Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone considering tint for their Model X (when it finally arrives)? I'd like to color/shade match the driver's and front passenger's side windows to that of the rear/side windows for a continues/monolithic appearance. It looks like the back windows come factory tinted like many other cars on the market - not sure of specs however. Any thoughts or experience in this area from Model S owners?

Silver Model X.png

Window Tint laws for each of the 50 States

I wonder what happens if you have your windows tinted in a state that allows darker and then move to another state which doesn't allow as dark? Assuming ticket...
Presuming they test or check. It seems to me like it's a step or two below the front plate law. At least here in Washington.

Having had an illegal level of tint on my front windows for a few years I was never pulled over for it.

The Police have testers... they are not making an issue of whether it is 35% vs. 37%. They target "limo-tint" or blackout tinted windows. So modest tints have little to worry about. Most will only test, if they can't see into the car. That is the issue for the Police when making a traffic stop.

They will either impound the car, or make the driver remove the tint.

I wonder what happens if you have your windows tinted in a state that allows darker and then move to another state which doesn't allow as dark? Assuming ticket...

Yes, ticket. This has been tested a number of times and courts have (rightfully) refused to interpret the full faith and credit clause to apply to aftermarket vehicle modifications.

As others have pointed out, given that this is an officer safety issue and, for the most part, no one cares so long as they can see the driver through the window.

There are so many tens of thousands of cars here in Southern CA that have dark tint on every window (including the windshield) that it's a complete joke. You get the tint ticket when you get pulled over for something else, like speeding in your P90D, not just for driving with tinted windows. I've had tint on all my cars for the past eight years and never received a ticket for it. Granted, once in a while some poor sap might draw the short straw and get a cop in a bad mood who hasn't met his/her quota, but otherwise you can tint here and not worry about it. Don't know about other states, though.

I highly recommend Hüper Optik ceramic film for your tint since it has the best visibility for the driver and has excellent heat reduction. It also doesn't interfere with electronics or antennae. I generally use 40% on all windows except my windshield. Considering how large the Model X windshield is, I may consider putting a 70% film on it if I discover the CA sun wins that contest.

• Informative
Reactions: emchen
I highly recommend Hüper Optik ceramic film for your tint since it has the best visibility for the driver and has excellent heat reduction. It also doesn't interfere with electronics or antennae. I generally use 40% on all windows except my windshield. Considering how large the Model X windshield is, I may consider putting a 70% film on it if I discover the CA sun wins that contest.

Thanks for the tip ..will definitely look into it.

Presuming they test or check. It seems to me like it's a step or two below the front plate law. At least here in Washington.

Having had an illegal level of tint on my front windows for a few years I was never pulled over for it.

(Also in WA state) I would tend to agree with both aspects. We have never had an issue with tint matching back windows (darker than the 35% limit here), but my friend and I _were_ pulled over last year for a missing front plate. Granted, it was my friend's obnoxiously colored M3 convertible so he was asking for it already.

I'm pretty sure they key is that if you are pulled over, roll down the damned windows so the officer doesn't have to wonder what you're doing - make it a non-issue.

Anyone considering tint for their Model X (when it finally arrives)? I'd like to color/shade match the driver's and front passenger's side windows to that of the rear/side windows for a continues/monolithic appearance. It looks like the back windows come factory tinted like many other cars on the market - not sure of specs however. Any thoughts or experience in this area from Model S owners?

View attachment 102904

First X I've seen in silver, which I ordered. THANKS!!!

Did that. I avoided the ticket by having the tint removed within a specified time frame and bringing the car by a local station for confirmation. PITA, but better than paying the fine for not doing so.

View attachment 102904
I spent an embarrassing amount of time mulling over which tint to put on my S. I ended up getting Prestige Film's Photosync 75% on the windshield (soooo worth it!) and 45% on all other windows because it had the highest heat rejection performance that I could find while still allowing a good amount of light into the car. It's been a year and I still love it!

Photosync has a solar adaptive coating, which darkens a bit (~5%) when sunlight hits it. Here are the performance stats according to the manufacturer: PhotoSync® - Prestige Film Technologies

I live in Houston, TX and paid just over $1K.

I'll be contacting Tesla to see if the entire windshield comes tinted, but I doubt it. I suspect it's just the darkened part above/behind your head. If so, we'll be getting Photosync 75% put on the windshield.