Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to this forum we are ready to take the next step and have scheduled a test drive. Our first encounter with a Model X will be to answer the "big picture" questions discussed in this thread:

Model X Replacement for Mercedes-Benz GL550

We're hoping for no showstoppers ... inadequate leg-room for two long-legged baby boomers, uncomfortable seats or contact with the ceiling and doors ... we do like our comfort. We won't expect to find a sunglass case over the rear view mirror, cupholders for all occasions or a sunroof ... although the panoramic front windshield is better.

My wife and I will take turns driving, we expect NOT to "stand on it" nor to engage AutoPilot ... we want the basic 'manual' experience that we expect will be the majority of our driving. All the 'magic' of autonomy, acceleration, OTA software updates, etc. will be wonderful, but not until we have decided to buy a Tesla ... first things first.

So, what do you remember about your first test drive ... and what should we look for?

Regen was surprising. My wife could not belive I was not using the break pedal until <5 MPH. With 36.1 it will be ture 1 pedal driving.

Yes, if this is your first time driving an EV, be prepared for this. When you let off the accelerator, you will slow down. The Tesla has an option to reduce this effect (Low Regen), but I'd urge you to stick with it for awhile. Most people seem to like it once they've adjusted, and it's more efficient.

The other things I'd mention are related: the car will not creep forward until you press the accelerator (also tweakable in settings), and when you do press it, it will go immediately. No ramping up like in an ICE vehicle.

Yes, if this is your first time driving an EV, be prepared for this. When you let off the accelerator, you will slow down. The Tesla has an option to reduce this effect (Low Regen), but I'd urge you to stick with it for awhile. Most people seem to like it once they've adjusted, and it's more efficient.

The other things I'd mention are related: the car will not creep forward until you press the accelerator (also tweakable in settings), and when you do press it, it will go immediately. No ramping up like in an ICE vehicle.

For the reasons stated above, you might ask the Tesla person to set it up to “creep” and turn down the regenerative braking. The two changes, which take 10 seconds to do, will make the car feel like every other car you’ve ever driven (in a good way). I set my Model X up like this when I got it 6 weeks ago so that I could focus on getting comfortable with all the other changes (like FSD) first.

Reactions: mswlogo and SaniDel
I think you should step on it. First thing I noticed was the acceleration. It was so smooth and so constant. None that shifting stuff causing you to moving you back and forth in the seat as acceleration build, drops off, and builds again. More like a jet. It keeps pushing you back hard into the seat. And then you glance down and realize you are doing 50+ in a 25 zone. No problem, lift pedal and regen slows things down pretty quickly. Easy to see why brakes last a long time.

All of this brings a smile to my face every time I drive my X

Other things:
  • It was noisier than I expected. Since the car does not make noise you can hear people in the next car listening to their radios.
  • Seats are comfortable, but firm
  • The windshield is huge!!! You can see straight up! Also, those sun visors work, but are weird, bring sunglasses.
  • But front pillar are big and do block. You need to shift your head slightly or you can sometimes miss someone crossing in front of you.
  • Not a lot of gauges, switches, and dials. But that turns out to be better.
  • Map is huge. Don't get distracted by it.
  • Auto headlights work different. You put them on high beams and leave it. The system auto dims them when needed and otherwise it is on high. Lights work great!
  • Rear floor is flat. Just walk from one side to the other
  • Rear seat access is big when Falcon wing doors are open
  • Hatch space is big and the under rear floor well is also huge. You can put 5-6 bags of groceries in it.
  • It has a frunk! And lots of space in there.
  • There are 4 cup holders available in the front seat plus two bottle holders in the front doors. Does anyone ever use all these?

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH and SaniDel
I wasn't sure I liked driving the MX my first 2 days. Then something clicked on the third day and I kept saying to myself and wife and who ever else would listen, "This drives wayyy better. Everyone is going to want to drive electric once they can." It was not a gradual realization, but more like a switch suddenly flipping. I might have been slower than most at getting used to the MX. I am sure it is different for everyone. My point is buy and use the 7 day satisfaction guarantee. If you drive it plenty during those days, even if you are not sure about it the first few days, I would be shocked if you wanted to return it by day 7. Good luck.

Reactions: SaniDel
Regen was surprising. My wife could not belive I was not using the break pedal until <5 MPH. With 36.1 it will be ture 1 pedal driving.

Thanks KerryOH ... regards to "Lower, Slower Delaware" from Greenville Delaware!

This will be a big change. Our current vehicle is a conventional ICE large and heavy SUV that seems to roll forever when you take your foot off the gas and accelerates rapidly coasting downhill. We'll ask to try the Model X with and without regenerative braking.

