever they’re supposedly doing with the 12V, the problem is not solved and might be even worse now

Went to the SC today to check up on the car and saw the same tow guy who recognized me and waved, towing in a brand new Y that’s also completely dead. So apparently whatever they’re supposedly doing with the 12V, the problem is not solved and might be even worse now
I can only say that I have confidence Tesla will make things right and they will get to the bottom of the issue.

In no way would I detract from your chagrin and disappointment, but I would encourage you that Tesla has THE most motivated engineers in the world working constantly on solving Tesla issues.

Here’s hoping yours is doing better soon! 🤗

Reactions: Tezlagirl
Sucks that it happened. I have a non Tesla that's been back to the dealership for repair of the SAME issue three times and that car is you guessed it, 3 months old. So I know it sucks. But I just want to point out that even if 2,000 brand new Teslas had issues with the low voltage battery (which I have no evidence to suggest that there's that many having issues), that's less than 1% of the vehicles that were delivered this last quarter. Just pointing out that it might not be "even worse now". Low voltage battery failure is very common in all vehicles. What IS interesting (to me at least) is these failure are of the new lithium low voltage. Could be ramp up quality problems.

Sucks that it happened. I have a non Tesla that's been back to the dealership for repair of the SAME issue three times and that car is you guessed it, 3 months old. So I know it sucks. But I just want to point out that even if 2,000 brand new Teslas had issues with the low voltage battery, that's less than 1% of the vehicles that was delivered this last quarter. Just pointing out that it might not be "even worse now". Low voltage batteries failure is very common in even ICE cars. What IS interesting (to me at least) is these failure are of the new lithium low voltage. Could be ramp up quality problems.
Right
It could be a host of problems from start to finish and that has got to be a cool job doing basically detective work on the whole car + production process (if you like that sort of stuff), to find and fix the issue.

Edit: systemic issue

Model x LR (Toronto Canada). 7 seater.

Lots of issues with the 2nd and 3rd row seats!
- both 3rd row seats will not latch in upright position
- single 2nd row seat cannot move forward or back with manual latch. Also does not slide forward when button depressed for quick access. This is a repeat issue that was previously repaired. Not sure why it’s back :(
- clicking noise when turning yoke at low speeds but this looks like the skid plate or bash plate issue (needs retorquing)

I love the car and I’m a fan, after all, I am Teslagirl. But the concern is mainly a reliability issue; as I mentioned before, my 3 month old 2018 M3 did the same thing and now the new X. Luckily both times it happened, I was at home but it worries me that the next time, I might be stranded somewhere. My friend’s brand new Y just died also, I just learned.
And regarding the seats, my middle row 60 part is also very difficult to adjust.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Tesla still has my MXP that I took delivery of April 7th. I've taken no trips in it. Have less than 1000 miles (all due to driving to and from the service center twice). They asked me to store it while I was out of the country for two weeks and return it when I got back so they could continue.

Much of the car has been repainted 4 or 5 times and they're still repainting due to quality control issues. My rear hatch was repainted for no apparent reason. When I showed up to pick up the car to store it for 2 weeks, the rear badges were missing. SA said it was repainted but did not know why.

The front right a-pillar was repainted due to a factory defect but they did not paint the windshield side so it's all primered and oversprayed with almost no base coat and zero clear coat.

The rear bumper was also repaired and has massive monogramming from an aggressive rotary leveling. A third party looked at the rear bumper before I brought it back for them to continue and said it looked like it was a previous repair that was shrinking under the paint.

Picked my MXP up yesterday. Amazingly it appears they fixed just about everything including paint and FWD alignment issues. They replaced my rear bumper and rear spoiler entirely and again repainted the liftgate which looks great this time. They also repainted the right rear quarter panel after it was scratched from the quarter glass replacement. I can't tell if they blended the quarter to the FWD. The paint looks like it matches so either they blended within the panel leaving original quarter panel paint near the fwd or they blended and re-cleared the right FWD. The right A-pillar was repainted again and looks good this time.

The FWD alignment is nearly perfect and they replaced the passenger side top FWD glass since the seal had been pretty much destroyed compressed against the spine when open. The top FWD frame has been re-aligned so that the seal doesn't strike the spine glass any more.

It's been nearly 100 days since I took delivery. If it had been like it is now when I first picked it up, I would have been pretty happy with it. It's still not Lexus perfect in exterior fit and finish but it's good now for Tesla.

I still have the issue of it pulling to the left during acceleration despite the now corrected alignment. I'm pretty sure now that it's either a suspension bushing torqued at the wrong height, not torque at all, or a ride height calibration issue with opposite corners being equally too height pushing up the other opposite corners as to hide asymmetry. To test that last theory, I'd need to know the vehicle weight at all 4 wheels.

Picked my MXP up yesterday. Amazingly it appears they fixed just about everything including paint and FWD alignment issues. They replaced my rear bumper and rear spoiler entirely and again repainted the liftgate which looks great this time. They also repainted the right rear quarter panel after it was scratched from the quarter glass replacement. I can't tell if they blended the quarter to the FWD. The paint looks like it matches so either they blended within the panel leaving original quarter panel paint near the fwd or they blended and re-cleared the right FWD. The right A-pillar was repainted again and looks good this time.

