Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Timeline - From Prototype to Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello- Just put my reservation deposit down yesterday. So excited, but from reading forums sounds like I have a long wait!! Can someone advise me as to next steps? When do they contact me, when do I configure and any clue on delivery timing. I am going P90D

Thanks!

Less than a week after you put your deposit down, they will contact you for configuration. Once you configure, you'll have a week to confirm the configuration you picked.
After that, when the car is being sourced for production, you will be assigned a VIN number and an approximate delivery timeframe.
At some point after that you will be contacted about final payment, pick up etc.
Finally, once your car is manufactured and QCed, it will be delivered.
Tesla is still figuring out and optimizing the last two steps, so it is all a bit of a mystery.

If you hit the Order button on the 1st of the month, then it will tell you that you have until the 8th of the month to make changes. Sometime very late on the 8th or early on the 9th you will get another email showing that your order is confirmed and the button to EDIT DESIGN will change to say VIEW DESIGN SPEC

Yes, you can change the configuration as many times as you like.... then hit the ORDER button. You will then have 7 days to change the Ordered Configuration. Once the 7 days have passed, your order will be CONFIRMED. After confirmation, any changes will be $500.

• Helpful
Reactions: masam
MX 90D
Order Confirmed: 2/28
Vin assigned: 3/11
Expected Delivery: "Mid-April"

DS mentioned there was a big push to get cars already in the production queue delivered before the end of the quarter, which slowed things down a little for the rest of us. Also mentioned Model 3 launch was a labor intensive for Tesla staff and took some attention away from production/deliveries.