Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

retrofit Projector headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

everydaychris

Feb 10, 2020
CA
Would anyone buy these??

IF so, what questions would you guys have? THey look so sexy and the light output is supposed to be WAY better

Who wants to see an installation video??

As someone who has a vision only car, I’m all for improving my visibility.

Honestly though, I’m not impressed with the light output of these, at least from the pictures. Id rather have an OEM matrix retrofit, but I know that will never happen. Something like these might just have to do

Reactions: everydaychris
Coming from the Tacoma community, I can tell you AlphaRex is garbage. When testing light output lumens, their products are garbage. To the naked eye a whole bunch of light looks good, but when testing their headlights with equipment, they were on par or worse then stock halogen headlights.
You can find the same headlights branded as AlphaRex on Alibaba for 1/2 the price usually.

Would anyone buy these??

IF so, what questions would you guys have? THey look so sexy and the light output is supposed to be WAY better

Who wants to see an installation video??
I'd like to see a before and after on the road light output comparison video. A couple hot spots on a wall like Kim and Tsport both did, really tell us nothing practical.

If you can prove they have improved output in the real world, and don't suffer in some other dynamic like width, I'll buy them via your affiliate link.

Here’s a picture from the headlight guru in the Tacoma forums.
EB5C49A8-CD63-4474-A62F-3D14742A66C2.jpeg

An AlphaRex headlight is on the left and a Morimoto headlight on the right. The AlphaRex has all foreground light which looks good to the eye and gives a false impression that they are bright. They impair your nighttime distance vision sine they offer all their light in the foreground. A good headlight will have little foreground light and increase in intensity to the cutoff so you don’t outrun your headlights.

I'd like to see a before and after on the road light output comparison video. A couple hot spots on a wall like Kim and Tsport both did, really tell us nothing practical.

If you can prove they have improved output in the real world, and don't suffer in some other dynamic like width, I'll buy them via your affiliate link.
trying to put alot of real world thought into it.

Here’s a picture from the headlight guru in the Tacoma forums.
View attachment 928278
An AlphaRex headlight is on the left and a Morimoto headlight on the right. The AlphaRex has all foreground light which looks good to the eye and gives a false impression that they are bright. They impair your nighttime distance vision sine they offer all their light in the foreground. A good headlight will have little foreground light and increase in intensity to the cutoff so you don’t outrun your headlights.
do you know what series it is? I know they have a ton of different types and their newest is the nova series quad projector ones

As someone who has a vision only car, I’m all for improving my visibility.

Honestly though, I’m not impressed with the light output of these, at least from the pictures. Id rather have an OEM matrix retrofit, but I know that will never happen. Something like these might just have to do
It's overpriced at close to 2K with installation, I can't justify the cost and rather spend on some other mod

Retrofit is done!
Now my question to you all:
What's more important? Brighter lights with a narrow beam pattern? Or dimmer lights with a wider beam pattern?
This is with fog lights OFF.
The alpha rex are SUPER bright.
Installation was actually not difficult either. Removing the front bumper I thought it might be a challenge but tesla makes it easy.

Retrofit is done!
Now my question to you all:
What's more important? Brighter lights with a narrow beam pattern? Or dimmer lights with a wider beam pattern?
This is with fog lights OFF.
The alpha rex are SUPER bright.
Installation was actually not difficult either. Removing the front bumper I thought it might be a challenge but tesla makes it easy.
Did you forget the pic?