Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y AWD Owner Feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stated range of the standard range MY is 279 miles I believe. This equates to a "real world" of probably around 220 miles in mild weather.

What does your charging situation look like?

If you have access to Level 2 charging at home, you should be fine as you can easily recoup the miles driven in a day in a few hours. A 110v Level 1 charger on the other hand nets about 50 miles of range per night in a Model Y (~4 mlies per hour over 12 hours of charging).

I'm considering getting the AWD over the AWD LR. I consistently do about 70miles each day M-F and maybe 20 miles combined for Sat-Sun. That said I believe a AWD would work just fine for me. I am curious though what the real world range is.
Since you don't drive that far and your car won't be on a subfreezing snowy road, AWD should be fine for your needs.

I've owned a Tesla since 2012 with an initial 265-mile range, and I did fine driving from San Diego to Sacramento, San Francisco to Las Vegas.

My rule of thumb is: I need to have an additional 100 extra miles in the battery before I would leave. That means if the next charging station is 150 miles away, I won't start my trip until the battery gauge registers 250 miles.

Your energy consumption depends on how you drive (speed, wind, snow, heater...)

That said, the range is King for me, so the more extended range you can get, the more convenient it will be.

Reactions: TOM17
I'm considering getting the AWD over the AWD LR. I consistently do about 70miles each day M-F and maybe 20 miles combined for Sat-Sun. That said I believe a AWD would work just fine for me. I am curious though what the real world range is.
50 mi EPA range difference (between MYAWD and MYLR) * 85% real world range * 70% usable charge (if you keep state of charge between 15% - 85%) = real world daily 30 mile range difference (which can be increased a few miles when charged to 100%)

If you install a Level 2 charging capable outlet on a 50 amp circuit (like with a NEMA 14-50 outlet), expect around 30-33 miles of recharge per hour at 32amps. So, based on your driving of 70 miles per day, that's a tad more than 2 hours of charging per day.
And real world range on the AWD, based on all the various videos you can find on YouTube, show it to be between 210 and 230 miles. I'm sure some people can hypermil off the back of 18 wheelers and claim another 15-20 miles, but realistically, it's 210-230.

If you install a Level 2 charging capable outlet on a 50 amp circuit (like with a NEMA 14-50 outlet), expect around 30-33 miles of recharge per hour at 32amps. So, based on your driving of 70 miles per day, that's a tad more than 2 hours of charging per day.
And real world range on the AWD, based on all the various videos you can find on YouTube, show it to be between 210 and 230 miles. I'm sure some people can hypermil off the back of 18 wheelers and claim another 15-20 miles, but realistically, it's 210-230.

Agreed, the AWD has plenty of range for OP's need.

If you are spending the $$ to put in a 240V circuit for car charging make it a 60 amp circuit. 60 amp circuit is needed if you decide to get a 48Amp Level 2 240V EVSE (correctly called charger). 49Amps is the max the model Y can take currently. I got an outdoor 60 amp socket in a weathertight enclosure. I plug my OpenEVSE brand "charger" in to the 60 Amp socket. Tesla's "hardwired" EVSE is also 48Amp and would require 60Amp circuit.

If you follow Tesla's recommendation and only charge to < 90% for daily driving then the range will be limited to how far you can drive starting at 90% until the battery state of charge (SOC) is at your low SOC tolerance level. (My low SOC tolerance level is 20% as this equates to ~50 miles of remaining range.) Starting with 279 miles, assuming that number is wacked, and using 90% or 251 miles. 70% of 251 miles is 176 miles. I would be confident the Tesla Model Y could travel 176 miles and still have a remaining range of ~50 miles when the SOC was at 20%. If you are comfortable driving until there is a 10% remaining SOC (25 miles) then you could drive 200 miles. If you are driving 70 miles per weekday you could skip a day if needed but by the third day you would need to charge.

If you follow Tesla's recommendation and only charge to < 90% for daily driving then the range will be limited to how far you can drive starting at 90% until the battery state of charge (SOC) is at your low SOC tolerance level. (My low SOC tolerance level is 20% as this equates to ~50 miles of remaining range.) Starting with 279 miles, assuming that number is wacked, and using 90% or 251 miles. 70% of 251 miles is 176 miles. I would be confident the Tesla Model Y could travel 176 miles and still have a remaining range of ~50 miles when the SOC was at 20%. If you are comfortable driving until there is a 10% remaining SOC (25 miles) then you could drive 200 miles. If you are driving 70 miles per weekday you could skip a day if needed but by the third day you would need to charge.

Thanks for sharing. I guess now its just committing to wait for the new Y or jump on another M3 when Elon drops it again next week.