Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Timeline - From Prototype to Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, only AP & UHFS

20" silver wheels
Matte obeche, black headliner
Autopilot
UH fidelity sound

Then you are the first I have heard getting a delivery in the next week without the premium upgrade package. Please do take pictures of the front and comment on the non perforated leather seat comfort. I am sure many are interested. You might post in this thread when you get delivery:
Any non premium pkg deliveries

Good luck this Saturday.

Reactions: ModelS8794
Then you are the first I have heard getting a delivery in the next week without the premium upgrade package. Please do take pictures of the front and comment on the non perforated leather seat comfort. I am sure many are interested. You might post in this thread when you get delivery:
Any non premium pkg deliveries

Good luck this Saturday.

Yes please. Also, we'd love information about how the front doors work. Do they auto-open when you push the button, or do you have to pull them out themselves? Also, do they auto-close when you push the brake?

Pick scheduled for Friday. VIN 47XX.
90D
6 seat
Matte Obeche
Black on black interior
Blue exterior
all options except cold weather
Interesting, we're VIN 4035...should be out of paint and ready to ship (not confirmed), but we were told not to expect to take delivery until May 1 due to the long transport time. (train to Chicago, truck to Kansas City)

For those that are curious about order to delivery...I confirmed my order a few days after the 3 announcement. 90D, premium, 6 ultra white seat and the DS told me mid-late May timeframe! Super excited (and scared) it's much earlier than expected!

Just got a e-mail stating that production is complete and going through QC as of yesterday. I'm told QC takes 5-7 Days. Non PuP. Crossing my fingers to hopefully get it before the 23rd. DES gave me a 45% chance it will make it by then (they seem pretty conservative with their estimates). You guys think it will make it? Over/under?

Reactions: umeshunni
I have never understood the estimates of 5-7 days in QC after production. If Tesla would manufacture 800 Models S's per week -- assuming 7 day production week, that is 115 cars a day.... if each one took another 5 days (lesser estimated time) to be in quality control, that would mean every 5 days 570 cars would accumulate in QC as an every increasing back log. The math makes no sense for any manufacturing process. Unfortunately, I don't recall all my trig (queuing theory) from college... but I recall enough to know this is not possible.

I have never understood the estimates of 5-7 days in QC after production. If Tesla would manufacture 800 Models S's per week -- assuming 7 day production week, that is 115 cars a day.... if each one took another 5 days (lesser estimated time) to be in quality control, that would mean every 5 days 570 cars would accumulate in QC as an every increasing back log. The math makes no sense for any manufacturing process. Unfortunately, I don't recall all my trig (queuing theory) from college... but I recall enough to know this is not possible.

That's not quite how the math works. In terms of accumulating out of control inventory, the duration of the QC process (or any manufacturing step) for any individual car doesn't matter, only the rate of output of that step in terms of cars/day. If manufacturing is running at 800 cars/week, the number of cars (inventory) in the QC process at any given time will stabilize as long as the QC process is able to output them at a rate equal to or greater than 800/week.

Thanks @Oloron. I am familiar with FIFO timing in manufacturing. I guess the question is what is "QC" stage at Tesla. If it is the water testing, final inspection, test track, etc. and an integral part of manufacturing, then OK (although 5-7 days seems excessive after a car is manufactured). If it is inspection and correction, that would be indicative of really poor manufacturing -- you can't inspect in quality.

I have just seen QC quoted many times here on on Tesla Motors Forum as a mysterious process after the car is built taking days to completing, with no definition of what happens at the end of production. After visiting Toyota in Kentucky many times, their cars come off the assembly line, go through a test and inspection, and out the door. It takes only hours as part of the process.

If someone know what "QC" is a does, I would appreciate understanding. Just the statement is confusing.

I think QC (at the moment) means the extra quality control that the Service Center (SC) had to do early in the roll-out to try to catch a lot of the problems that were leaving Fremont. It was believed that Fremont was trying to churn out as many X as possible to meet quarterly numbers and the extra QC was being pushed out to the SC since they were probably sitting more idle than headquarters.

It would appear that is still happening. At one point it was said that Elon Musk himself said that every X had to go a minimum of 7 days of QC at the SC before a customer could get delivery. I assume that this is a temporary state and when factory quality is improved, this extra QC could be reduced.

ah... Thanks @vandacca that explanation helps... so it is similar to what dealers do upon arrival. My X is at the Service Center for Software update and final adjustments and inspections -- That makes sense, it is scheduled for about a week with delivery next week. Keeping in mind, that the SC is receiving and prep several vehicles so it's not a continuous process.

@MrE8 ... My car is setting in the local SC with software, QC and cleaning. I asked the DS if I could "drop by". The answer was No... but the DS said he would see what stage the X was and if the Service People would be able to bring it out of the secure area. He checked and it wasn't possible. He did have pics taken and sent to me. So I have 4 pics to tied me over until Tuesday. Early on, a number of people snapped pictures of their cars and others and also included pictures of the VIN and posted them here and TM Forums. This was a serious relationship and truse issue for Tesla. Imagine seeing your car and VIN here before you saw it in person. It is now a "you bet your job" issue. So I didn't press. 2+ years of waiting, I can muster up another 6 days.

Reactions: umeshunni
Yes please. Also, we'd love information about how the front doors work. Do they auto-open when you push the button, or do you have to pull them out themselves? Also, do they auto-close when you push the brake?
Took delivery today, all good, built 4/2016 is what the papers say, not a certain day. It's a non-PUP

- Front pic is my Avatar now, but helps answer one question asked
- Tan Leather seats feel fine so far (non-perforated)
- All doors auto-open at touch, you gotta firmely push the middle of the bar though
- Front driver door auto-closes when you push the brake, that also starts the car, not sure the rest of the doors
- Only quality issue so far was FWD window rubber rain seal, needs a tweek at first service time
- Car a little dusty, so they threw in a free detail at first service time

Lots of heads turning as I cruised main street this afternoon, whowa!

IMG_8971.JPG