Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Travel Trailer Consumption Analysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked to lots of folks about Tesla at the campsite (including some brand new model 3 owners). Thoroughly enjoyable trip. It is clear to us that electric vehicle consciousness is beginning to permeate the culture (much more awareness and acceptance of electric powered vehicles among the other campers.)

Towing an Airstream with a Tesla is not inconspicuous. I was initially concerned about not fitting in, especially at parks with mostly fixed full-timers. But almost everywhere, all kinds of people have come over and asked questions that show they’ve been seriously thinking about buying a Tesla for their next car – usually a Model 3 but when they learn about the tow capabilities they start seriously looking into the Model X. So I’ve been letting go of those concerns.

Towing an Airstream with a Tesla is not inconspicuous. I was initially concerned about not fitting in, especially at parks with mostly fixed full-timers. But almost everywhere, all kinds of people have come over and asked questions that show they’ve been seriously thinking about buying a Tesla for their next car – usually a Model 3 but when they learn about the tow capabilities they start seriously looking into the Model X. So I’ve been letting go of those concerns.
I am really hoping that the Tesla pick-up truck will be able to tow higher weight campers longer distances without charging to really compete with the F series, Chevy and Dodge Rams. I have some hope in that regard as I hear the capabilities of the semi.

Yes your energy usage numbers are very similar to mine when towing my F1743, though once for about 150 miles on a mostly level highway at 55mph I got 485Wh/mi, which surprised me, as I could not detect a tailwind.

Your prototype box is very interesting! Although I am not in any way an aerodynamic expert, I tend to agree with @j-rho that the biggest gains may come from smoothing out the turbulence at the rear of the trailer. However if you add something significant to the rear you will obscure the turn signals and running lights on the trailer so you would need to mount them differently and then you have a much longer trailer length to deal with, so to me it sounds like more trouble than it’s worth.
Bonjour everybody from Quebec home of my AltoF1743 ! I have travelled 3 times in June. 665mi + 134mi + 436mi. Average 572wh/mi + 619wh/mi and 634wh/mi. It is in line with the numbers exposed by you all. I have peak at 877wh/mi with front wind and heavy rain and low of 564wh/mi for a 224 mile trip with no wind. All at 55mph. As posted earlier, I want to add a box between the two. I found a program in Europe where you can analyse the air drag of a profile. It gives a video of 10 to 60 seconds. See the screen shot. I started a prototype box with coroplast see picture attached. First step to try it on the road see if it is worth the investment to do it in aluminium. What % will be the increase if there is one. Appreciate your input.

I've had the same apprehensions and eventual comfort with the discussion. I've enjoyed the conversations I've had, and most people who like to camp also appreciate the environment and the potential benefits of reducing fossil fuel usage.

@AltoGrayhound, love your idea and I'm very interested to hear whether you see measurable results! I'm also interested to hear your experience with AirTabs, if you go that route. Since my Airstream has radius edges, I do not think AirTabs will work for me, but it's definitely worth research.

I've had the same apprehensions and eventual comfort with the discussion. I've enjoyed the conversations I've had, and most people who like to camp also appreciate the environment and the potential benefits of reducing fossil fuel usage.

@AltoGrayhound, love your idea and I'm very interested to hear whether you see measurable results! I'm also interested to hear your experience with AirTabs, if you go that route. Since my Airstream has radius edges, I do not think AirTabs will work for me, but it's definitely worth research.
I have read the paper from Transport Canada and it seems that Airtab is not so efficient. After reading, I measure the reason why Bowlus and Airstream are doing well even if they are heavier than Alto. Radius edges is very important. I will keep you posted after I tested my coroplast prototype. Should be mid July. This week-end camping at Mont Megantic Astrolab to make sky observation with one of the most efficient telescope in East America. Maybe I will see Musk Roadster ;)

Reactions: KJD and ohmman

The combo may not be inconspicuous. But I would argue that it is less conspicuous than a 5th wheel or a big Class A.

A Tesla-Aluminum trailer combination is probably "mid-rent" territory when it comes to cost in the campgrounds we've been (mostly State/County/COE). Tesla + AS Sport combo probably costs about the same as an nicely appointed 1-ton pickup with a 5th wheel. That combo seems to be popular.

On the other hand conspicuous can be good. On our last trip a woman drove up to me while I was parked outside of Starbucks. After asking me some questions about the shiny trailer and Tesla she asks, "Do you need a momma?" :rolleyes:

A Tesla-Aluminum trailer combination is probably "mid-rent" territory when it comes to cost in the campgrounds we've been (mostly State/County/COE). Tesla + AS Sport combo probably costs about the same as an nicely appointed 1-ton pickup with a 5th wheel. That combo seems to be popular.
This is a good point. I see as many Class A diesels these days as anything, and those are in the $200k-$300k range. And they're usually pulling a Jeep or other vehicle behind them.

I'd like to add another trailer to this consumption-analysis thread, the Little Guy Max from Liberty Outdoors. I should say first that it's a very nicely built 21' trailer with a dry weight of 3140 lbs. However, the energy consumption was abysmal. Often I'd see TeslaFi Wh/Mi reports in the mid 700s. The best I got was 675 and the worst was 820. All of these trips were at 55 mph, over fairly flat terrain and light winds.

I've sold it and now own an Airstream 22FB Sport.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus and ohmman
I'd like to add another trailer to this consumption-analysis thread, the Little Guy Max from Liberty Outdoors. I should say first that it's a very nicely built 21' trailer with a dry weight of 3140 lbs. However, the energy consumption was abysmal. Often I'd see TeslaFi Wh/Mi reports in the mid 700s. The best I got was 675 and the worst was 820. All of these trips were at 55 mph, over fairly flat terrain and light winds.