The FWD alignment is nearly perfect and they replaced the passenger side top FWD glass since the seal had been pretty much destroyed compressed against the spine when open. The top FWD frame has been re-aligned so that the seal doesn't strike the spine glass any more.

It's been nearly 100 days since I took delivery. If it had been like it is now when I first picked it up, I would have been pretty happy with it. It's still not Lexus perfect in exterior fit and finish but it's good now for Tesla.

I still have the issue of it pulling to the left during acceleration despite the now corrected alignment. I'm pretty sure now that it's either a suspension bushing torqued at the wrong height, not torque at all, or a ride height calibration issue with opposite corners being equally too height pushing up the other opposite corners as to hide asymmetry. To test that last theory, I'd need to know the vehicle weight at all 4 wheels.
Your posts make me fearful I'm at the beginning of what will be a long journey getting paint issues fixed. I have a paint bubble in the seam of the rear liftgate, under the spoiler. I'm excited to see how they fix that. This is in addition to the missing door trims, dents, scratches, tears, etc.

I dropped the car off on Monday and it says it's going to be ready on Thursday. I'm horribly doubtful.

Reactions: aerodyne
Your posts make me fearful I'm at the beginning of what will be a long journey getting paint issues fixed. I have a paint bubble in the seam of the rear liftgate, under the spoiler. I'm excited to see how they fix that. This is in addition to the missing door trims, dents, scratches, tears, etc.

I dropped the car off on Monday and it says it's going to be ready on Thursday. I'm horribly doubtful.

During the first 5 weeks they had it, it visited multiple third party body shops. During the second visit, which lasted two weeks, I could see through Teslafi back at the factory a few miles north of the service center where it moved around from building to building. There was one night where the doors were opening and closing until about 3 am.

Reactions: msjodilynn1
got 2022.16.2 the other day and now the charge port door won't open again after pressing the charge cable button (didn't work upon delivery, worked for last few weeks before software update, now doesn't work again) :eek:
Now this is strange. Have had intermittent forms with the Charge door for last 2 months. One of the last 2 updates have seemed to resolve it. It's a small thing but so satisfying to press the button and see that door open for you.

During the first 5 weeks they had it, it visited multiple third party body shops. During the second visit, which lasted two weeks, I could see through Teslafi back at the factory a few miles north of the service center where it moved around from building to building. There was one night where the doors were opening and closing until about 3 am.
I just got an update today that they are waiting on parts. No ETA. I asked to go inspect the new paint to stay ahead of the potential rework. Thankfully I'm only 10 minutes from the Tesla center.

I've had a minor issue I've been tracking since delivery day (31 March 2022). Basically the climate control system was all fubared when I picked the car up at delivery. It was blowing cold air out the vents when it was 50F outside and was throwing an error on the HVAC control screen (something like "Climate system failure"). I noted this for fixing in my delivery issues. The first post-delivery software update, a few days later, magically seemed to make everything work (at least the air temperature was halfway reasonable and no more system failures).

The service center fixed up all the various minor issues I had with door alignment, random bits of fabric sticking out between panels, etc. but they kept the climate control issue open for a lack of parts. I mentioned it seemed to be doing much better but they wanted to replace some temperature sensor(s) in the HVAC system. I got the car back and I've been driving it the past few months. It doesn't quite regulate cabin temperature as well as my Model S but I'm not sure what the correct expectation should be.

Anyway we've gone a few rounds now of rescheduling the service appointment for lack of parts...I'll get a text from the service advisor a few days before the appointment saying they don't have the parts and need to reschedule, so we kick the can down the road a month or so, lather, rinse, repeat.

This doesn't seem like a hugely pressing issue, and I'm glad my service advisor didn't just stamp "within spec" on it, but it's mildly annoying we can't get it all fixed up.

Anyone else have this problem or understand it?

Cheers,

Bruce.

So the LR delivery of June 25 continues. Brought car in today for FWD adjustment due to rubbing on rear quarter panel molding. This was listed at delivery. Today they decide the rear quarter panel and trim was not installed right, so new glass/trim assembly ordered. When parts arrive then they will adjust the door. This could have done at delivery but they were too busy to look at it.

The covering under the rear screen cupholder that doesn't stay up (a few of us have this problem), determined that some clips were missing and only way to get them was to order new bottom cover. At home, as I removed some items from the rear today, I found a red clip under a seat. Cover needs two, I found one, stuck it on one of the posts, and for now, managed to get the cover to stay snug on one side, but loose on the other, but it stays up. Geez, they missed this? Its a small 1/4" long red clip.

Still waiting on a bad single seat from middle row (7 seater) and the wireless charger facia assembly which was not in good shape at delivery.

So 4 different parts now on order, nothing really fixed. Next appointment in 2 weeks assuming some parts show up. Loaner is on the order so hopefully I get one. People worry about first model year, but worry about end of quarter builds folks. It was June 6 production for this car.

