Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Signature Configuration has begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How hard is it to say the first 30 signatures are configuring now. After we review those configurations and production schedules, the next batch will be able to configure. At this time, we don't know how many will be produced in the couple months, but we fully expect your reservation to be delivered in calendar year 2015. Please accept our apology for not communicating with you over the last 2 years, but trust we will be contacting you in the next couple months.
You're hired.

I talked to a transport driver at a Tesla SC this morning (9AM EST). He stated he delivered a Model X to Novi, Michigan earlier. The driver commented that the Model X weighs 6100 pounds. He also said it has the Ludicrous mode which is nothing new. I asked him about the length of the Model X and heard it is 5" longer than the Model S. He said it isn't that long and is about the same length as the Model S. He said he opened the falcon doors as well and they work well. The Tesla SC staff said the driver may be embellishing and not everything he said may be true. I got the impression he has dropped off cars in the past to this SC. The thing that was most interesting about his story is why he delivered the Model X to Novi, Michigan. I forgot to ask him about this but he mentioned "prototype" when he spoke about the Model X.

Agreed. I made a $5000 deposit on a Model X that Tesla has held for more than two years. Tesla set the time frames, failed to comply with the standards that they set, and failed to respect loyal customers who have hung in there with them through unnecessary uncertainty. I know of no reason why Tesla can't communicate better, even if only to say "we don't know yet." This is just a matter of common courtesy, not really about quality customer service. Tesla's customer service has been on a par with BMW's. (This is not intended as a compliment.) Lexus has treated me much better than either of them.
... which is why some felt that the timing of VP of Sales and Service Jerome Guillen's leave of absence was unfortunate.

Frankly, I've gotten used to the lack of communication. Not that this is an excuse or anything.

I think you're comparing apples and oranges here. The width of the Model X given was "with mirrors extended." The Tesla Model S is 86.2" with the mirrors extended, the Model X is 89.4" with mirrors extended. So it's a 3.2" difference between Model S and Model X with mirrors extended. If the mirrors of the X are similar to those of the S, then the Model X should be about 80.4" with the mirrors folded in. But don't quote me on this since we don't have confirmation yet. Yes, it's a wide car but the spec you gave for the Hummer H1 (86.5") doesn't include the mirrors at all. The Hummer H1 with mirrors extended is closer to 100 inches wide (more than that on certain model years).

Got it, so more accurately "without mirrors"
80.5" Tesla Model X
77.3" Tesla Model S
86.5" Hummer H1
81.3" Hummer H2
74.7" Hummer H3

So Model X is a bit narrower than an H2.

The Model X design studio shows the tan and black seats as "leather." We noticed earlier today that the "Ultra white" was labeled as "fabric." It appears to now be updated to simply say "Ultra White Seats" (without saying leather like the black and tan do). Not sure if that's intentional or not, but my wife wanted the tan anyway.
When I configured early in the AM, the label was definitely "White Leather Seats". You are right, now it is "Ultra White Seats". Perhaps this is to warn those who think the seat will be more of a cream color like Signature Model S, that it will be more like the early prototype Model X cars. This is a bit confusing for everyone, since I talked to two Tesla employees from Fremont today who said it was the cream colored leather. Definitely time to find out the exact answer, but no question that a change was made by Tesla Motors at the Design Center today.

This is why it is so important to view these posts! I also realize that the windshield is a single piece of glass from the wipers to the pillar behind the driver's head! The visors are on the side. A clear view exists to the tinted portion at the roof area. No wonder the mules were covered with plastic material to hide that unique design. Truly a panoramic roof from the inside!

Thanks. My wife and I have been obsessing over this thread and the design studio all day trying to make final decisions. She ran into the closest Tesla store to take a look at the leather and wood as well. So thanks everyone for the helpful analysis.

One observation I don't think I've seen (but after 600 posts maybe it's already here somewhere): The Model X design studio shows the tan and black seats as "leather." We noticed earlier today that the "Ultra white" was labeled as "fabric." It appears to now be updated to simply say "Ultra White Seats" (without saying leather like the black and tan do). Not sure if that's intentional or not, but my wife wanted the tan anyway.

Another Congratulations! Can you share any other details about the vehicle? Did TM indicate how the back seats fold down? Obviously you have a very captive audience here that is 'thirsty' for any details you feel comfortable sharing about the X.

... which is why some felt that the timing of VP of Sales and Service Jerome Guillen's leave of absence was unfortunate.

Frankly, I've gotten used to the lack of communication. Not that this is an excuse or anything.

Sorry folks, I just can't be so critical about such a world changing company. They are the first large cap corporation I have ever been excited about in my life. It is your prerogative to think, share, and fell the way you do. I'm more accepting about everything. I ordered,waited and bought a 2013 P85+ and felt it was the best car I have ever owned. I also placed a deposit recently for the Model X. I fully expect there will be issues and challenges with the car and frankly, I don't care. For me, I can't complain first about having the ability to actually buy one, second, finding fault with a company which could "Literally" save the planet for my child and his children. All the while making my transportation experiences an absolute thrill! It's a pretty small price to pay for the privilege.

