Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Unveil When??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unveiling in November?

I guess this could also have been under news but....

Tesla-Model-X-set-for-2011-Los-Angeles-Auto-Show

It may have taken Tesla four years to bring out its first new model since the launch of the Roadster back in 2008 but the same won’t occur for the electric car startup’s third model, the long-rumored Model X crossover due out in time for the 2013 or 2014 model year.

Tesla’s current focus is on the Model S electric sedan due next year, which has been confirmed to include four different trim levels including a high-performance, BMW M5-rivaling sports variant.

However, work is well underway on a crossover to share the Model S’ aluminum chassis and running gear and we should see the first fruits of that labor as early as this November’s 2011 Los Angeles Auto Show.

Also specs that are "known"....

Tesla-Model-X-what-we-know-before-nov-reveal
We know for sure that ...
  • The 2012 Tesla Model X crossover will be unveiled at the Los Angeles Auto Show in mid-November
  • It will carry "seven full-size adults" in three full rows of seating, unlike the optional pair of child-sized jump seats in the rear of the Model S
  • It will have the same level of luxury as the Model S
  • Tesla hopes to sell up to 15,000 Model X vehicles a year, as Musk said in an August earnings call
  • The Model X will "incorporate the functionality of a minivan with the consumer appeal of a sports-utility vehicle," according to Tesla's SEC filings
  • In June, Tesla raised an additional $210 million to fund Model X development and related projects

And suspect....

We suspect that ...
  • The Model X will cost as much as, or more than, the Model S
  • Its platform will have a longer wheelbase than the Model S sedan
  • The Tesla crossover will offer all-wheel drive, though we can't say whether it will be standard or optional

Last edited:
I absolutely love the Model S - but I'm thinking that the Model X and a Roadster in my garage might be a better combination. I'll probably fly down in November to see the Model X in person (assuming it will be there).

What a good dilemma to have.

firstly... wow! Model X finally got its own forum. I thought it was going to wait until the unveiling.

On to the what we "know"'s:

The 2012 Tesla Model X crossover will be unveiled at the Los Angeles Auto Show in mid-November
Earlier than announced, but makes sense.

It will carry "seven full-size adults" in three full rows of seating, unlike the optional pair of child-sized jump seats in the rear of the Model S
Cool, but I wonder how or if that will affect trunk space. My current crossover has 2 rows and really nice trunk space. I suspect if a third row were added (and it were comfortable) the trunk would shrink to the space behind the last row of seats in a minivan. Unless of course they extend the body back as well.

It will have the same level of luxury as the Model S
Haven't seen the final S interior and was unimpressed with the Beta, so no real feelings here.

Tesla hopes to sell up to 15,000 Model X vehicles a year, as Musk said in an August earnings call
If it's launching after the S is already in production and established, they may be able to sell more. There might be some initial woes, but Americans love their big cars. If this thing is as no-compromising as the S, I can see it outselling it (look at Audi and Porsche crossovers outselling their cars).

The Model X will "incorporate the functionality of a minivan with the consumer appeal of a sports-utility vehicle," according to Tesla's SEC filings
Let's hope so, though I'm not a huge fan of minivans in any case (interior or exterior)

In June, Tesla raised an additional $210 million to fund Model X development and related projects
Related eh?

On to the suspicions:

The Model X will cost as much as, or more than, the Model S
Figured. Though I remember an article somewhere that said less, which just can't be.

Its platform will have a longer wheelbase than the Model S sedan
Would sort of answer my trunk concern above.

The Tesla crossover will offer all-wheel drive, though we can't say whether it will be standard or optional
Which might then trickle down to the S :)

I absolutely love the Model S - but I'm thinking that the Model X and a Roadster in my garage might be a better combination. I'll probably fly down in November to see the Model X in person (assuming it will be there).

I wonder. If you took out the back 2 rows, could you then transport a roadster in the X? :)

two thoughts on Model X
1 my kids will outgrow that 4'11" jump seats in 4 to 5 years.
2 Given the charging solution for Model S, it's probably not a good idea to road trip Europe in 2013 with it. The Tesla provided DC fast charging infrastructure won't be rolled out that soon.