I've had a minor issue I've been tracking since delivery day (31 March 2022). Basically the climate control system was all fubared when I picked the car up at delivery. It was blowing cold air out the vents when it was 50F outside and was throwing an error on the HVAC control screen (something like "Climate system failure"). I noted this for fixing in my delivery issues. The first post-delivery software update, a few days later, magically seemed to make everything work (at least the air temperature was halfway reasonable and no more system failures).

The service center fixed up all the various minor issues I had with door alignment, random bits of fabric sticking out between panels, etc. but they kept the climate control issue open for a lack of parts. I mentioned it seemed to be doing much better but they wanted to replace some temperature sensor(s) in the HVAC system. I got the car back and I've been driving it the past few months. It doesn't quite regulate cabin temperature as well as my Model S but I'm not sure what the correct expectation should be.

Anyway we've gone a few rounds now of rescheduling the service appointment for lack of parts...I'll get a text from the service advisor a few days before the appointment saying they don't have the parts and need to reschedule, so we kick the can down the road a month or so, lather, rinse, repeat.

This doesn't seem like a hugely pressing issue, and I'm glad my service advisor didn't just stamp "within spec" on it, but it's mildly annoying we can't get it all fixed up.

Anyone else have this problem or understand it?

Cheers,

Bruce.

Once they fix the HVAC issue, you should be experience excellent cabin climate control. It's better than the 2015 S was and quieter. The new vent system really is nice even though you have to use the screen to control direction. But the very long vent slots across the whole dash really move a lot of air with a lot less noise. The ventilated seats work great too.

Reactions: bmah
So the LR delivery of June 25 continues. Brought car in today for FWD adjustment due to rubbing on rear quarter panel molding. This was listed at delivery. Today they decide the rear quarter panel and trim was not installed right, so new glass/trim assembly ordered. When parts arrive then they will adjust the door. This could have done at delivery but they were too busy to look at it.

Both my rear quarter glass panels were replaced. They were done so badly at the factory it's amazing they let any cars out with the kind of fit and finish we got in March.

• Informative
Reactions: golferguy
One thing that I didn't mention before. Tesla moved my rear hatch right in the first 5 week visit in order to better match the FWD alignment. The left top FWD was too far in and the right top FWD was too far out and they figured rather than adjusting both of them they'd just move the door.

This made the seam on the right non existent and opening a huge gap on the left. When I got it back with this crappy adjustment, the FWD looked worse than before plus all the damaged paint and repaint of previously undamaged panels. I was literally worse off after 5 weeks than at delivery. I went on vacation for 2 weeks while it was parked in my garage with the continuation visit scheduled a week after I got back.

First thing I did when I got home was inspect the car since I left the country hours after getting it back after the first 5 weeks. So all the paint issues and the new scratches. But then I also noticed the rear hatch and how the screwed it up to try and hide the bad FWD alignment.

I spent 3 hours re-aligning it myself and moved it back perfectly center including adjusting the elevation of the left and right so the pillars lined up perfectly with the new quarter glass. It then exposed the crappy FWD alignment.

I didn't tell them that I'd messed with the hatch. Instead I just pointed out how the FWD alignment was still really bad.

Fortunately it's nearly perfect this time with a few minor issues.

The front of the roof glass seals both now pinch the glass spine but not too badly. Each for a different reason as outlined here:

I also found a small scratch through the clearcoat on the top drivers side FWD pillar where it sits next to the roof glass. They spent a lot of time messing with those doors I'm no surprised. It's not a huge deal but I'm still going to at leas see if I can get them to cover it on the next visit. The rest of the car is nearly perfect paint wise now.

Reactions: BonB and AudreyHTX1
I love the car and I’m a fan, after all, I am Teslagirl. But the concern is mainly a reliability issue; as I mentioned before, my 3 month old 2018 M3 did the same thing and now the new X. Luckily both times it happened, I was at home but it worries me that the next time, I might be stranded somewhere. My friend’s brand new Y just died also, I just learned.
And regarding the seats, my middle row 60 part is also very difficult to adjust.
💯.
Reliability was my #1 concern in buying the X.
Concern #2 is getting the kids safely out of the X after a crash, but I digress.

Reactions: msjodilynn1
I took delivery of a Model X in March 2022. The driver-side door (both now and at the time of delivery) does not close in a manner that is flush with the passenger doors. The falcon wing door handles also do not align on one side. And trimming is coming off near the bottom of the vehicle under a door. Again, these were all issues at delivery but did not raise. Am I SOL on these issues? Or is there a chance Tesla will address them at no cost. Thanks so much in advance!

I took delivery of a Model X in March 2022. The driver-side door (both now and at the time of delivery) does not close in a manner that is flush with the passenger doors. The falcon wing door handles also do not align on one side. And trimming is coming off near the bottom of the vehicle under a door. Again, these were all issues at delivery but did not raise. Am I SOL on these issues? Or is there a chance Tesla will address them at no cost. Thanks so much in advance!
Hi I think it's reasonable to bring these issues up to the service because they are not "wear & tear" because they were present during delivery as well.