Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had the regen to a complete stop for about a week now. Love it. Smoother stops than I have ever experienced. The throttle is able to instantly accelerate very fast but is very featherable for the smooth regen stops and for imitating creep mode. The setting for regen to stop turns off creep mode so just be aware light changes on the go pedal are possible.

I am 71 and an admitted geek so the car appealed to me on many levels. My wife quit speaking to me for two days when I told her I ordered it (some would call that a bonus, but not me, no, not me). She now likes it and has asked to drive it.

Excellent point, mikevbf ... a Tesla is unlike any other vehicle and it would take more than one test drive to adapt. My wife and I are 70, which puts us at the upper end of the target demographics for Tesla, but we're fairly open-minded about trying new vehicles, e.g., a rotary-engined Mazda and various rear-engined air-cooled vehicles, but our "sweet spot" is large, heavy and powerful SUVs like what we drive now:

Model X Replacement for Mercedes-Benz GL550

Interesting how well a Tesla Model X is a match!

Age is just a number, my friend. Sounds like you are young at heart. I am not in my 70s yet, but soon. And I still enjoy having my model X push me back in the seat as the traffic behind me recedes. Have fun!

Reactions: SaniDel
Thanks, Zaxxon ... another big difference! Our current vehicle automatically sets the brakes when stopped on an uphill and I can preset the brakes anytime by pushing hard and releasing ... a 'HOLD' icon displays to confirm the brakes are set. This is useful for a quick start as they release the moment I touch the gas pedal. I'm hoping the Tesla Model X can be set the same way, i.e., NOT to creep until I touch the gas ... whoops, I mean the accelerator pedal!

Greetings from one Delaware resident to another! The Model S supports the press to hold brake functionality as well as the automatic hold on a steep incline. I see no reason why the X would not do the same.

We are actually looking at replacing our aging Dodge Journey. The X is on our short list mostly due to how much I love my S. If you are working with Nicole or Nolan at the Christiana mall gallery, they are very knowledgeable.

Another consideration is service. I am happy to report (in my experience thus far) that the three service centers in our region (Devon ~45 miles away, Cherry Hill ~50 miles away, Owings Mills ~90 miles away - from my location) all seem good. Mobile service is also available so for most minor issues, they will come to your home to fix things.

Thanks, Vm.one ... next to the FWD this seems like one of the nicest amenities of the vehicle.

Concurrent with purchasing a Tesla we are also 'downsizing' from a two-car garage to a one-car garage. I expect that the Model X front doors could hit the walls of the garage ... will the self-presenting feature prevent that?
Yup. The sensors only open per space constraint.

Excellent point, mikevbf ... a Tesla is unlike any other vehicle and it would take more than one test drive to adapt. My wife and I are 70, which puts us at the upper end of the target demographics for Tesla, but we're fairly open-minded about trying new vehicles, e.g., a rotary-engined Mazda and various rear-engined air-cooled vehicles, but our "sweet spot" is large, heavy and powerful SUVs like what we drive now:

Model X Replacement for Mercedes-Benz GL550

Interesting how well a Tesla Model X is a match!
All the more reason (that you are 70) to enjoy this car and see how far the world has come. Tesla = happiness.

I am 71 and an admitted geek so the car appealed to me on many levels. My wife quit speaking to me for two days when I told her I ordered it (some would call that a bonus, but not me, no, not me). She now likes it and has asked to drive it.

We have much in common, shinytop ... and not just our age. My concession to get a Tesla is to go "back to the future" in our new residence ... no technology beyond what Ozzie and Harriet could deal with, a.k.a., The Revenge of Analog! The deal is I control what's in the garage and my wife controls what is in the house, but first we are facing a downsizing to a one-car garage ... hence replacing our M-B behemoth.

Greetings from one Delaware resident to another! The Model S supports the press to hold brake functionality as well as the automatic hold on a steep incline. I see no reason why the X would not do the same.

We are actually looking at replacing our aging Dodge Journey. The X is on our short list mostly due to how much I love my S. If you are working with Nicole or Nolan at the Christiana mall gallery, they are very knowledgeable.

Another consideration is service. I am happy to report (in my experience thus far) that the three service centers in our region (Devon ~45 miles away, Cherry Hill ~50 miles away, Owings Mills ~90 miles away - from my location) all seem good. Mobile service is also available so for most minor issues, they will come to your home to fix things.

Excellent news, fellow Delawarean dannycamps! The more the Tesla Model X reminds us of our 'panzerwagen' the easier the transition ... having M-B switchgear will help. I use the "press to hold" extensively and especially at a stoplight when I am #1 and might have to ... well, sometimes you just have to, right?

Haven't visited the Christiana Mall gallery as our son is running this show ... he's #1 for a Tesla Model 3 and we'll do a fast follow. He's close to the Devon dealership, which is where we will be on Monday morning for our first test ride and his third. He'll likely use Devon for service, but options are good. We'll have to cross that bridge and may try all three that you suggested. Best of all would be mobile service to our new residence in Greenville.

Reactions: dannycamps
Excellent news, fellow Delawarean dannycamps! The more the Tesla Model X reminds us of our 'panzerwagen' the easier the transition ... having M-B switchgear will help. I use the "press to hold" extensively and especially at a stoplight when I am #1 and might have to ... well, sometimes you just have to, right?

Haven't visited the Christiana Mall gallery as our son is running this show ... he's #1 for a Tesla Model 3 and we'll do a fast follow. He's close to the Devon dealership, which is where we will be on Monday morning for our first test ride and his third. He'll likely use Devon for service, but options are good. We'll have to cross that bridge and may try all three that you suggested. Best of all would be mobile service to our new residence in Greenville.
I have only needed repair once in 20 months. The driver side front door needed a new actuator and I was in and out of Devon service center in 2 hours. They were excellent and friendly.

I have only needed repair once in 20 months. The driver side front door needed a new actuator and I was in and out of Devon service center in 2 hours. They were excellent and friendly.

Good to know, KerryOH ... especially considering the distance you would have to drive to Devon. We will be there Monday morning with our son and his wife for concurrent test drives ... a Model 3 for them and a Model X for us.

It was better than expected!

My wife and I met our son and daughter-in-law at the Devon Pennsylvania dealership. We spent about 45 minutes with 'Alex' gathered around the showroom Model X peppering him with questions ... all of which he answered with aplomb. Then the five of us piled into a Model X with six seats, with me as the driver and with Alex as the passenger. It took a while to adjust the seats to give all of us adequate legroom, but we did. Alex set the preferences for 'Standard' ... regenerative braking, 'Creeping' and 'Comfort' ... and we were off!

My first impression was how smooth and quiet the Model X rode, how strong the regeneration was at slow speeds and how well the air suspension rode over the hilly and bumpy country roads of suburban Philadelphia. We were riding on 22" wheels with Pirelli Scorpion tires yet it rode better than expected. However, I would probably prefer 20" wheels.

During the test drive Alex demonstrated the ride quality on different road conditions, tight curves and hilly terrain. The visibility was excellent even heading into low angle-of-incidence sunlight thanks to the windshield tinting. As expected ... acceleration is impressive even with five adults, with no sign of brake fade. Fortunately, regenerative braking diminishes with speed.

In summary ... no showstoppers, no disappointments and a few pleasant surprises ... just what you told me to expect!