Thus, I consider to go with Model X either in 2016 or right from its start.

Also, I wonder if they'll start preorders after it's unveiled? Anyone here (aside from Bonnie) jumping on one if they do?

To be clear, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I love love love the Model S. NOT getting it will be difficult. I'm hoping I'm equally excited by both the design and features of the Model X. That will make it easier.

For all the jokes about the cats, I do have two large labs, I head into the mountains for skiing in the winter, have lots of visitors requiring pickup @ the airport with bags, and live in the country (all requiring cargo room, which Model S clearly has). The all wheel drive is something I'd like.

Talked to the chief engineer about the Model X. He was excited as a schoolgirl when he talked about how the Model X would have features that no other vehicle has every had.

It seemed he was talking about the electric 4 wheel drive and how that will make it handle/preform. I can't stress enough how he said it will have things that have never been in a vehicle.

Also talked to Franz about it. He vasilated back and forth between calling it SUV and minvan in conversation. When I tried to pin him down he smiled and said it's both and neither.

Cool, but I wonder how or if that will affect trunk space. My current crossover has 2 rows and really nice trunk space. I suspect if a third row were added (and it were comfortable) the trunk would shrink to the space behind the last row of seats in a minivan. Unless of course they extend the body back as well.

Don't forget about the Frunk for storage.

I, like dadaleus, will be looking to the model X to replace my wife's car, and will splurge for the largest battery to make it truly roadtrip capable (I'm going with the 160 in the model S for financial reasons). More likely, however, is that she'll end up driving the S more and I'll take the X for myself!

That article got updated:
We know for sure that ...
  • The 2013 or 2014 Tesla Model X crossover will be unveiled in the first quarter of 2012
  • Tesla will show the Model X to an invited audience before the end of this year
So the LA Auto Show was a false alarm and they're just going to show it to a select few.
We suspect that ...
  • Its platform will have a longer wheelbase than the Model S sedan
If they nixed the frunk, Tesla could make a pretty cool micro-bus with the same wheelbase as the Model S.

I have been waiting for the X since I got the roadster. I, like Bonnie, have dogs and frequent trips to the mountains, and road trips across EU. I have already told my local tesla rep. to get me all the info as soon as available. I want! need to replace my aging diesel Q7.

Its platform will have a longer wheelbase than the Model S sedan

With a longer wheelbase comes the space to have a larger battery. How about a 400 mile pack. (I think they're losing some of the economies of scale from the Model S if they do this).

The main thing that would hold me back from replacing my wife's minivan with the Model X is that at highway speeds that 300 mil pack becomes a 210 mile pack. That means 2 or 3 stops on the way to Disney World instead of 1. With a bigger pack we could just stop once. Not sure if I-75 will be any where close to the top of Tesla's list for charging stations.

The article that folks were linking to says:

[UPDATE: Tesla Motors says it will officially unveil the Model X crossover in the first quarter of 2012 2013, and show off its new southern California design studio at the same time. CEO Elon Musk has been quoted as saying the company will show it to a select audience--presumably owners and strong prospects--before the end of the year. ]

Now that they are a public company it would be problematic to show something material like a brand new model (when you only have one active model) to a select group of people and not to the whole world - could be considered a violation of Reg FD. Hopefully they'll show the whole world in November.

Last edited:
The article that folks were linking to says:

Now that they are a public company it would be problematic to show something material like a brand new model (when you only have one active model) to a select group of people and not to the whole world - could be considered a violation of Reg FD. Hopefully they'll show the whole world in November.

I think the problem would be if they didn't announce and only told (or showed) a select group of people - but certainly if they announce, then they have disclosed publicly - and as long as it is not additional material information, they can show prototypes but are not obligated to show those prototypes to everyone. To the best of my knowledge, there is no regulation that says it must be 'all or nothing' - only that material facts cannot be selectively shared. Or am I missing something here?