I've sold it and now own an Airstream 22FB Sport.
Thanks for the data point. At what speeds did you experience those consumption numbers? I agree that they're surprisingly high.

Thanks for your report. I too am surprised that you experienced Wh/mi figures in that range. My Safari Condo Alto F1743, at 17ft and 2300 lbs (fully loaded) is 86” wide and 96” high, and at 55mph on a level road with no headwind I get 485 to 560Wh/mi. The Little Guy Max at 21 ft and maybe 3500 lbs (fully loaded) is 84” wide and 109” high (I suspect that includes the AC unit on the roof). So the frontal area is somewhat greater, and certainly that contributes to the higher energy usage.The Little Guy Max roof drops off more steeply at the rear than the Safari Condo Alto and that may also be a factor.

So what Wh/mi figures are you seeing for your Airstream F22B?

cycle-02.jpg

4F905032-5858-460C-9E56-64FF95D65A47.jpeg

@Travler what Wh/mi numbers do you get towing your Airstream at 55mph on a level road?

The principle aerodynamic advantage of the Airstream is likely the heavily radiused corners. The only other trailer I am aware of that has radiused corners to that degree is the Bowlus Road Chief, though it is an even more aerodynamic shape because of the tapered tail. What I find less than optimal about the Bowlus, besides the price, ;) is the limited window area. I understand that is part of the retro design, but I like a lot more interior light. That said, the Bowlus looks like an marvelous trailer.

work-and-play.jpg

I had posted it another thread and not a travel trailer, but this data may be helpful.

Vehicle: Model X 75D, 237 rated range - 4% degradation w/ 22" OEM wheels and Pirelli's
Trailer: 6.5'w x 10'l x 8'h, V-Nose Cargo Trailer - Flat Top, Single Axle, Empty Weight: 1200lbs

Leg 1: Normal settings and driving, 66 miles, 60 mph average, 653 wh/mi, Air Temp: 82F, Peak Climb 566ft, Highway speeds of 70-80mph
Starting Range & Elevation: 90% @ 110ft
Remaining Range & Elevation: 22% @ 930ft

Leg 2: Range mode and normal driving, 40 miles, 58mph average, 638 wh/mi, Air Temp: 90F, Peak Climb 350ft, Highway speeds of 70-85mph
Starting Range & Elevation: 70% @ 930ft
Remaining Range & Elevation: 41% @ 1060ft

Leg 3: Range mode off, Chill Mode Enabled, 117 miles, 52mph average, 509 wh/mi, trailer loaded - ~2750lbs total, Air Temp: 74F, Peak Climb: 315ft, Highway speeds of 55-65mph
Starting Range & Elevation: 89% @ 865ft
Remaining Range & Elevation: 2% @ 865ft

Leg 4: Range mode off, Chill Mode Enabled, 98 miles, 54mph average, 585 wh/mi, trailer loaded - ~2750lbs total, Air Temp: 65F, Peak Climb: 610ft, Highway speeds of 60-70mph
Starting Range & Elevation: 85% @ 865ft
Remaining Range & Elevation: 12% @ 930ft

Has anyone tried any of the trailer aerodynamic add-ons? I've been reading a bunch about them and wondering if they'd work.

We picked up our X 100D last month, and my wife is considering getting a travel trailer.

It would be extremely helpful if we could get those X owners who have towed trailers to post their average energy consumption, to help educate other X owners on the likely impact on range. Items that would be useful to capture: performance or non-performance model, 20" vs. 22" wheels, trailer make/model/weight, along with the average/typical energy consumption.

Bowlus claims they got 70% of range with their trailer on a Model X, which would be around 485 wh/mi, or for an X 100D, keeping the energy between 10-90%, range would be around 165 miles (which is similar to what we saw with our 2012 S P85).

Based on forum comments, it appears less aerodynamic or heavier trailers get much worse. Would be helpful to get this data into a form so X owners would know the likely range for the various trailer options - and help them make decisions on which travel trailer to buy.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
We picked up our X 100D last month, and my wife is considering getting a travel trailer.

It would be extremely helpful if we could get those X owners who have towed trailers to post their average energy consumption, to help educate other X owners on the likely impact on range. Items that would be useful to capture: performance or non-performance model, 20" vs. 22" wheels, trailer make/model/weight, along with the average/typical energy consumption.

Bowlus claims they got 70% of range with their trailer on a Model X, which would be around 485 wh/mi, or for an X 100D, keeping the energy between 10-90%, range would be around 165 miles (which is similar to what we saw with our 2012 S P85).

Based on forum comments, it appears less aerodynamic or heavier trailers get much worse. Would be helpful to get this data into a form so X owners would know the likely range for the various trailer options - and help them make decisions on which travel trailer to buy.
There are a number of threads with energy consumption information while pulling trailers on this forum including Initial trailer pulling report - 90D and Airstream 22ft Bambi Sport, Road trip w/ trailer - Toronto, Wyoming (off road), Utah, Toronto, (the great one from Ohmman) Ohmman's Airstream Adventures, (Bowlus Tin Poodle related) Bowlus Road Chief Cross Country Trip, (another one of mine) X and Airstream Bambi - the new adventures 2017, and many others.
Pulling a trailer has so many variables for energy consumption! My own rule of thumb is that range is at least halved in most instances while pulling my 22 ft Airstream with my 20" wheels 90D.
I seem to remember other threads that attempted to put the info about consumption in a spreadsheet format, but I could not find this in a cursory search. Hope this helps, bob_p!

Reactions: ohmman