Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Volvo XC90

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like some early XC 90 vehicles are having problems:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-new-2016-all-new-xc90-starting-trouble-me!!!

I hope the Signature X's will be ready for prime time when delivered unlike the XC 90. Although I recall some Model S posts stated one can just reboot if something weird happens and it usually goes away? Is this true?

Yes it's true. sometimes the center screen needs a reboot...

Every car brand will always have a few cars do weird things. The more cars you produce, the more cars will behave weird problems or have a manufacturing fault.
It doesn't matter if it's Tesla, BMW, Volvo, GM, Ford or whatever. But the better quality control you have (incl for software), the smaller the number in percent of produced cars will get.
From reading here and other "brand boards" as well as my own experience both with Tesla and other brans, Tesla is actually somewhat lacking when it comes to quality control.

Pasting my first post on the Volvo Forum. It seemed like a reasonable thing to cross post here.

I doubt the T8 will be seriously cross-shopped with the Model X, but who knows. A base model S (70, RWD) with no extra options is $70K...the AWD version is $75K. I assume the Model X will be even more, but even if it isn't that's certainly got some overlap with a T8 (which maxes around $84K). A mid-level Model S 85D is $110K with similar options as a loaded T8 though.

I currently drive a Tesla Model S. My wife is driving an aging Saab 9-5 wagon. We are square in the zone of consideration for these two vehicles, in the next 12-14 months (hopefully by the end of 2016)

Budget is about $85k +/-

Volvo XC90 T8 appears like it would be inscription trim (top of the line) with air suspension, B&W stereo, HUD and most of the options one might get.

Tesla Model X appears like it will be a base X70D version, with a few carefully chosen options (metallic paint, autopilot, leather seats....oops, out of money).

My wife is leaning Volvo, I am leaning Tesla, but neither of us is leaning too hard at this point.

The buildout of the Tesla supercharger network over the next 9 months leading up to the decision will certainly be a factor. If we can't go where we want with Model X, that will kill it as my car is also a Tesla and we don't want to have to run to Hertz every time we take a trip to the mountains.

Thanks for having me here. I look forward to reading up on this forum.

I've been going back and forth for a while between the two vehicles also. The T8 is kind of an odd target. The T6 seems to be a much better road trip vehicle, bigger gas tank, the fact that it carries a spare, etc. The T8 gets worse mileage on the highway because of the weight of the battery as well as less range from the smaller tank. For around town when you can maximize the battery usage the T8 seems to be a good option. I miss my 9-5 wagon, it served us well for over 10 years before it got replaced with one of the last of the BMW 5 series wagons.

My Model S is the road trip vehicle of choice to Asheville, Atlanta, Florida, Charleston/Wilmington/beach locations, Washington D.C. and points northeast. My wife's car will be the road trip vehicle for trips to the mountains (NC, WV) and skiing particularly (if Volvo), but if it is a Model X, it may be for all road trips (except my business trips). But, to do that, we need a supercharger in Hickory, NC, Wytheville, VA and destination charging at Snoeshoe, WV. I pretty much comes down to superchargers.

My Model S is the road trip vehicle of choice to Asheville, Atlanta, Florida, Charleston/Wilmington/beach locations, Washington D.C. and points northeast. My wife's car will be the road trip vehicle for trips to the mountains (NC, WV) and skiing particularly (if Volvo), but if it is a Model X, it may be for all road trips (except my business trips). But, to do that, we need a supercharger in Hickory, NC, Wytheville, VA and destination charging at Snoeshoe, WV. I pretty much comes down to superchargers.

I fully understand your concern with the supercharger network and the X. We had an X on reservation since the night of the reveal, and just cancelled ours in the past 2 weeks. We have driven our S since February of 2013 and love it. Our XC90 T8 is scheduled for delivery in December. We ordered our XC90 in June, and had both it and the X on order at the same time. For us, the supercharger network just did not work, as we take regular trips into the central states, and there are some big holes there. Had we lived in areas where there were lots of superchargers, the choice would have been the X all the way. For people living in areas of greater supercharger concentrations, I am sure this is not a consideration and may be hard to understand. I have charged the S at RV parks and other areas which are not convenient, and simply did not want to put the wife through that when she had to make trips without me, and we too did not want to have to rent a vehicle for trips without supercharger support.

Since you mention skiing, are you aware that in AWD mode XC90 T8 will have to engage both motors (electric motor powers rear axle and ICE front axle)? Makes me wonder how well this hybrid AWD works in practice, so far reviews I've seen reported uneven transition from electric to ICE.

Last edited:
I was interested in the new hybrid xc90 until I saw the price, and for that price you might as well get a tesla.

Not really, with every option except premium sound, the XC90 comes in at around $80k, it's about 60% more than that for the X fully loaded.

