Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y colour change after ceramic coat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m considering deep metallic blue for my new MY.

I saw a post here where someone ceramic coated their DMB MY and the blue appeared slightly darker and I really dig the colour!

I’ve read on articles that ceramic doesn’t really alter the colour.

For those of you who know anything/have a ceramic coated blue MY, does the colour really change slightly?

Thanks!

Welcome!

The color changes drastically just due to changes in lighting. Take a look at some images. I've had my blue MY for over a year and it still surprises me especially when the color gets really dark. I'd bet the color change was more due to lighting than the ceramic coating. I doubt the coating has any effect on the color. If there is a slight effect then it is probably much smaller than the color change due to lighting.

There is also a thread here dedicated to pictures of deep metallic blue Model Ys.

Upvote 0
I’m considering deep metallic blue for my new MY.

I saw a post here where someone ceramic coated their DMB MY and the blue appeared slightly darker and I really dig the colour!

I’ve read on articles that ceramic doesn’t really alter the colour.

For those of you who know anything/have a ceramic coated blue MY, does the colour really change slightly?

Thanks!
I have a deep metallic blue 2018 M3LR that I coated myself with Miyabi ceramic from Kamikaze (re-coated at the 2.5 year mark). It absolutely results in a subtle change to the color of the car, adding more depth. If the coating is not absolutely perfectly clear it will subtly affect the color of the paint.

Upvote 0
I have a deep metallic blue 2018 M3LR that I coated myself with Miyabi ceramic from Kamikaze (re-coated at the 2.5 year mark). It absolutely results in a subtle change to the color of the car, adding more depth. If the coating is not absolutely perfectly clear it will subtly affect the color of the paint.
How long did it take you to apply the ceramic? Was it worth the cost? And I’m assuming you had to do it while car was garaged, right? Thanks!

Upvote 0
How long did it take you to apply the ceramic? Was it worth the cost? And I’m assuming you had to do it while car was garaged, right? Thanks!
I got quotes from local shops to have the car coated and the cheapest quotes were $1200 and they wanted the car for 2-3 days.

I borrowed a random orbital buffer from a detailer friend and spent about 3-4 hours polishing the car after I had thoroughly washed it and clay barred it. You need to go slow, use a quality polishing compound and polisher and rotate the pads frequently.

Then I sprayed the whole car down with alcohol (Gyeon Prep) to completely remove all residues from the paint on the car. When this stage is done the car should be the cleanest it will ever look, as this is what you are locking in with the coating.

I chose Kamikaze Miyabi coating because it is a very good coating that is also very forgiving for those new to doing ceramic coatings.

Then I very carefully applied the ceramic coating and set a timer for each panel so that it set up correctly before removing it with a 2nd clean high quality microfiber cloth. Then after all of that I did a 2nd coat. You need to use very high powered lights to make sure that you've removed all the coating as if it sets up and cures with high spots (visible streaks) you will have to buff off and re do the coating on that panel (yes that happened to me).

The whole thing took me probably 8-10 hours. After completing it the car can't get wet for 24 hours so I left it in the garage.

It is a laborious process that is only for people that are detail oriented, at least if you want very good quality results. You also have to commit to always hand washing the car or using touchless car washes as running the car through an automatic wash enough times will leave lots of very noticeable scratches in the ceramic coat.

There are less serious products you can apply like any regular car wax, but they don't have the hardness, luster or dirt repelling properties of a real ceramic coating. Since my car is always garaged, the coating is good for 2-3 years per application.

Upvote 0
I did two coats of Avalon King on my blue MYP. No major color change, just deep gloss.

D25B667F-997D-4A63-AAF6-5E3B7F356191.jpeg

Upvote 0