Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

retrofit Projector headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Retrofit is done!
Now my question to you all:
What's more important? Brighter lights with a narrow beam pattern? Or dimmer lights with a wider beam pattern?
This is with fog lights OFF.
The alpha rex are SUPER bright.
Installation was actually not difficult either. Removing the front bumper I thought it might be a challenge but tesla makes it easy.
I would want headlights that are actually manufactured to enhance nighttime vision and not just be “bright”. This means 5,000-6,000k range, produce little to no foreground light, have a progressive, evenly distributed increasing light throw to the cutoff. The cutoff should be sharp to avoid blinding other drivers. The beam pattern shouldn’t really be wide, that’s what fog lights are supposed to calibrated for.

I have my money that the AlphaRex are all foreground light.

Reactions: DanDi58
Posting pics of lights shining on a wall is useless, as I generally try to avoid driving directly at a wall 5 feet in front of me. I also find the stock MYLR headlights are the best I've ever had on a car. Not sure what the need is to change them, unless you like the look of the all-projectors and can demonstrate conclusively that they provide better light performance.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Posting pics of lights shining on a wall is useless, as I generally try to avoid driving directly at a wall 5 feet in front of me. I also find the stock MYLR headlights are the best I've ever had on a car. Not sure what the need is to change them, unless you like the look of the all-projectors and can demonstrate conclusively that they provide better light performance.
everydaychris did post a video of side by side comparison on the road at 20:34 -
From his video, it's obvious that Stock lights are better than the aftermarket from his comparison

Reactions: DanDi58
Looking at the comparison shots starting at 20:34, you can clearly see the OEM reflector headlights outperform the AlphaRex. The AlphaRex are showing bright foreground light, but drop off drastically when it comes to distance lighting. The OEM lights provide more distance lighting, which is what you want in headlights so you can see far enough ahead to avoid hitting anything.
Everyday Chris lost all credibility with this video. Just another “influencer” who sold out to get freebies.

did you guys watch the whole video? lol.

It may not be as scientific but the alpha rex headlights were better than the reflectors in terms of light output and distance. I don't even think the reflectors did THAT well in any of the tests. The matrix projectors on the other hand did super good which is the 20:34 mark. I even said in the video don't get them if you have the projectors unless you want the nifty features.
I think with the reflectors they do a good job at the width of the beam.

Matrix PROJECTORS > Alpha Rex
Alpha REX > REFLECTORS (but reflectors still have a wider width to it)

did you guys watch the whole video? lol.

It may not be as scientific but the alpha rex headlights were better than the reflectors in terms of light output and distance. I don't even think the reflectors did THAT well in any of the tests. The matrix projectors on the other hand did super good which is the 20:34 mark. I even said in the video don't get them if you have the projectors unless you want the nifty features.
I think with the reflectors they do a good job at the width of the beam.

Matrix PROJECTORS > Alpha Rex
Alpha REX > REFLECTORS (but reflectors still have a wider width to it)
I’m not feeding your algorithm. You shilled / astroturfed this product and have dodged the affiliate link comments by a few people.

I’m not feeding your algorithm. You shilled / astroturfed this product and have dodged the affiliate link comments by a few people.
Agree, some forums actually prohibit “influencers” from promoting their videos or sites for these reasons in their forums. If you are given free products and/or get compensation for the products you pedal, it is not an unbiased review. Especially this one, the title of your video is “Get Better Tesla Headlights”, and you say multiple times how bright and great these AlphaRex headlights are. The main point of your video should be the AlphaRex headlights are overpriced and not as good as the matrix lights. I would also disagree with your interpretation that the AlphaRex provide greater distance lighting than the OEM LED reflectors. Your comparison video appears to show the AlphaRex not lighting as far ahead of the road as the reflectors. There’s a whole lot of foreground light on the AlphaRex, but not distance lighting. The 5-10 ft lumen output tests don’t mean squat since you need to see further down the road than that.

Matrix>OEM Reflector>Flashlights Taped to Hood>AlphaRex

I bought these lights. Alpha Rex headlights from @TSportline and they got bricked after one Tesla software update. They worked for one Day. Then the software update came and the lights won’t turn on. I had to drive 45 mins at night using only my fog lights. I’m running software v11.1 2023.32.4
I have a 2023 Model Y Austin made.
If you have similar situation phase share a fix.

I bought these lights. Alpha Rex headlights from @TSportline and they got bricked after one Tesla software update. They worked for one Day. Then the software update came and the lights won’t turn on. I had to drive 45 mins at night using only my fog lights. I’m running software v11.1 2023.32.4
You should be going back to @TSportline for a fix. It's up to them to keep pace with Tesla SW updates, not up to Tesla to ensure aftermarket parts work.

Wow!

That speaks volumes about the product. Even if the manufacturer kept up with software updates I suspect it will take a couple days for a patch. I commute to work 48 miles at 3:30am, don’t have time to wait for an update.

Will the update be pushed down automatically or does the end user need to do a manual update?