• SRP$ 79,200
  • Destination Fee$ 995
  • Total MSRP (including destination fee)$ 80,195

REQUEST A QUOTE
PAYMENT ESTIMATOR

PRINT/PDF

Exterior

• 20 x 9.0 - 10-Spoke Tinted Silver Diamond Cut Alloy Wheels

Interior

• Heated Steering Wheel
  • Linear Walnut Wood Inlays

Powertrains

• T8 Twin Engine Plug-in Hybrid
$ 68,100​

Trims

Packages

• Climate Package
  • Convenience Package
  • Vision Package
$ 4,650​

Options

• 4-corner Air Suspension (Requires Convenience Pkg $1800)
  • Integrated, Center Booster Cushion, 2nd row
  • Graphical Head-up Display (HUD)
$ 2,95​

I am actually going to test drive an xc90 t6 soon. Pricing is all relative. Sure the T8 is cheaper than an MX90 by a good margin, but it's also 15-20k more than a normal T6 power train. For what the T8 is and the driving that I do, I just don't see enough added value to make the jump to the T8.

I get closer to $90k, when adding their styling package...and without HUD (since Tesla doesn't offer it).

rHUi3u3.png

I followed the XC90 really closely before it was unveiled. Then I saw the pitiful 10 cubic feet of cargo room behind the third row. It definitely won't work for our family of 7. Although I'm not sure the Model X is big enough either. (When is Tesla going to actually release the specs???) I think there is a bit more than 10 cu ft at the back especially since there is area that drops down. Our Sienna has 40cu ft behind the third row, the only thing that comes close to that in SUV land is a extended Yukon/Suburban/Escallade.

Our Model S with the third row does just fine for trips around town etc. For our 2nd family vehicle I think I'll probably have to stick with minivans, or if we end up going on a lot of trips etc. a diesel Sprinter might end up being the vehicle of choice.

How did you figure 10 cubic feet.? The Audi Q7 is 10. US news has the XC90 as 15.4, quoted below with link. 15.4 is on par if not better than most other 3 row SUV's in this same size grouping (toyota highlander, honda pilot, CX9, acura MDX, audi Q7, etc...)

"The 2016 Volvo XC90 has 85.7 cubic feet of cargo space behind the first row, 41.8 cubic feet behind the second row and 15.4 cubic feet behind the third row." http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Volvo_XC90/Interior/

I note this on the Volvo European delivery site:

Overseas Delivery XC90 T8 and other models sold out for Model Year 2016
October 7, 2015 - All Model Year 2016 XC90 T8 Plug-in Hybrid models allocated to the Overseas Delivery program have been sold out. The XC90 T6 is still available. If you would like to order an XC90 T8 via Overseas Delivery you will have to wait until details are released for the 2017 Volvo XC90 next spring. Deliveries should begin at the factory in the summer of 2016.
These Volvo models are also sold out for the 2016 Model Year via Overseas Delivery: S60 T6 AWD R-Design, V60 T6 AWD R-Design, XC60 T6 AWD and XC60 T6 AWD R-Design. The 2016 S60 T5, V60 T5, and XC60 T5 models are still available.

Link

Not really, with every option except premium sound, the XC90 comes in at around $80k, it's about 60% more than that for the X fully loaded.

Yeah I guess I should have mentioned that if I were to get an X, I would probably get something close to the base model, so for me in that case the math is fairly close. And sg021 said it a more succinctly than me "I just don't see enough added value to make the jump to the T8", if my mind if I was going to do that I'd just get the Tesla.

The T6 version is a much more attractive deal. These "add a battery to an ICE car" setups are really pricey for what you get. If purchasing, I expect the resale will be terrible.

I do think the XC90 is great and the minimalist interior is well done. As a full EV I would prefer it to the MX.

Yeah I guess I should have mentioned that if I were to get an X, I would probably get something close to the base model, so for me in that case the math is fairly close. And sg021 said it a more succinctly than me "I just don't see enough added value to make the jump to the T8", if my mind if I was going to do that I'd just get the Tesla.

I'll also add the other thing I like about the Volvo better than the X is the rear doors. This is just personal preference and I'm sure the wing doors actually work great, but for me just having a Tesla badge alone is enough of an attention getter (or too much really), and wing doors are just kind of over the top (although I'm the type that's happy to drive a ten year old Subaru as long as it works well).

I've been thinking about a XC90 T8 versus a Tesla but decided against it. The XC90 has a great look (better than Model-X IMO), really nice interior but it's still an ICE. Tiny 87 HP electric motor that maxes out at 50MPH and takes forever getting you there with 16 mile range isn't really comparable to a Tesla. IMO if you go electric, go all the way.

I am actually going to test drive an xc90 t6 soon. Pricing is all relative. Sure the T8 is cheaper than an MX90 by a good margin, but it's also 15-20k more than a normal T6 power train. For what the T8 is and the driving that I do, I just don't see enough added value to make the jump to the T8.

When considering price, don't forget that the XC90 T8 has a Federal Tax Credit of just under $5000.
The Model X is $7500.

Individual states may also have incentives...but unfortunately none here in Florida.

When considering price, don't forget that the XC90 T8 has a Federal Tax Credit of just under $5000.
The Model X is $7500..
This shows how misguided the tax credit law is. It only takes a few electrons to qualify for the base credit, and it rapidly increases to maxing out at the size of the original Volt battery. GM lobbying was responsible for that of course, so a real EV with a larger battery wouldn't be eligible for a larger credit than the Volt.