IMHO

"TODAY you complain about this?"
Yes, today. I had expected to get some information about price, range, and battery sizes yesterday after the long-awaited configuration became possible. Still nothing. Why couldn't Tesla provide me with some basic communication (other than ads for the Model S)? After two years, why should I have to sift through unofficial web sites for hints and rumors about my basic concerns? It will be months before I can take delivery of my MX. Tesla does not have to make the wait worse.

I talked to a transport driver at a Tesla SC this morning (9AM EST). He stated he delivered a Model X to Novi, Michigan earlier. The driver commented that the Model X weighs 6100 pounds. He also said it has the Ludicrous mode which is nothing new. I asked him about the length of the Model X and heard it is 5" longer than the Model S. He said it isn't that long and is about the same length as the Model S. He said he opened the falcon doors as well and they work well. The Tesla SC staff said the driver may be embellishing and not everything he said may be true. I got the impression he has dropped off cars in the past to this SC. The thing that was most interesting about his story is why he delivered the Model X to Novi, Michigan. I forgot to ask him about this but he mentioned "prototype" when he spoke about the Model X.
Hmm. That's only a few minutes away from Gentex. Then again, there are a lot of automobile part manufacturers nearby.

Um, you don't think the website allowing customers to configure is public information? Oh, and they are configuring a car that has been referenced in a shareholder letter for the past 3 years. Oh, and in the last shareholder call they said would be launched in Q3 this year. Oh, and the CEO committed numerous times to having said website online in Aug?

The Tesla apologist drive me nuts. I love the product, I really appreciate the innovation, but they aren't perfect and customer communication is a VERY SIMPLE thing to do better. The fact that they do not appear to care is concerning for their long term success as they are about to attempt to gain customers outside of their early adopter comfort zone. I will vote my confidence with my money, but Tesla could do some very simple things to make that decision easier for me and many others.

Agreed. I fully support Tesla and have been happy to let them use my deposit (without interest) for more than two years.

The Tesla apologist drive me nuts. I love the product, I really appreciate the innovation, but they aren't perfect and customer communication is a VERY SIMPLE thing to do better. The fact that they do not appear to care is concerning for their long term success as they are about to attempt to gain customers outside of their early adopter comfort zone. I will vote my confidence with my money, but Tesla could do some very simple things to make that decision easier for me and many others.

Actually @dirkhh is correct--much discussion of the MX ramp on the last earnings, so details of the ramp could be considered a material disclosure, in which case it needs to be released to everyone at the same time.

I'm fairly certain I've read all the posts in this thread and not seen the answer ... Have any of the first 25-30 Signature reservation holders clicked the "Print spec sheet" link? If so can you post what comes up?

Sig X Page 2.jpg

When I configured early in the AM, the label was definitely "White Leather Seats". You are right, now it is "Ultra White Seats". Perhaps this is to warn those who think the seat will be more of a cream color like Signature Model S, that it will be more like the early prototype Model X cars. This is a bit confusing for everyone, since I talked to two Tesla employees from Fremont today who said it was the cream colored leather. Definitely time to find out the exact answer, but no question that a change was made by Tesla Motors at the Design Center today.

What appears to be white leather is actually a synthetic alternative - if you want a fully vegan interior (i.e., no leather steering wheel), you can contact Tesla and request.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm fairly certain I've read all the posts in this thread and not seen the answer ... Have any of the first 25-30 Signature reservation holders clicked the "Print spec sheet" link? If so can you post what comes up?

It's only a regurgitation of your order - no other specs.

Um, you don't think the website allowing customers to configure is public information? Oh, and they are configuring a car that has been referenced in a shareholder letter for the past 3 years. Oh, and in the last shareholder call they said would be launched in Q3 this year. Oh, and the CEO committed numerous times to having said website online in Aug?
You haven't spoken to lawyers concerned about the SEC much, have you?
My point was that they can't tell relevant information to some people and not to others.
You'd be surprised, I guess, that we agree in general. Anyone who has followed the things that I've posted here in the past two years will confirm that I'm anything but an apologist. I strongly dislike this whole "Tesla time" thing that they have going and their very poor communications on all kinds of issues (go back and read the discussions about the next gen seats and the back and forth and back and over there about them. Dreadful.
All I said was that they are forced to be ultra careful how they communicate details about the ramp of Model X as that is information that a lot of people will consider as extremely sensitive and critical to the stock and therefore it has to be disclosed consistently and publicly. That's all I was pointing out.
Sorry if that rather simple and factual statement is driving you "nuts"

- - - Updated - - -

It's only a regurgitation of your order - no other specs.
disappointed.jpg

actually...

Last edited by a moderator: