Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2170 vs 4680

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who is "they"? Yet another Youtuber speculating isn't "disclosure".
One of the problems with Tesla's lack of a PR department is a lot of mis-information gets spread around as people try to read between the lines.

I suspect a lot of people are referring to this tweet from Elon.

I don't think Tesla is going to chase 500 miles of range on the Model Y either.

I was reminded that the new S/X comes with the original 1860 batteries and look at the specs/performance Tesla has extracted from that format. It's essentially about the chemistry inside that matters most. So IMHO 2170 batteries shouldn't be considered a step down from the 4680 in terms of raw specs. So my LUST for the 4680 has been tempered by reality.

Reactions: KeylynsParadox
Tesla is making 2170 packaging to slot into the structural bodies on the newer Model Ys out of Texas. Seems likely it's going to be a long time before you can guarantee you are getting those 4680 cells. They gotta do something with all those 2170s coming from Panasonic.
I just ordered one of these on 02/05 for $52,990 (before the tax credit) I thought it was a LR… but now I’m wondering if it’s better to get a 4680 early???

I just ordered one of these on 02/05 for $52,990 (before the tax credit) I thought it was a LR… but now I’m wondering if it’s better to get a 4680 early???
I think it’s fine.

Though I mis-spoke previously. They are not dropping the 2170s into a body designed for a structural pack, they design the bodies slightly differently for the 2170s even in Texas.

You can't order a car with 4680's. The only way to get one is if Tesla reaches out to you and asks you if you want one. And it won't be a 'LR'.
Though you can't order one, they have been appearing in "inventory" pretty regularly for the past few weeks, none today in my area - it appears they're making 4680 M3s at the moment. IIRC the Model Y had 20" wheels, 270ish mile range, driven less than 50 miles, 5 seater, no tow and listed for $52,990. I have seen several MYLR buyers switch to the dual motor, 4680, standard range inventory cars.

Though you can't order one, they have been appearing in "inventory" pretty regularly for the past few weeks, none today in my area - it appears they're making 4680 M3s at the moment. IIRC the Model Y had 20" wheels, 270ish mile range, driven less than 50 miles, 5 seater, no tow and listed for $52,990. I have seen several MYLR buyers switch to the dual motor, 4680, standard range inventory cars.
You're correct, I had forgotten that. But depending on where one is located, you could have to pay a pretty hefty delivery charge on top. And I've also noticed the caveat that some cars can only be registered in certain states. Only MYLR's available w/in 200 miles of me at the moment.

You can't order a car with 4680's. The only way to get one is if Tesla reaches out to you and asks you if you want one. And it won't be a 'LR'.
You are wrong. Respectfully.
Simply do a Google Search on Model Y AWF Standard Range and you will see that Tesla has been dumping a significant number of Standard Range AWD Model Y’s in beginning of February, in “Existing Inventory”.
Though from what I can tell they have stopped.

I didn’t actually realize it was one of the new 4680’s and standard range until after I ordered and someone on here pointed this out.

1677538802246.png

Boom there it is 💅🏻

Simply do a Google Search on Model Y AWF Standard Range and you will see that Tesla has been dumping a significant number of Standard Range AWD Model Y’s in beginning of February, in “Existing Inventory”.

I didn’t actually realize it was one of the new 4680’s and standard range until after I ordered and someone on here pointed this out.

View attachment 912069
Boom there it is 💅🏻

Picking a car from existing inventory is not "ordering it" as we mean the term.

You cannot go to Tesla's site, design a MYAWD with your preferred colors, interior, tow, wheels, etc and "order" it. You can simply see an already-built one up for offer.

Reactions: E90alex
Dude you should change this to Custom Order.
View attachment 912131

If you want to die on this particular dictionary hill, feel free.

Most of us understand "place and order for a Tesla" as meaning you go design the car YOU want and Tesla goes and makes it for you.

Conversely "accepting an inventory car" involves Tesla designing a car THEY want, building it, and then you decide you want to accept whatever they made while it sits on a lot.

Reactions: E90alex
If you want to die on this particular dictionary hill, feel free.

Most of us understand "place and order for a Tesla" as meaning you go design the car YOU want and Tesla goes and makes it for you.

Conversely "accepting an inventory car" involves Tesla designing a car THEY want, building it, and then you decide you want to accept whatever they made while it sits on a lot.
That’s why they send Order Confirmation and Order Agreement because both are orders. What a knob.
There’s the nice Tesla people, a large majority and then… there is you 🤷🏼‍♀️
Maybe it’s that I’m female.
Because the way you’re using the word order isn’t correct unless you say Custom order. Period.

That’s why they send Order Confirmation and Order Agreement because both are orders. What a knob.
There’s the nice Tesla people, a large majority and then… there is you 🤷🏼‍♀️
Maybe it’s that I’m female.
Because the way you’re using the word order isn’t correct unless you say Custom order. Period.

Thanks for not reading anything I said. Good luck with your "order" you found sitting on a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: tradosaurus
Thanks for not reading anything I said. Good luck with the "order" you had Tesla build for you.
Bruh. Tesla hasn’t done anything approaching “custom orders” in years. Everything is batch produced. All there really is to choose these days is colors, wheels, and whether you want the sucker bit flipped for $15k. Then you get matched up to a car already on the production schedule.

Thanks for not reading anything I said. Good luck with your "order" you found sitting on a lot.
What a Scrooge. You must be really happy in life. 🤡
One of those combative types that just likes to poo all over nice people.
Whether you pick your options or you pick one up off a lot, the resale value is the same.

You’re just a hater and loser.
Maybe you paid a lot more, who knows, but you’re def an unhappy person.
The bell curve is scary 🙈👽🖖

• Disagree
Reactions: tradosaurus

View attachment 912069
Boom there it is 💅🏻
Guess you missed my post above where I was corrected and admitted it. Respectfully.