Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y / 3 comparison - same same but different?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a RWD Y on 19" wheels today, after having had my SR+ since November and came away surprised at how similar they are.

Getting behind the wheel the first thing that noticed was the slightly higher seating position in the Y. It requires less of drop when getting in and on the road provides slightly better visibility than the 3. The way the driver is positioned gives the 3 a more sporty feel as you feel lower to the ground (not Mx-5 low but along those lines), whilst the Y is more like a Subaru XV height rather than a large SUV.

Despite the slightly higher ride, at street speeds the handling dynamics felt very similar to the 3, and it's impressive that they kept that same planted feeling that the 3 gives you in the Y. The big question mark that I had was on the ride, and I found it to be slightly firmer to the 3 on 18” wheels, but it didn’t feel like there was a lot of difference. It's firm, but rides way better than a Lexus NX for example, and the handling is much more car-like.

Acceleration was interesting as it comes in differently to my Unicorn 3. Off the line the Y in Standard mode was like a Unicorn in chill mode, it's willing and has enough to hold its own in normal traffic conditions. What was interesting was that after the initial launch it feels like it comes on slightly stronger than the initial launch, say from around 30 km/h it gets a second wind. Unless you need something to beat the baseball cap on backwards set at the traffic lights, it's fast enough, and certainly feels far more nimble than it's 0-100km/h time suggests.

The front feels identical to the 3 except that you notice you're perched higher, the rear seats in the Y will be more comfortable for any teenagers and above on long trips mainly due to the higher seat base offering more under thigh support. There's no contest in the boot size, however I noticed that the cavernous rear in the Y produces a slight boomy sound on rough roads that you don't get in the 3.

The minor differences between the two surprised me in that they were so close. The 3 will always be the more rewarding drivers car, with plenty of practicality. The Y makes the perfect swiss army knife for accommodating whatever I need it to do. The Y feels more like a hot wagon than an SUV, and doesn't feel like it's given away much in the pursuit of space and practicality. I'll likely end up keeping the 3 when the Y is delivered and end up alternating the cars between my wife and I, but strangely this conclusion feels almost too practical.

Drove a Y SR+ on 19's today too. I would disagree and say that the differences are not minor at all (apart from the tech and style). IMHO the seating position in the Y is way more than "slightly" higher than the 3. To confirm this I got in / out of a 3 in the showroom and went straight to the Y and it is significantly different / higher in the Y. Far easier to get in/out of the Y than the 3. The Y's extra width & length and space inside is very noticeable too. I felt the Y is quieter and the suspension is softer than the 3. I think the suspension still could be even softer for more of that SUV vibe and still not compromise handling too much. One of my primary dislikes of the 3 was just how low the seating position is and so this was a main focus area for me in the test drive today.

Thanks for the sharing the experience, we are yet to test drive one and would be interesting to see how it compares
For now we continue to enjoy our model 3 even though on some days suspension feels bumpier than normal
Might revisit the Y next year since we were too slow ordering on the day

Reactions: Maximillan
Drove a Y SR+ on 19's today too. I would disagree and say that the differences are not minor at all (apart from the tech and style). IMHO the seating position in the Y is way more than "slightly" higher than the 3. To confirm this I got in / out of a 3 in the showroom and went straight to the Y and it is significantly different / higher in the Y. Far easier to get in/out of the Y than the 3. The Y's extra width & length and space inside is very noticeable too. I felt the Y is quieter and the suspension is softer than the 3. I think the suspension still could be even softer for more of that SUV vibe and still not compromise handling too much. One of my primary dislikes of the 3 was just how low the seating position is and so this was a main focus area for me in the test drive today.

I haven't bothered with a test drive but agree, the seating height is significantly higher. Its much easier to get in and out of. The rear door openings are much larger and the rear leg room is significantly greater, although the seat cusion length is still too short in the rear. I'm only 5'10 or so, and I can tell it would be annoying for taller people. The glass roof looks much more spectacular without the centre brace, however, glass roof means nothing to me and I would still save money on a steel roof if it were available (at least offer an electric blind). Ahhhh... still no advanced features of seat heater buttons in the rear.

I alternate between SR+ and Performance as my regular driver. Ordered a RWD and Performance to fulfil the family duties and intend to sell both the 3s. 2nd thoughts now after driving the Y. Ride is not as compliant as the 3. Acceleration is not quite there compared to the 3, though faster than most ICE cars. After owning the 3, the acceleration wow factor is no longer there for me? Might be different to those coming from ICE cars. I will now sell the SR+ and keep the 3 Performance.

Agree with most of your observations after my MY RWD test drive. Seat height was not a surprise but as others said its the entry and exit that is significant between any sedan and SUV.
The ride quality seemed really good to me and didn’t understand all those negative reviews, although i come from Renault Koleos 2015. What is the expectation that you shouldn’t feel any bumps on road? Seems a bit ridiculous

Agree 100%

Test drove a 3 in jan and didnt think much of it whatsoever both the wife and i

The y is so different

The interior is better finished

The seating is far far better ,
i did the same getting into the 3 in the showroom
Drop right down into the drivers seat
No room in the back and your knees up to your ears

At the end we quite liked the y as a car and didnt really find a whole lot bad with it

I did find the supension lacking , breaks in the road it hits very hard with a sharp thud , the compression dampening is way to hard , fine for a performance car but not for a family suv

Wife found the suspension worse sitting in the back

The gemini covers suck , i actually like the wheels without the covers , so those covers will be frisbee into the garage

Reactions: Leeroy
Finally took a test drive of model Y
20 inch wheels
First impressions?
As others mentioned more like an SUV, height better, seems bigger and more spacious
Handling wise just feels like a bigger car quick enough but kind of prefer the 3.
The bigger wheels even though look better seems to highlight every bump
Ended up with squeaky wipers and really 30min not enough to really experience the car properly.
The rear window even if smaller seemed adequate and quickly got used to it

Comment from my daughter who sat in the back is that there is more room. She preferred it to the 3. Seems odd though that when you get in the back, seat still feel lower that front. Probably because of no adjustment

Verdict?? I would have both, but sticking to the 3 for now

I am considering a model 3, but worry that the front seats are too low for an older person to get in and out of.
Getting out is the hardest for my wife.
We have Kona a EV which is perfect for her, but the model 3 is maybe 5" lower.

the 3 is very low

reminded me of sportscars when i was younger

its very noticable when you go into the showroom and try them both

Have to agree with the Model 3 being low. It's hard for my mother (77 years old) and my wife also complains. That said it's the exception rather than the rule and more the majority of my personal use case, the 3 is fine but a more comfortable height the Y is the better choice for most I think, which probably explains why it's the most popular Tesla.

I am considering a model 3, but worry that the front seats are too low for an older person to get in and out of.
Getting out is the hardest for my wife.
We have Kona a EV which is perfect for her, but the model 3 is maybe 5" lower.
For my Model Y I found that I don't need Easy Entry turned on, it's very easy to get in and out of. I've got it enabled for my Model 3, and it's no easier in the back seat of the 3 for elderly passengers.