Thanks, Zaxxon ... another big difference! Our current vehicle automatically sets the brakes when stopped on an uphill and I can preset the brakes anytime by pushing hard and releasing ... a 'HOLD' icon displays to confirm the brakes are set. This is useful for a quick start as they release the moment I touch the gas pedal. I'm hoping the Tesla Model X can be set the same way, i.e., NOT to creep until I touch the gas ... whoops, I mean the accelerator pedal!

For the reasons stated above, you might ask the Tesla person to set it up to “creep” and turn down the regenerative braking. The two changes, which take 10 seconds to do, will make the car feel like every other car you’ve ever driven (in a good way). I set my Model X up like this when I got it 6 weeks ago so that I could focus on getting comfortable with all the other changes (like FSD) first.

Thanks, sacfan ... a good place to start as going from an ICE to an EV is a big enough step! I'll start as you suggested, but ask them to switch before we finish the test drive for the obvious advantages an EV offers.

I think you should step on it. First thing I noticed was the acceleration. It was so smooth and so constant. None that shifting stuff causing you to moving you back and forth in the seat as acceleration build, drops off, and builds again. More like a jet. It keeps pushing you back hard into the seat. And then you glance down and realize you are doing 50+ in a 25 zone. No problem, lift pedal and regen slows things down pretty quickly. Easy to see why brakes last a long time.

All of this brings a smile to my face every time I drive my X

Thanks, jboy210 ... I expect to be doing a lot of smiling!

Reactions: jboy210
Thanks, Zaxxon ... another big difference! Our current vehicle automatically sets the brakes when stopped on an uphill and I can preset the brakes anytime by pushing hard and releasing ... a 'HOLD' icon displays to confirm the brakes are set. This is useful for a quick start as they release the moment I touch the gas pedal. I'm hoping the Tesla Model X can be set the same way, i.e., NOT to creep until I touch the gas ... whoops, I mean the accelerator pedal!
The latest update will allow for this. Regen will slow to a stop and hold or configurable to slow to a creep.

Reactions: SaniDel

Yep, Teslas already replicate this, and an update coming soon will let you go all the way to zero mph without touching the brakes.

Good luck! When is the test drive?

The #1 feature of the mx is self presenting doors. Just makes you feel special everyday. Everything else is a bonus. Close to 25-30 innovations on top of any other car. From my perspective there is 0 competition.

Thanks, Vm.one ... next to the FWD this seems like one of the nicest amenities of the vehicle.

Concurrent with purchasing a Tesla we are also 'downsizing' from a two-car garage to a one-car garage. I expect that the Model X front doors could hit the walls of the garage ... will the self-presenting feature prevent that?

Thanks, Vm.one ... next to the FWD this seems like one of the nicest amenities of the vehicle.

Concurrent with purchasing a Tesla we are also 'downsizing' from a two-car garage to a one-car garage. I expect that the Model X front doors could hit the walls of the garage ... will the self-presenting feature prevent that?
Yes the FWD and the front doors have sensors to detect obstacles. The doors error more on the side of caution when opening, which is good.

I wasn't sure I liked driving the MX my first 2 days. Then something clicked on the third day and I kept saying to myself and wife and who ever else would listen, "This drives wayyy better. Everyone is going to want to drive electric once they can." It was not a gradual realization, but more like a switch suddenly flipping. I might have been slower than most at getting used to the MX. I am sure it is different for everyone. My point is buy and use the 7 day satisfaction guarantee. If you drive it plenty during those days, even if you are not sure about it the first few days, I would be shocked if you wanted to return it by day 7. Good luck.

Excellent point, mikevbf ... a Tesla is unlike any other vehicle and it would take more than one test drive to adapt. My wife and I are 70, which puts us at the upper end of the target demographics for Tesla, but we're fairly open-minded about trying new vehicles, e.g., a rotary-engined Mazda and various rear-engined air-cooled vehicles, but our "sweet spot" is large, heavy and powerful SUVs like what we drive now:

Interesting how well a Tesla Model X is a match!

Excellent point, mikevbf ... a Tesla is unlike any other vehicle and it would take more than one test drive to adapt. My wife and I are 70, which puts us at the upper end of the target demographics for Tesla, but we're fairly open-minded about trying new vehicles, e.g., a rotary-engined Mazda and various rear-engined air-cooled vehicles, but our "sweet spot" is large, heavy and powerful SUVs like what we drive now:

Interesting how well a Tesla Model X is a match!

Also, on the thought of using the 7-day return policy, but with less pain should you decide it's not for you: Tesla will often allow you to take the car for a 24-hour test drive if they believe you're serious about your interest after the initial test drive. We took advantage of this and it was a big help for us--as you've mentioned, the X is a... 'unique' vehicle. Having the chance to take it home to our house, park it in our garage (and verify the doors were good in that space, for example), and just get used to the car a bit more without a salesperson in the vehicle with us was crucial to us my wife being ready to move forward with the purchase.