Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model Y 19" vs 20" Decision Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not? According to the information on tire rack, the 255/45/R20 will fit a rim width from 8 to 9.5 inches, the 20" induction is 9.5" wide.

View attachment 593350

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ll=Blackwall&partnum=545WR0CCPSUVXL&tab=Sizes

Perhaps there could be an issue since the overall tire diameter is 29" (instead of 28") with clearance/rubbing in the wheel wells when the front wheels are turned all the way?

I am very interested in the 20" wheel set up (likely aftermarket such as 8.5" Martians) with the 255/45/20 Michelin Cross Climates assuming they will work on the Y.

They rub, as per my local tire shop. Plus, they're beyond the 3% variance so my local tire shop will not install them unless I sign a waiver.

If you can have them fit, this would be fabulous.

Throwing off the speedo is not a huge issue, but unfortunately, 255/45/R20s do not fit on stock 20" induction rims.

Perhaps it will fit in your aftermarket TST rims? Can you ask them and find out?
They rub, as per my local tire shop. Plus, they're beyond the 3% variance so my local tire shop will not install them unless I sign a waiver.

If you can have them fit, this would be fabulous.

I went and looked at the clearances (I currently have the 19" OEM wheels with OEM Continental tires installed). The tightest clearance seems to be between the upper control arm and the tire surface, approx 5/8th to 3/4". If the tire diameter increased by an inch (so 0.5" in the radius), they might still fit without contacting the upper control arm with 1/8th to 1/4" to spare? Seems close and I wouldn't want to damage the tire or suspension parts or pay to have tires, wheels, TPS that won't work.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Are most people who get aftermarket wheels, just going with Gemini and selling the wheel + tire combo? Or are they putting the tire on aftermarket 19" wheels and selling only the wheels? I'm assuming 20" aftermarkets are for people who just want a more aggressive look, but it seems from pictures that 19" sized wheels still look like they go with a model Y in terms of looks.

I am most likely getting these tires for my 20" induction wheels.

Note that 255/45/R20 will NOT fit our vehicles.

245/45/R20 would fit, but barely. I'll test it out and will report back.

Neither the 255/50/R19 and 225/45/R19 would fit our Model Y. Just an FYI.

I regret going with the 20-in induction wheels now because of the 9.5-in rim. I also want to do a 245/45/20 but it will look way too stretched. I wanted more of an all-weather tire to fill the wheel gap. If I had it to do over I would get an aftermarket wheel that is 9 in wide and get the tires I really want.

I've asked this a couple times but haven't got an answer. How about a 275/40/20 tire. Would that fit?

Also, can you elaborate why the 255/45/20 will not fit? That was also an option I was considering.

I regret going with the 20-in induction wheels now because of the 9.5-in rim. I also want to do a 245/45/20 but it will look way too stretched. I wanted more of an all-weather tire to fill the wheel gap. If I had it to do over I would get an aftermarket wheel that is 9 in wide and get the tires I really want.

I've asked this a couple times but haven't got an answer. How about a 275/40/20 tire. Would that fit?

Also, can you elaborate why the 255/45/20 will not fit? That was also an option I was considering.

255/45/20 is too big and will result in greater than 3% variance. Local tire shop do not recommend it as they also say that it will rub and cause more issues further down.

245/45/20 fits, however.

Michelin Cross climate come in 245/45/20 and it would be a great tire for all weather situation including snow and ince.

I'm leaning towards 245/45/20 with Michelin all weather tires myself.

I went and looked at the clearances (I currently have the 19" OEM wheels with OEM Continental tires installed). The tightest clearance seems to be between the upper control arm and the tire surface, approx 5/8th to 3/4". If the tire diameter increased by an inch (so 0.5" in the radius), they might still fit without contacting the upper control arm with 1/8th to 1/4" to spare? Seems close and I wouldn't want to damage the tire or suspension parts or pay to have tires, wheels, TPS that won't work.

Too risky going with 255/45/20 and I agree with the tire shop experts.

Plus, don't forget the variance in diameter is greater than 3% which is also a big no-no.

245/45/20 would be a good compromise if you cannot find 255/40/20 tires that you like.

255/45/20 is too big and will result in greater than 3% variance. Local tire shop do not recommend it as they also say that it will rub and cause more issues further down.

245/45/20 fits, however.

Michelin Cross climate come in 245/45/20 and it would be a great tire for all weather situation including snow and ince.

I'm leaning towards 245/45/20 with Michelin all weather tires myself.

Plus, don't forget the variance in diameter is greater than 3% which is also a big no-no.

245/45/20 would be a good compromise if you cannot find 255/40/20 tires that you like.

265/40/20 was another size I was considering. Only a plus 1% variance. Wonder if that would be enough to make a difference visually? The extra width would cut down on my range, although I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make?

Ideally I'd like to do the nokian WRG3 but the sizes are limited.

Appreciate all of the knowledge!

UPDATE (Sept 16, 2020): I've found a set of lookalike Induction rims, which I've ordered for my winter tires. Without having them yet, I'm seriously reconsidering what decision I would have made if I had to order again. See the "Lookalikes" section for more details.

Just so you know. The r241 is not a "replica" or "lookalike" of induction wheels. They are replicas of tesla turbine wheels (found on the model s). Tsportline also makes a similar wheel called the tst, but no doubt, the r241 looks better, is significantly cheaper, and very well built. I ran the r241 on my model 3 dual motor and they were excellent. The wheels are actually flow formed which means they're light weight and strong. You should actually feel an improvement in how the model y drives, going to the lighter setup.

