Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Buffeting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So both my wife and I notice buffeting, like pulsating pressure in the ears. This comes and goes and on smooth pavement its less noticeable, but there is no doubt whatsoever that its there. In short its not pleasant and detracts from car enjoyment. I know if this was my wife's car it would have been returned just for this.

This happens with windows completely closed. Cracking open any one of the windows does not stop it.

I am wondering does anyone else experiences this? I know that for some people this is a non issue and they don't even notice it, while for others its deal breaking and very painful leading to headaches.

While researching this issue I have found numerous reports on buffeting on Model S and have found this video which advises on potential reduction of buffeting:

While trying this method I have noted that out of factory my bumpers on left hand side of hatch were not contacting lower contact points at all, while the ones on right hand side made full contact. It also looks like bumpers on left side are extended way more than the ones on right side which indicates that hatch is tilted and not closing straight.

I have talked to one user here that experiences buffeting on Model Y as well so I am wondering how prevalent this is and how to fix it.

Last edited:
So both my wife and I notice buffeting, like pulsating pressure in the ears. This comes and goes and on smooth pavement its less noticeable, but there is no doubt whatsoever that its there. In short its not pleasant and detracts from car enjoyment. I know if this was my wife's car it would have been returned just for this.

This happens with windows completely closed. Cracking open any one of the windows does not stop it.

I am wondering does anyone else experiences this? I know that for some people this is a non issue and they don't even notice it, while for others its deal breaking and very painful leading to headaches.

While researching this issue I have found numerous reports on buffeting on Model S and have found this video which advises on potential reduction of buffeting:

While trying this method I have noted that out of factory my bumpers on left hand side of hatch were not contacting lower contact points at all, while the ones on right hand side made full contact. It also looks like bumpers on left side are extended way more than the ones on right side which indicates that hatch is tilted and not closing straight.

I have talked to one user here that experiences buffeting on Model Y as well so I am wondering how prevalent this is and how to fix it.

Does the Model Y have the same adjustments on the hatch?

With the left bumper extended, not touching, and obviously a poor hatch seal I'd take it to the Service Center and get it fixed. I had my rear hatch on my X realigned after it shifted a bit. My Service Center had to get it done at a body shop, but it was a warranty fix.

@teko I experienced the same and found this to work:

There are 4 knobs on the hatch, 2 in the bottom and 2 mid-way- on my MY P, I noticed this buffeting on a drive with uneven road (took 4 days for me to notice the effect). You can mark the rubber knobs with chalk and close/open the hatch to see if they make contact by evidence of chalk transfer. If some don’t contact, adjust the knobs until all 4 do; at this point, extend the 2 bottom ones as far as possible to improve the seal, while still allowing hatch to close properly, and all 4 still in contact.

So today I installed RPMTesla noise reduction kit. This is basically adding additional seals on doors and trunk. While car did get touch quieter inside, the buffeting is still there.

Were you ever able to resolve this? Picked mine up yesterday and on the way to the office today pretty sure it was buffeting.

Had this issue after the SC aligned the tail lights/hatch etc. Was able to resolve it after a few days of tweaking, I tried the method gundarx explains and it helped but I was definitely still feeling the "buffeting".

I decided to continue to tweak, I took some sun screen (what I had close at the time) and applied a little to each knob/bump stop w.e thing, close the hatch and see which are making strong contact and which are making none to light. Noticed some making fairly strong contact, so adjusted those till they made contact but what I felt was not over done, continued this to all and then reapplied the sun screen and continued to tweak.
Took a drive to test and noticed buffeting was a lot less, continued to drive for a little then pulled over and check the knobs again with sun screen, made some small tweaks and drove again. Gone now at this point, though I did drop off my car at the SC yesterday to fix the hatch glass, so we will see if I need to make these adjustments again :(

Ok thank you! This makes sense because the SC had to adjust the hatch when I took delivery. It wasn’t closing, opening or latching correctly. I will tinker with it and see if I can correct. Thank you so much!!!

I have the same issue with our AWD Y we took delivery of last week of June. Have an appointment with service center. This will be our second service. First was to try to fix trim and back seat.

Reactions: teko
So today I installed RPMTesla noise reduction kit. This is basically adding additional seals on doors and trunk. While car did get touch quieter inside, the buffeting is still there.
Really? So how was your experience with the fit? The kit I received was over an inch short on the A pillar strips and also the front door strips. On the rear doors at the rear bottom corner it bunches on the 90 bend, no bend in the strip. And the long piece under the rear hatch is around 2 inches short on each side if you center it as per their video. Was yours different?

Reactions: CO_MY
Really? So how was your experience with the fit? The kit I received was over an inch short on the A pillar strips and also the front door strips. On the rear doors at the rear bottom corner it bunches on the 90 bend, no bend in the strip. And the long piece under the rear hatch is around 2 inches short on each side if you center it as per their video. Was yours different?

Fit was good, length was good. I did not have anything short. However even though I cleaned all surfaces with alcohol and then used the primer many strips are losing adhesion and will eventually fall off. So I would not recommend putting this on, the strips stick temporarily only.