Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y comfort suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my 2022 MY LR in Dec. 2021.
  • Has anyone heard yet if the Comfort Suspension will be offered as an upgrade for installation at Service Centers?
  • Will it be covered under warranty?
  • If not, how much would it cost with installation?
not yet offered
what warranty would it be covered under? None.
costs per the info in earlier post listing parts seems to be inexpensive, so add labor and you're there

It would help to know at what serial number (the last 5 digits of the VIN) this suspension change was implemented. Then we could just use our VIN to determine whether our MY had this included.
you'd think VIN's are assigned sequentially, but deliveries don't show the evidence of it.
vehicles will sometimes go for offline QC rework and corrections, or sit waiting for parts, or whatever.
the best you might do is ask your SA about the details of your VIN. If you haven't talked to an SA, start to now.

It would help to know at what serial number (the last 5 digits of the VIN) this suspension change was implemented. Then we could just use our VIN to determine whether our MY had this included.
If it isn't evident when you drive it that you have the more comfortable suspension then it isn't enough of an upgrade to worry over.

I did my test drive in March of this year and the MY was still a bit more compliant than my 2018 Model Y even though it was riding on larger wheels.

Hopefully they've continued to refine it based on feedback from the Euro market. European roads outside of the Autobahn are notoriously bad and Germans/Austrians in particular have extremely high expectations for suspension performance on the more expensive cars.

Some of the best reviews of the Model Y in the past year or so out of Germany praised the car but complained that on anything other than perfect roads the suspension was atrocious compared to the BMW/Mercedes/Audi competition.

Alright guys no more guess. Here are the suspension pictures. Best thing is you can check by your self too see if you have the 'new' suspension.

Previous damper:
Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 14.34.14.png

'New' damper:
Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 14.34.21.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 14.34.27.png

Alright guys no more guess. Here are the suspension pictures. Best thing is you can check by your self too see if you have the 'new' suspension.

Previous damper:
View attachment 872643

'New' damper:
View attachment 872644
View attachment 872645
@kithytom The main thing those pics show is a new design front upper control arm (FUCA). If the front coilover is different too it's really difficult to tell from those pics, and I certainly can't see part numbers, which would be the most interesting thing to compare - if this car in the photographs actually has the new coilover suspension.

If you're claiming the new, more comfortable suspension is from a FUCA change, I promise you it's not. Maybe Tesla revised the FUCA again at the same time, as part of the changes, but swapping FUCA alone won't give any meaningful comfort improvement.

Is that your car? What testing or comparisons have you done to determine that it has the latest, more comfortable suspension? Have you done a ride comparison with an older 2022?

If it isn't evident when you drive it that you have the more comfortable suspension then it isn't enough of an upgrade to worry over.

I did my test drive in March of this year and the MY was still a bit more compliant than my 2018 Model Y even though it was riding on larger wheels.

Hopefully they've continued to refine it based on feedback from the Euro market. European roads outside of the Autobahn are notoriously bad and Germans/Austrians in particular have extremely high expectations for suspension performance on the more expensive cars.

Some of the best reviews of the Model Y in the past year or so out of Germany praised the car but complained that on anything other than perfect roads the suspension was atrocious compared to the BMW/Mercedes/Audi competition.
Oof, my 2018 Model 3

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
Just emailed my SA and she told me my production date was Oct 14th. Which is the day the VIN (F5742XX) was assigned. Which is what I assumed as I know west coast usually get VINs assigned when car comes off production. East coast may get them assigned after shipping. She says that should mean I have the new suspension.

It is a great suspension IMO. Way nicer than my outgoing CX-5. I'm happy with it especially reading so many complaints about past suspensions. That said, I'm certain there have been other suspension improvements over the past year or so. Notable that Ryan Shaw on YT noticed a big difference between his 2022 (delivered well before October) and his 2020. So many other reports on these forums over the past year of better suspensions on both MY and M3.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
Just emailed my SA and she told me my production date was Oct 14th. Which is the day the VIN (F5742XX) was assigned. Which is what I assumed as I know west coast usually get VINs assigned when car comes off production. East coast may get them assigned after shipping. She says that should mean I have the new suspension.

It is a great suspension IMO. Way nicer than my outgoing CX-5. I'm happy with it especially reading so many complaints about past suspensions. That said, I'm certain there have been other suspension improvements over the past year or so. Notable that Ryan Shaw on YT noticed a big difference between his 2022 (delivered well before October) and his 2020. So many other reports on these forums over the past year of better suspensions on both MY and M3.
Well, I had a CX-5 as well that the MY replaced, and my 2021 MY (with old suspension, I assume) rides way better than my CX-5.

Picked up a 2023 MYLR VIN PF584 manufactured on Oct 19, 2022 out of Fremont. I assumed it had the comfort suspension, but noted the ride was bouncy on the drive home. Looking at this pics, I'm pretty disheartened as it looks like I didn't get the comfort suspension even though It was built way after the supposed cutoff day of Oct 7 for LR.

Attachments

• IMG_5716.jpg
    IMG_5716.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 238
Picked up a 2023 MYLR VIN PF584 manufactured on Oct 19, 2022 out of Fremont. I assumed it had the comfort suspension, but noted the ride was bouncy on the drive home. Looking at this pics, I'm pretty disheartened as it looks like I didn't get the comfort suspension even though It was built way after the supposed cutoff day of Oct 7 for LR.
@ogkris That photo you shared is only showing the front knuckle and upper control arm. Nothing to do with any ride quality changes.

The damper (shock absorber) is a separate part behind there, not visible in your photo. Also, quite possibly there is no visual difference on the damper exterior to differentiate the newest version from the previous version. Really need to get a photo of the part number to know what version it is.

In front it's a "coilover" suspension with the spring coiled around the damper. If I recall correctly Tesla considers the whole front coilover assembly to be one part (for each side of the car), only listing/selling it as a unit in the parts catalog.

Took delivery of my MYLR5 on November 1. First three of last six VIN digits are 585 (Fremont). Wondering if I have the new suspension or not. This is our first Tesla so I have nothing to compare it to. So if i picked the car up November 5 (VIN was assigned October 31), is it safe to assume the care was made after the announced 10/17 date for the switch-over?

Took delivery of my MYLR5 on November 1. First three of last six VIN digits are 585 (Fremont). Wondering if I have the new suspension or not. This is our first Tesla so I have nothing to compare it to. So if i picked the car up November 5 (VIN was assigned October 31), is it safe to assume the care was made after the announced 10/17 date for the switch-over?
I've heard some here with VINs as early as 570 think they have the comfort suspension. I also suspect that all 2023 MYLRs are getting it. My VIN is 564 and it's 2022, so I don't know if mine will have the new suspension.🤞