FYI #2 - there's already someone running the 19's on their model y. Personally, it looks too small on the Y and I think 20 in that style wheel is the way to go.

Just so you know. The r241 is not a "replica" or "lookalike" of induction wheels. They are replicas of tesla turbine wheels (found on the model s). Tsportline also makes a similar wheel called the tst, but no doubt, the r241 looks better, is significantly cheaper, and very well built. I ran the r241 on my model 3 dual motor and they were excellent. The wheels are actually flow formed which means they're light weight and strong. You should actually feel an improvement in how the model y drives, going to the lighter setup.

FYI #2 - there's already someone running the 19's on their model y. Personally, it looks too small on the Y and I think 20 in that style wheel is the way to go.

They’re not an exact match, but they look a lot more like the Inductions to me.

The Uberturbines have curved spokes while the Inductions and R241s have straight.

And the Inductions and R241s have 10 spikes, while the Uberturbines have 11.

Spacing seems to more closely match the Inductions too.

69B64D69-4553-4B94-917B-6CCA807E5D04.jpeg
0036D0E7-5819-408F-B6C3-98E19C14EA53.jpeg
10A83D69-4EE0-4707-92FB-77B6ADC2AEDE.jpeg

And I like the look of the 19s fine. Definitely prefer the reduced pot hole risk and WAY cheaper tires compared to the 20” versions.

Here’s the 19s:

23C14AED-F09F-4018-8541-DC480FD6C4AC.jpeg
AE4697BD-60D4-4EDA-ACB1-6F0CB50F7FF5.jpeg

Although you’re right that I’m more happy I went with the Inductions for my summer wheels.

Last edited:
  • Helpful

The Uberturbines have curved spokes while the Inductions and R241s have straight.

I didn't say they were like uberturbines. I said they were like tesla turbine wheels from a model S. You're new here but the turbine wheel has existed for years....

IMG-77061.jpg

Yeah, I would have immediately pulled those off and put on a new set of 20x9s with the $2K I saved. They would be hanging on the wall next to my 18s from my M3.

Ahhh I'm tracking with you now. Yeah - and I think the stock geminis will be easily resold as performance owners probably would buy them up for winter wheels or year round wheels. THen you can take the sale of your geminis plus $2000 saved to get a real nice set of aftermarket wheels which are lighter and allow you to run a 245/40/20.

I still think its ridiculous that tesla doesn't offer an alternative to the uberturbines if you're getting a performance upgrade Y. If I got a performance Y, I'd take them off almost immediately - but then its like, who is going to want to buy them? Resale will be low.

That was my dilemma here in Colorado. Very few folks will order the 21-inch Ubers here IMO. I've run winter / summer setups for years but I feel like I'm the exception. I don't know how easy it would be to sell the Gemini's here TBH. Wish I would have put a little more thought into it.

Makes me wonder though, why did Tesla do 9.5 in width across all sizes on the Y? The M3 wheels are all 8.5 in. Was it simply to accommodate the 255 width tire still have some stretch? I assume the added weight plus higher center of gravity would affect the cornering so maybe the lower profile tire plus the wider rim was nevessary?

Last edited:
265/40/20 was another size I was considering. Only a plus 1% variance. Wonder if that would be enough to make a difference visually? The extra width would cut down on my range, although I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make?

Ideally I'd like to do the nokian WRG3 but the sizes are limited.

Appreciate all of the knowledge!

They're too wide to fit the stock rims. Aftermarket rims *may* fit but you'll need to test it first.

Only tire size that I know for sure that fits stock 20" rims are 245/45/20.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sixth
Ahhh I'm tracking with you now. Yeah - and I think the stock geminis will be easily resold as performance owners probably would buy them up for winter wheels or year round wheels. THen you can take the sale of your geminis plus $2000 saved to get a real nice set of aftermarket wheels which are lighter and allow you to run a 245/40/20.

I still think its ridiculous that tesla doesn't offer an alternative to the uberturbines if you're getting a performance upgrade Y. If I got a performance Y, I'd take them off almost immediately - but then its like, who is going to want to buy them? Resale will be low.

This is the only reason I am not jumping on a performance Y right now. Tesla used to offer the performance Y with no PUP and induction wheels for a short time. I wish they would have brought back that option.
On a side note, how much do you think the Gemini wheel tire and wheel package would be worth ?

View attachment 593531 View attachment 593523 View attachment 593530

And I like the look of the 19s fine. Definitely prefer the reduced pot hole risk and WAY cheaper tires compared to the 20” versions.

Here’s the 19s:

View attachment 593544 View attachment 593545

Although you’re right that I’m more happy I went with the Inductions for my summer wheels.

Lovin those replika rims

Could you link exactly which one you purchased? I know 19 x8.5 but what's the PCD and bore?

Also, did you purchase these online and which website? 1010 tires is all sold out!

Thanks in advance!

I like the grey...was thinking of going inductions but maybe I will get the Geminis and swap them out with these. If the inductions came in grey instead of black I would just stick with the inductions. Although, not a huge fan of the logo in the middle. would rather have a Tesla logo or nothing.

Wonder how these would impact the range compared to geminis and inductions?