Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all of you around for the 'party' associated with the model S unveiling....Did TM send out invites or was the gala open to all? I will not make the various west coast get togethers but I did want to try to make the model X unveiling.

Sig X would be virtually guaranteed an invite to such an event.

Back in October 2011, there were only a 'handful' of us non-Sig S res holders, so, Tesla spread the beta reveal and test ride event at the factory over three invites on a weekend - Sigs on Friday and non-Sigs spread over Sat and Sun.

Now the question to be pondered - will the Model X reveal be a big enough event to be worth traveling from Portland to attend? There's an important part of me leaning towards "yes", but I fear that might be the fanboi answering the question. At some point, surely the "you only live once" response stops being valid, right?

Now the question to be pondered - will the Model X reveal be a big enough event to be worth traveling from Portland to attend? There's an important part of me leaning towards "yes", but I fear that might be the fanboi answering the question. At some point, surely the "you only live once" response stops being valid, right?

It's always exciting to say you were there when the tipping point arrived.

I signed my MVPA and committed to buying Model S long before I got the chance to be a part of the test drive events, but that didn't stop me from flying 4 hours to Seattle for a 15-minute test drive one Saturday morning. :)

personally, I would say no. If i got to test drive the car, sometime that day or week then I would do it, otherwise very unsure. I however am one of those crazy :wink: people who will not fully commit to paying six figures for a car without a test drive. I do hope the test drives are made available well in advance of committing, which if memory serves me correctly was not the case for early "s" reservation holders. As one guy I know bought one...said when it arrived.... " time for the "110 000" dollar test drive.

personally, I would say no. If i got to test drive the car, sometime that day or week then I would do it, otherwise very unsure. I however am one of those crazy :wink: people who will not fully commit to paying six figures for a car without a test drive. I do hope the test drives are made available well in advance of committing, which if memory serves me correctly was not the case for early "s" reservation holders. As one guy I know bought one...said when it arrived.... " time for the "110 000" dollar test drive.

Ocelot - your sanity seems to be misplaced here at the sanitorium. :)

Seriously, this is one disadvantage we all face being early adopters of this technology right now. If I wanted an AWD gas car, I'd have dozens of choices at lots of price points, with all sorts of permutations to choose among. Even if I included an AWD Model S (that we just assume is coming), then I'm about a year+ away from 2 options.

I personally don't buy many cars (I have a notion that the Model X has a reasonable chance of being my 2nd and last new car purchase), so it doesn't really affect me, but the world will be a better place when buyers have dozens of choices from many brands and makers of electric vehicles.

And I do lean towards "yes". That'll be one heck of a show they'll need to put on :)

The Model X launch will hopefully be smoother than the S. They are no longer burning through tons of cash a day so the rush to market should be less. I doubt they would force you to finalize without a test drive so you should be good.

Tally updated with EU and US numbers; total now 13,837

Tally updated with Chinese reservations courtesy of Maoing and the auto home website. 1061 Chinese Model X reservations and 14,280 total. Boat goes a little faster with more oars in the water. It will be interesting if Tesla does the X reveal event after the right hand drive countries get theirs how much reservations could pop.

April 2012: Reserve Tesla X. #852 for $5K and 300 shares of TSLA @ about $33/share

April 2013: Model-X official delays widely reported.

April 2014: Still have the X reservation, but can't wait any longer for new AWD vehicle. Picked up an 2014 Audi Q5 2.0T. 6X TSLA growth more than covers the cost of the "loaner" Audi...

April 2015: Maybe my production-X will finally be ready for delivery? And TSLA up another 100% or so?

Last edited: