Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y : AC Replacement $3800-4200 (Common Issue)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so frustrated with my 2020 Model Y. The AC has gone warm, and Tesla says they don't service contaminated systems. Their only option is to replace the entire AC system for $4,000. I'm considering selling my Tesla because I feel like I paid $60k for a cheaply built car. Meanwhile, I'm researching the replacement costs with a Tesla certified body shop. I hope to get this cost down to $2k.

Ok, any questions or just a rant? It's a car, things go wrong. I would suggest going to another shop. AC is pretty simple and not subject to just an EV, any shop with some skillz should be able to diagnose the issue (slight Napoleon Dynamite reference). You are in CA so I'm sure there are some options.

I'm so frustrated with my 2020 Model Y. The AC has gone warm, and Tesla says they don't service contaminated systems. Their only option is to replace the entire AC system for $4,000. I'm considering selling my Tesla because I feel like I paid $60k for a cheaply built car. Meanwhile, I'm researching the replacement costs with a Tesla certified body shop. I hope to get this cost down to $2k.
Making that extended warranty sound like a good choice. One AC replacement and it would have already paid for itself.
AC units go bad on every car, you just got unlucky it was you.

I would suggest going to another shop. AC is pretty simple and not subject to just an EV, any shop with some skillz should be able to diagnose the issue (slight Napoleon Dynamite reference).

Really? That car has an octovalve. You think any old shop is going to get those parts from Tesla and work on that car?

They'd also have to be comfortable with high voltage, or at least know enough to avoid any of it.

Perhaps in CA it's common, but I wouldn't bring mine to anyone but Tesla for the A/C in my neck of the woods. Tires, sure.

NOBODY services “contaminated” AC systems because it’s a waste of money. If you had a catastrophic compressor failure the only real solution is to replace it and pretty much everything else. Any leftover metal debris and contaminants will just destroy the new compressor too.