Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Dashcam USB formatting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solution to Tesla 'Format USB' Grayed Out issue:

1. On Windows, download / install free software aomei partition assistant (Download Magic Free Partition Manager Software - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard)
2. Open AOMEI Partition Assistant -> locate your USB disk -> Remove All Partitions -> Format USB Disk FAT32 (32kb)
3. Close AOMEI Partition Assistant and open Windows File Browser -> USB Disk -> Create folder TeslaCam
4. Eject USB Disk
5. In Tesla the 'Format USB' button will be enabled, DashCam will launch instantly as expected.

The issue is related to multiple partitions in USB disk (included unallocated partitions or invisible partitions). The solution above worked in latest 2020.36.11 version. Before the USB partitions deletion/reformat FAT32, tried various suggestions, including Tesla reboot, power off, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: allen514
And if you are wanting to partition a drive with 2 partitions, dash cam and music, I discovered some issues. Firstly, I formatted the cam partition as exfat (best for large video files) and the music as fat32. The car wouldn't recognize the music partition unless it was exfat also.

The music partition was sometimes there, sometimes not. Often I would get in the car with nothing playing (not where I left off) and had to search for that album again. So I decided that 2 partitions is flakey. Setup a separate drive with the tapta hub for music (fat32) and video (exfat) and all works well.

I can confirm exfat does now work witn 2020.36.12. I just went through the process above and I got the format option. When I selected it the message back was the drive would be formated exfat. I am using a 250gb ssd.

I was under the impression all you have to do is use the 2nd USB drive on the right, make sure nothing is connected to the first drive on the left when formatting. Insert the USB drive, go to security on cars menu and the FORMAT button will be enabled. Push and it gives you a warning about deleting all current files on the drive and that's it. It formats everything for you as mine is working.

I was under the impression all you have to do is use the 2nd USB drive on the right, make sure nothing is connected to the first drive on the left when formatting. Insert the USB drive, go to security on cars menu and the FORMAT button will be enabled. Push and it gives you a warning about deleting all current files on the drive and that's it. It formats everything for you as mine is working.

Some reader won't work. I bought an anker one off of amazon that has dual slots for different sized sims and it didn't work. It has to be a usb adapter that only has one slot. Once I got that fixed the formatting worked without issues.

No need to use your computer. I just took a USB drive right out of the blister pack, plugged it into the USB-A port and selected format from the screen menu - done in 10 seconds.

I tried that first and it didn't work. It seems like I read that if the SD card is greater than 32GB that it's better to format in a computer. For instructions on formatting on your computer, go to page 141 of your Model Y owners manual.